Author Topic: What do other peeps think of this woman?  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: What do other peeps think of this woman?
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 20:12:07 PM »
HK, in an ideal world of course we'd want the kittens to stay with mum a bit longer, but feral life is not an ideal world, is it? At 6 weeks a feral kitten is capable of surviving away from mum and they will get better access to quality food and health care in rescue than in the wild. They also come round a heck of a lot easier the earlier you get them. There is a dramatic difference between a kitten caught at 6 weeks than one left til 8 weeks. You won't tell the difference between a 6 week kitten born outside to one raised domestically after a few days of captivity, whereas with an 8 week old it will take over a week or so.

I don't understand why you think scruffing more traumatic than trapping. A kitten scruffed in the correct way and quickly placed in a carrier is probably less traumatised than one that has had the door slam shut behind it.
If these really were feral kittens, they'd claw her bloodless!
Not always. The knack is scruffing them in the correct way. Often, they come quietly as they are used to being scooped up like this by mum.  ;)

The is no genteel or completely stress-free way of capturing a feral cat or kitten, HK. You have to bear in mind they are wild animals, albiet ex-domestic animals mankind has let down. What really matters is your motivations for capturing them and putting them through that stress. I think scruffing a 6 week old kitten to give it proper food, shelter, healthcare and a welcoming lap to curl up on as opposed to letting it take it's chances outside is justified.  ;)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 19:38:58 PM »
One of the things which concerned me was the age at which she was trapping the kittens, in some cases 6 weeks. This seems far too young for them to be away from mum. She implied that she removed the kittens entirely from the colony, rather than just doing TNR. Even if she was returning them after recovery from op, mum would have lost her maternal bond.

The other thing I didn't like was the way she said she 'trapped' them.....by catching them by the scruff!  If these really were feral kittens, they'd claw her bloodless! It's also a very traumatic way to trap a feral.

For some reason she came across to me as not telling the whole truth. Her username and the way she parades the kittens made me wonder whether she was either breeding them, or catching ferals to sell. Maybe I'm just very cynical!  8)
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 17:57:00 PM »
I think its wonderful what this woman is doing, and she must commit so much time to the cause, and just think how many
unwanted kittens she may have prevented...maybe hundreds!!??!!

Perhaps its not the most ethical way in some peoples eyes, but she is doing no harm and for ferals they seem very tame and trusting of her.

Neither in the US nor the UK so we have the facility to neuter/worm/vaccinate ferals by vets, so maybe she is leading by example
that if there were more people like her we wouldn't have the appalling situation with unwanted cats that we currently do...

Good on her!

Offline Moggy73

• Adult Cat
  • mum to Boris, Poosha and Chicken
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 09:18:23 AM »
i think she is doing a grand job !! if only more people had her attitude..
She quite obviously loves cats and wants to help the feral's in her area, and by spaying and vaccinating them i dont see any negative in what she is doing ..
I didnt watch many of the vids but a long as no cat was harmed during their trapping i really dont see a problem with her passion .  8)
'one cat just leads to another'
    Earnest Hemingway

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 09:17:20 AM »
She's got top marks from me too!  :naughty: We should all do a little TNR as a hobby to overcome the stresses of daily life. It's wonderful for the karma!  :wow:

What about this woman's activities worries you, HK?  :shy:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 09:10:04 AM »
I'd happily give my cats their jabs as long as a vet had demonstrated correct dosages etc. I gave LJ his insulin for two years until the vet advised he wasn't given it after a hypoglycemic episode, and from what I've seen most jabs are given the same.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline RoXyKaZ

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 09:07:16 AM »
I think this woman is brilliant! she seems to be doing a great job from what i can see!  :)

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 08:59:16 AM »
It isn't that unusual in the US to be able to vaccinate yourself, there are quite a few on the US forum that do it - I personally wouldnt like to though. There seemed nothing wrong in the couple of videos I watched.

I was taught how to give vacs to dogs & cats when I worked at a rescue in the US, I can also do microchipping. To be honest I was taught by another girl who worked at the rescue - she wasn't a vet or anything.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 08:57:17 AM »
It isn't that unusual in the US to be able to vaccinate yourself, there are quite a few on the US forum that do it - I personally wouldnt like to though. There seemed nothing wrong in the couple of videos I watched.
Please spay your cat

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 08:54:22 AM »
I can't say I saw anythign in the couple of vids I watched that would raise alarm bells.... a woman after my own heart.  I talk away to all the cats like she does, they are my babies... I think what she is doing is great.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 08:40:44 AM »
I only saw the "Kittenland" video - and she was chatting to those kittens like they were her best friends. I thought it was ace.

Wtih regards to the vaccinations, she may have been shown how to give them by a vet - people who have diabetic cats have to be taught how to give insulin, how is it different? Just cuts own on the cost of a vet visit....which I would imagine is necessary with what she's doing.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 08:30:16 AM »
I dare not look!   

Go on be brave, I personally think it is heartwarming.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 08:29:05 AM »
I have not seen all the videos but the ones I have as far as I can see the lady is doing a wonderful job. The only thing I would do different is not to put a whole sausage in the feeding dish :)
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 08:26:33 AM »
One of her videos says she gets kittens to the clinic for spay/neuter from as young as 10 weeks old. No doubt she has a good vet who supplies her with vacs and she has been trained to do vacs. Shame there aren't more people like her in the world.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 04:52:51 AM »
ok, I don't have time to wade through all her videos, but, TBF I can not see anything in that posting that raises alarm bells. She traps ferals, provides them with a home and veterinary care, and from the apperance of her home, the cats are well-cared for. I am not sure why you would have a problem with that ...

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 02:42:57 AM »
I dare not look!  :scared: :shy:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
What do other peeps think of this woman?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 01:50:34 AM »
I was just browsing through youtube vids and came across a woman with the odd username of catweedhigh. She 'traps' and neuters ferals, and vaccinates them herself! I was shocked by some of the vids and her methods, surely this can't be normal for feral rescuers. Would love to know what other peeps think. I've left some choice comments on a few of her vids!

This is her channel link:

http://uk.youtube.com/user/Catweedhigh

I don't want to generate traffic for her, just want to know if anyone else thinks her methods are suspect.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Link to CatChat