Author Topic: X POSTED FROM CAT CHAT - Animal Rescue Centre Facing Possible Closure  (Read 5471 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: X POSTED FROM CAT CHAT - Animal Rescue Centre Facing Possible Closure
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 18:45:24 PM »
yep thought that might be the root of the problem - disgruntled neighbours ... >:( YOu'd think with that much land you could do what you want - but nooooooooooooo there is always a whiney neighbour.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 18:42:48 PM »
Had a report on BBC east midlands as well ..... apparently the council have had 3 complaints of noise so they are going to make an unannouced visit to see for themselves if the complaints etc are unfounded.

It looks like they've had a bit of a mini reprieve.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 18:36:06 PM »
OK, I have sent them an email and will report back if there is a response.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 18:27:55 PM »
oooh BC if you can help them I'm sure they would be very appreciative.  Maybe you could drop Jo an email:

Jo Fairbrother
Second Chance Animal Rescue Centre
Back Lane
Chellaston
Derby
DE73 6TP
or email your letter to info@scarc.co.uk

Supporters can contact me on 01332 702070 or 07878 136153 email- info@scarc.co.uk for anymore information.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 18:24:11 PM »
'not needed' is not grounds for a planning refusal - there is more to this story. Can you get in touch with second chance and ask them to give you the details of the conversation with the planning officer. Sadly if the hearing was today there is possibly not much I can do to help. but if I know the actual grounds for refusal the possibility exists for either an appeal or a revised application. These people do not appear to have any understanding of the actual process they are engaged in and have possibly made fundamental mistakes in their application. They basically need professional planning advice which does not come cheap but if I know the grounds for refusal, I may be able to winkle out some possible alternatives for them. Let me know by PM.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Just seen a report all about this on Central News ... good report ... showed the tonights protest outside the council building etc.

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
Meddling ba :censored:ds.

Sent a letter over, hope it is of some help.

From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
good idea Sam! ;)
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: X POSTED FROM CAT CHAT
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 14:17:35 PM »
I have also sent an email to Central News (BBC) and East Midlands today (ITV local) to see if they could cover the story.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 14:32:45 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 14:04:30 PM »
Have sent email and will cross post onto the Hovel.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 13:02:24 PM »
this is an awful situation to be in.  Have sent an email... just hope it helps somewhat!?!
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 08:33:09 AM »
email send hope it helps.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 07:32:47 AM »
That about sums up what I have been saying about councils  >:(

Hopefully, they will suddenly realise that it is good for the community  :tired:. I think they should also get local schools involved - maybe ask the schools to have a poster competiton. The council should hang their heads to the floor  >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
X POSTED FROM CAT CHAT - Animal Rescue Centre Facing Possible Closure
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 05:51:53 AM »
Hello,

We have had the letter below from Second Chance Animal Rescue Centre in Chellaston, Derbyshire appealing for help - they are facing possible closure by the local council, as they have deemed the rescue is 'not needed', despite the huge number of dogs and cats they save each year. They need people to write letters or emails of support against the closure, or if you are in the area, to come along to their demonstration outside the Council Chambers, Corporation Street, Derbyshire on Thursday June 19th - 4pm to 6pm to peacefully protest against the closure.

They need all the support they can get - please cross-post this to other feline friendly forums!

Love & Purrs, from Gemini Cat,
Cat Chat, xxx

Here's the email from the rescue:

Hi
Please can you help us?

We are Second Chance Animal Rescue Centre ( www.scarc.co.uk )

We are a small family rescue in Derbyshire (UK) myself and husband have been doing rescue for 8 years now. 2 1/2 years ago we moved onto a farm property and we have 85 acres on here now. I rescue all sorts of animals, I currently have 30 dogs, 15 cats, 4 horses, 2 pigs, 7 lambs, 1 goat and 2 calfs. I have helped out with many kennels which put dogs to sleep and also I take in unwanted pets from members of the public.

I have helped Rescue Helpers Unite with cases and saved dogs lives, as well as hundreds more. All our dogs go to their forever new home, wormed flead, vaccinated and microchipped and now we have neutering vouchers to help spay etc so nothing goes amiss for our animals.

Just over a year ago I had someone from our local council ( Derby City Council ), and told us that because we had put a sign on our gate stating that we were advertising that the farm was being used as an animal rescue centre we needed to put in planning permission for "change of use", we asked what this was all about and he said there was nothing to worry about it was just to put things in the correct order and make known that the farm was being transferred from Boulton Edge Farm to Second Chance Animal Rescue Centre, he said it was straight forward.
We have not put up any new buildings we have just converted original outbuildings into indoor kennels with outdoor day runs.

We have a lot of good comments from people that come down stating that they have just been to another rescue near to us and that how disgusted they were to find dogs in very small kennels, dogs looking really depressed and barking or howling in desperation to get out, and then they come to ours to see dogs playing happy in special garden areas which are post and railed, big outdoor day runs and dogs just running and playing with others on the yard, they can see they are really happy, healthy and the main thing is they all get on, and it makes a difference.

(In the last 12 months we have rehomed over 800 dogs (and I have all the adoption forms to prove it).

Now that's not bad to say we only have 20 kennels, but our council are saying we are not needed, and that our local RSPCA which can only hold 30 dogs is sufficient in our area.

Last month (nearly 1 year from putting in the planning plans) I rang the council to find out what was happening as we have some big companies awaiting to donate floor tiles to revamp the indoor kennels and also a builder who is willing to put a brand new roof with proper insulation in to our main kennel block, but we are still awaiting a decision from the council. They first told me they had lost the file and forgotten about it then they found it and was going to look at it, after 3 hours they rang me to tell me they were refusing my application. I went mad and instantly got straight on the phone to our local paper, local radio station and also our local television news crew, everyone is really supporting us and know what a great job we do, they all came down and did interviews and then contacted the council which were shocked at what I had done and suddenly changed their mind to they will put my application to a committee meeting on the 29th May as we were a priority now.

I went round and got letters of support and a petition going and got it up to the council 4 days being the meeting like they said only to be told they were too busy to put us in that meeting and we would be considered for a later one.

Well today (2nd June) I had another call from the council to say that they have definitely put us for the next committee meeting on the 19th June, BUT they are still putting my case together and going for a refusal on my case, they really want me to close and risk the lives of hundreds of animals.

Now what I need is letters of support to state that we are needed to save lives (particularly those of death row dogs) and we must stay open to do this and also to try and let as many people know in the Derby, Nottingham or Leicester area (well anyone really ) that on Thursday 19th June between 4pm and 6pm we will be outside our council office protesting for us to stay open, the meeting is at 6pm and will be told that night if our hard working rescue can stay open. The council office address for the demo is-
Council House
Council Chambers
Corporation Street
Derby
DE1 1XB

PLEASE PLEASE CAN YOU HELP AND GET PEOPLE TO COME AND SUPPORT US ?????

We need this posting everywhere for people to read and hope they will either send me a letter of support or also come and join us on June 19th outside the council to prove that I do have support and to show them that our rescue must go on.
Letters of support can either be by email or snail mail, send letters by snail mail to
Jo Fairbrother
Second Chance Animal Rescue Centre
Back Lane
Chellaston
Derby
DE73 6TP
or email your letter to info@scarc.co.uk

Supporters can contact me on 01332 702070 or 07878 136153 email- info@scarc.co.uk for anymore information

I hope you can help me

Many thanks

Jo Fairbrother
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 14:23:15 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Link to CatChat