Author Topic: feeding...me again LOL  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
Re: feeding...me again LOL
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 12:48:17 PM »
I was giving mine wet food morning and night, but i read on here that dry is better for getting weight on them, and as Ginny has always been on the slim side i've now started only giving wet once a day (same amount as before, just in one meal) as this encourages them to eat more of the dry throughout the day. :) Tis having the desired effect and Ginny looks much more of a healthy weight now.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 10:22:40 AM »
We have 5 small bowls of dry filled in the morning and in the early evening with a small wet treat during the day.    I tend to find I monitor all their intake and so won't refill if they have all eaten enough and cleared the bowls but hubby has a terrible habit of refilling them so I have to watch him now too  :evillaugh:

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 10:16:32 AM »
Mine have two main wet meals: one in the morning and one at about 6. Then another, smaller wet meal at about 10.30-11.00. I hide a small amount of dry food or treats in various places around the house for them to find at night. I give Poppy her dry on her chair otherwise the other two would get it.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 07:46:20 AM »
I mainly feed a small amount of wet about 3 times a day morning, afternoon and night and biscuits are always down, however I only adopt oldies so Byron is asleep most of the time and I really tend to feed her when she wants, she rarely touches biscuits, she only has 2 teeth.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 23:24:45 PM »
Ours get meat three times a day and have three small bowls of dried food out around the house. One they're emptied during the day they don't get topped up until the next day, because Sage is an utter piggy with biscuits!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 22:25:50 PM »
I feed mine 3 times a day with wet food at each meal, and dry food at night as well.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 21:09:32 PM »
There are so many different opinions on this, it is honestly a minefield! I have come to the conclusion that I go with what makes the cats happiest. Mine are all slllooooooowwww eaters so have found when I have tried (very hard!) to feed just two meals that mine pick at it and then we end up with wasted food and wingey cats not long later. Mine genuinely do like to graze so I feed two smallish wet meals, morniing and night and then measured dry is down for them to graze on in between. They don't scoff it as it's available as and when they want it.
All of our households run slightly differently so do what suits you and Sophie best.
I've been reading a lot of behaviourist articles recently as a friend of mine is doing a qualification so passes the stuff on and what I've read supports the idea that grazing is a part fo a cat's natural behaviour. Also very useful for cats with boredom issues- the articles I have read on using fouraging as part fo a programmes have been very interesting.
Again, lots of different opinions not only here but among professionals too so try things and then go with whatever suits you and Sophie. :)

Offline Robbo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 20:10:12 PM »
thanks for the info everyone thats helps loads :-)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 18:33:29 PM »
I give very little dry anyway (just use it as bedtime treats  :) ) and feed wet food twice a day. Cats don't really need food left down for them all the time.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 18:16:46 PM »
I have a sloooooooooooow eater, seriously life is too fun to be eating all the time. He gets a small handful of dry in the morning as well as 1/3rd of a tin of wet. He will pick at it all morning and by about lunch time it is gone. I feed dinner at 7:30pm every night - exactly the same as breakfast. He has usually finished the dry by the time I go to bed and there is always meat left so I leave it. When I get up the following morning I am presented with 2 empty bowls.

He does actually have a complex little routine to his eating.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 18:11:53 PM »
I feed 3 times a day.  In the morning before I leave for work, at teatime when I get home from work, and then before bed.  But they get wet at each mealtime (Mosi has a mix of wet and dry) and there is not dry food left down.

Offline Robbo

• Adult Cat
feeding...me again LOL
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 18:07:47 PM »
Right I know a few people feed morning and afternoon.... But what about night for those who fred dry and wet, is it left over night to?

I do wet on morning and dry all the time but some times she does not eat all the wet in morning coz she gets to her dry first, so should I take the dry away on the night time? All the dry is daily measured

Link to CatChat