Author Topic: We ARE doing a good job!  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
Re: We ARE doing a good job!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 09:43:22 AM »
Sick  :censored: >:(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 09:40:43 AM »
I was shocked when Liz mentioned poison, I'm 38 years old and have only known that people poison cats for about 2 weeks

I think DD has even had 2 of her own cats poisoned  >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 09:29:35 AM »
The point is re the lastest phone call about these cats in an area that we thought a while ago was sorted, is that someone DID actually call us...

However 7 un neutered cats is probably causing some problems for the residents and there is alot of back stabbing about whose responsibility it is to deal with this. so although some residents are feeding them (as they have been eating bread) some are not so bothered and just want rid of them...

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 09:26:25 AM »
I was shocked when Liz mentioned poison, I'm 38 years old and have only known that people poison cats for about 2 weeks

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 09:23:47 AM »
It's true - Julie and I are going to look at some cats with a view to trapping tomorrow. They have been breeding in a cul-de-sac. None neutered and being fed bread by residents  :( - there has even been talk of poison  >:( - it doesn't go away  :(

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 09:18:15 AM »
you are right Julie things are changing and you do see the very worst end of things -  I'm sure most people I know think all animals are neutered and fed because they don't have any dealings like rescue people do.  When I was a kid people only wanted male dogs or cats so they didn't get pregnant at least now a lot of people realise you can do something about that - don't loose heart, you are doing a great job - the  memory of your most recent kittens will stay with me for one

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 08:05:19 AM »
I lived on an estate where we had someone with unneutered cats and dogs, so kittens and puppies were easy to get - we might have contributed to the puppies, as we took on a 5yo unnuetered male, and my mum didn't think it was fair to neuter him at that age, but our cat was done, cos he used to come on caravan holidays with us, and when we got a female kitten off said person, she was booked in as soon as she ws old enough. I dont know if it was harder to get help with neutering then (going back about 12 years).
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 00:23:05 AM »
I'm sure things are better - against all odds. My carpenter said it used to be commonplace to find sacks of kittens washed up on the beach. I still find it hard to accept that there are so many cruel, heartless people in the world  :'(

Again, I was talking about this kind of thing with Gillian today and she said we can't allow ourselves to think about this kind of thing too much as it will just drag us down - all we can do is our little bit - so true - but sad  :(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
We ARE doing a good job!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 23:27:39 PM »
I was just sitting and thinking on past times - not a good sign as I'm turning into a grump old woman!  :evillaugh:

Anyway, I reminded myself about what life was like when I was a child. We had a little corner shop near us and the people that owned it had an unneutered queen. They kept it in the shop and it would nurse its kittens while sleeping on the grocery shelves. I was about 5 and would pester my mum to take me in there as I wanted the see the kittens - and puss was always nursing a litter all year round.  :tired: Back then, there were kittens to be found in at least one house on nearly every street... and this was one of the most affluent parts of South London. We never saw these adverts selling kittens for lots of dosh because if you wanted a cat, all you had to do was ask a friend or a neighbour and everyone would know of a litter ready to be rehomed. The local petshop always, (I mean always ) had kittens playing in the window. Sometimes 2 or 3 litters together... that's when you could get the petshop to accept kittens as they sold for about £3 each back then and there was not much profit in stocking them.

I also remembered the grim tales my dad told me. He worked an the railways and part of his job was making sure the embankments were clear and safe. He lost count of the amount of sacks of kittens and puppies he found thrown over the fence.  >:( Sometimes he could save them and get the RSPCA to take them, but often he was too late.  :'(

None of these things happen now, or when they do, they envoke outrage and publicity but 30 years ago, it was common place. No one wanted to adopt female cats and they knew they'd be stuck with kittens, and would have to try to find homes for them or drown them. Very few people even though about neutering.

So although it may not feel like it as times, we have matured as a society and the message is getting across. So keep up the good work everyone!  :wow: :evillaugh:

Link to CatChat