Author Topic: Junk mail claiming to have my lost pet  (Read 6869 times)

Offline JennyLynn

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Puddles (we miss you x) and Cookie
Re: Junk mail claiming to have my lost pet
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 14:21:11 PM »
There are some really sick people in this world. You did the right thing deleting and ignoring. Dont give up!!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: x x x x
St Gertrude, keep my cat all night
From trap or poison, thorn or bite,
From speeding cars and thieving men,
And bring him safely home again.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 23:54:52 PM »
The lady who used to look after the cat in London told me about someone that put a lost poster up. They got a call saying someone had the cat and it would be tortured unless they came up with a ransom  >:( - I think this one ended well though.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline YogiDot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Yogi, Daisy, Skye, Tiggy, Sally & Charlie
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 22:17:36 PM »
When I found Yogi I tried to trace his owners but drew the line at putting up "found" posters with a mobile number on it. 

A friend who put up lost cat posters was contacted and lured to a potential mugging (or worse) by some sick scammo.  Fortunately she took a family member with her to check out every sighting resulting from the posters, and on this occasion had smelt a rat anyway, so was safe.  The guy ran off when he saw her brother behind her.

I hope Bazza is found soon

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 21:43:49 PM »
When my Tilly was AWOL for three months a couple of years back we put posters up everywhere and as a result had phone messages from local chavs claiming they'd seen her body floating down the river. More than once we raced down to the river trying to see if there really was a dead cat there.  >:( It nearly tore us apart as it's the not knowing which causes more pain.  :'(

I've seen those scamming mails before. They are sick, sick people with too much technology and not enough brains to use it constructively.  :tired:

I really hope your pud turns up soon. As I say, we found Tilly after three months living rough in an overgrown garden 3 houses away. Very often they are very nearby but too scared to come out when you call.  ;) :hug: :hug:

Offline BazandGem

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bazza (missing since March 2010), Rossi and Joey
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 13:17:03 PM »
It was deleted as soon as I'd copied it - just thought it may make others aware it's a scam in case they were to fall for it. It's so generic it's unlikely they would, but you never know.

Gem x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 22:55:25 PM »
Delete and ignore hun.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 22:14:44 PM »
please delete email and ignore, the others arre right  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 19:38:09 PM »
It sounds like a typical Nigerian scam mail.

They have even sent Sharon an email offering an unwanted ultrasound scanner - obviously there was no scanner. What would have happened, is they would ask the charity to send them £500 or whatever for delivery and that would be the end of it  >:( - they have no scuples and will target anyomne they think is vulnerable. Don't be upset by it is nothing personal,  just the scum of the earth trying to con anyone they can.\

I used to run a B&B and I still get emails asking for rooms for 6 newly ordained priests for a week with meals included. I know how that scam works if people are vulnerable enough to fall for it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 19:40:23 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 13:30:41 PM »
Thats really sick
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 13:03:37 PM »
I remember this type of scam causing someone terrible pain before Purrs was born.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:59:35 PM »
sadly people do do this kind of thing  :hug:

Offline BazandGem

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bazza (missing since March 2010), Rossi and Joey
Junk mail claiming to have my lost pet
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:56:30 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've just received the following which presumably came as spam from one of the lost pet notices I've got all over the web at the moment about Bazza. Now, there is no Christ Embassy Church anywhere near me and I'm fairly sure it's an American who's written the email, and one who can't spell very well at that, so I haven't been taken in by it, but how horrible it must be if you actually fall for it and whatever ensuing demands these people make  >:(

Gem x

HELLO,
MY NAME IS PASTOR (MRS) LORIE CANDY. I AM AN ANIMAL VET AND ALSO ONE OF THE PASTORS OF THE CHRIST EMBASSY CHURCH. FEW DAYS AGO I SAW YOUR MISSING PET ROAMING ABOUT THE STREET AND I HAD TO RESCUE IT FOR KEEPS UNTIL I FINALLY FIND THE RIGHTFUL OWNER SO THAT I GET GIVE IT BACK TO HIM OR HER, BUT RIGHT NOW I AM ON EVANGELISM WORK FOR SOUL REDEMPTION IN NIGERIAIN WEST AFRICA, SO BECAUSE I DONT WANT YOUR PET TO BE ALONE AT HOME IN STATE I HAD TO TRAVEL DOWN HERE WITH IT. RIGHT NOW SINCE I FOUND YOU (THE OWNER), I AM HONESTLY WILLING TO RETURN BACK YOUR PET TO YOU, BUT YOU HAVE TO PROOF SOME REAL FACTS THAT YOU ARE THE REAL OWNER OF THE PET BY SENDING ANY RECENT PICTURE(S) OF THIS LOVING AND CUTE PET AND YOU MUST ALSO BE ABLE TO TELL ME HIS OR HER NAME AND THE EXACT DAY AND TIME THAT YOUR PET HAD BEEN MISSING. PLEASE YOU MUST ALSO BEAR IN MIND THAT WHEN YOU SATIFY THAT YOU ARE THE REL OWNER OF THSIS BEAUTIFUL PET, ALL SHIPPING AND ANY OTHER TRAVELLING EXPENSES WILL BE INCURED BY YOU.
ONE MORE THING, ARE YOU BORN AGAIN, CO WE ARE IN THE END TIME AND YOU MUST BE BORN AGAIN TO BE ABLE TO MAKE HEAVEN. GOD BLESS YOU AS I HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON.
PASTOR LORIE
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:57:10 PM by BazandGem »

Link to CatChat