Author Topic: WHAT A DAY  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: WHAT A DAY
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 13:56:48 PM »
I'd be nervous of a home check.

No need to be nervous.

Once a rescue takes in a cat or kitten they have a responsibility to ensure the right cat goes to the right home and this can best be done by going to the home and meeting the family. Very occasionally a home visitor has gone to a home that on the phone sounded perfect only to find that  one of the residents has stated  very clearly that they do not want a cat in the home. Or someone has not quite told the truth when speaking on the phone, so much easier to pick things up when face to face.

We also give a homing pack with numerous leaflets with offer advice on many topics to ensure a cat has the best possible chance of a long and happy life.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 13:41:15 PM »
I keep wondering what part of the re-homing criteria are people afraid of  :Crazy: ....what puts them off rescues???  :sigh:

Only one of my cats came to me through a rescue centre. And I have to say, I'd be nervous of a home check. I hate the idea of someone judging me and deeming me "not up to standard" or due to a difference of opinion regarding a cats needs, refuse me the chance to give a cat a loving home.

Having said that, I haven't actively sought out any of the other cats either - they were just meant to be part of my family, just like Old Mog who srcreamed at me when I went to the rescue to find a cat to come home with me!

They all rock! :Luv:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 13:22:18 PM »
what puts them off rescues???

Could it be the fact that we vet all potential homes and do not home to low life and insist that all kittens are neutered/spayed @6 mths old.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 13:24:03 PM by Ela »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 23:03:04 PM »
Such a shame things aren't getting easier for you Ela.
Ruth, part of the problem is people want kittens, they dont want the adults, we have had people say no to 4 month old kittens, cos they aren't kittens in their eyes - one person who wanted my kittens ended up getting farm kittens instead, as they were closer to her, and despite the fact that our adoption fee means you would pay a lot more by getting a free kitten, so it wasn't they didn't want to rescue, but it was more convenient. And sadly yes, a lot of kittens free to good homes will then go on to create more kittens free to good homes.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 16:50:31 PM »
....I just cant understand how all the rescues are full to the brim when peeps are obviously still wanting and advertising for kittens  :-:

It really makes me sad as these "kittens free to a good home" are potentially the (in most cases) future rescue kitties  :( :( :(

I keep wondering what part of the re-homing criteria are people afraid of  :Crazy: ....what puts them off rescues???  :sigh:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 16:02:31 PM »
My goodness when will it all end, today is the same as yesterday. The phone has just not stopped ringing  almost calls are for cats needing to come in and the odd call for a voucher. When I spoke of one of the white cats sleeping under a hedge yesterday it turned out that there were two more sleeping in a garden. All belonged from someone who moved. Thankfully as they are all from the same situation they can go in one pen.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 21:01:26 PM »
We seem to have been getting loads of calls too - one of the rescues is very kindly giving our number out a lot!! Everywhere does seem to be rather full though. Reading this has reminded me I meant to ring someone back to see if the stray she has been feeding has a chip or not, or needs a placement. just decided to ring her, and despite teh fact he stayed in her house all weekend, and she was goign to take him to be checked for a chip on Mon evening, but let him out Mon morning and he hasn't been seen since - I do wonder at times!! HAve told her to keep my no, and if he comes back and is unchipped, to let me know.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 21:04:30 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 16:58:45 PM »
I had 2 calls within 15 minutes this morning and expected the worse but touch-wood, no more since. There is no room anyway. Luckily Sharn has a spare private pen available for mum & kittens below.

The first one she said was a 4 month old kitten she has had for 4 days and it is in her bedroom. She claims her dog is an ex-rabbiter and if he gets her, she will be killed  >:(

The 2nd one, a cat has given birth to a litter in her garden (they will be nabbed today if possible if the woman comes back to answer her phone!)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 16:08:13 PM »
I've had loads of phone calls today as well  :tired:  I've got a mum cat and kittens that I am in the middle of trapping and another stray tomorrow coming in, I've just taken in one stray that's possibly pregnant and I've got 2 semi ferals to pick up as well and I got the grey/white last night  :Crazy:  It doesn't seem to calm down and all our local rescues are chocca as well. 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
WHAT A DAY
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 16:01:18 PM »
Today I have received so many phone calls, the phone has not stopped ringing. Over 30 cats have been added to our list of cats needing to come in since this morning, what a nightmare. I can bring in 2 immediately, one a kitten of about 3 months old that is sleeping under a hedge and another cat that has been sleeping under a hedge for weeks, ironically both are pure white.

Link to CatChat