Author Topic: Would you rehome cat/kitten when family has another baby on the way?  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
Re: Would you rehome cat/kitten when family has another baby on the way?
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 10:07:14 AM »
Benjy was around 7months when we got Archie - Benjy is now 2 and half and we have 3 cats (Purrcy being the youngest at around 11months) Never had any issues with child and cat - had to tell Benjy off a few times for chasing Purrcy around but he stops and leaves him alone when told. I plan having more children in the very near future and don't see any problems with having a baby and the cats. My cats have my time at night when we can all snuggle down and relax! A homecheck may give more insight for you maybe?
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 12:59:23 PM »
Such a difficult question -

It so depends on the family, which of course is hard because you wouldnt know what they are really like !!

I have a friend with 3 kids and i would NOT rehome a FLEA with her let alone a cat ! (Their kitten lasted 3wks before an accident with a heavy leather sofa, her 6yr old and the kitten  :'( :censored:)
but on the same token i have another friend with 3 kids and would rehome 100 cats with her !

Sorry not much help am i  :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 08:16:20 AM »
don't work in the rescue 'sector' so maybe my opinions aren't as valid as those who do and have had more experience in this type of thing . . . but I think that (if you have the time)

All opinions are in my opinion equally valued.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 16:29:02 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 08:13:05 AM »
With us  nothing is  black & white, it depends absolutely on the family and the attitude of the parents. We do not have an age limit on children of a family that can have a kitten. I know some branches of CP have an age 5 limit. We don't as in my opinion children don't suddenly become 'good' on their 5th birthday in fact many are becoming worse by that time. Also I feel parents are far more likely to keep a closer eye on a young child where as they may leave an older one in a room alone. In about 19 yrs of fostering I think I have known of only one young cat that was harmed by a youngster, unfortunately I cannot say the same for older children and adults.
I would also say that if we didn’t home whatever the age of the family then it could be classed as double standards as over the years many of the fosterers had small children or grandchildren that would come and stay for periods of time.

Having said that sometimes when there is a new baby or small children it is perhaps better to have a kitten that is a little older as it its temperament is more likely to be formed, or a cat who's temperament is known so the family know they are getting a cuddle cat which I think is really what a family prefers.

I would also say that when I have a kitten it reminds me why I prefer older cats.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 03:11:32 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 12:49:21 PM »
every case has its merits and its pitfalls.   Providing the right choice is made for the cat or kitten concerned that is what matters (IMHO)

I always say if you have a nagging doubt about something then delay!
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 10:51:08 AM »
I wouldn't
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 08:01:59 AM »
Personally, with 2 little ones and a third on the way, I can't see how they've got time to care for a cat?  :Crazy: :scared:

I had my first cat before my youngest arrived. When I discovered I was pregnant, my mother panicked. "You'll have to get rid of it", she said, and then went on to tell me all the nonsense her mum had told her about cats smothering babies and stealing their breath.  :rofl: In truth, when my daughter did come along, Tooshy worshiped her. We think he thought she was my kitten. Each day, he used to drop a dead mouse at the foot of her cot. Mum went nuts but then an Auntie said "He's trying to feed her". Mum thought Tooshy was cool after that.  8) And my daughter twigged that Tooshy was a kind of big brother and right up to the time he went to the bridge, Tooshy was the one said told all her problems too and he gave better advice than I ever did.  :evillaugh:

I do think you have to look at things on a case by case basis. If the children are quiet and gentle, and if the parents are relaxed and not twitching and glancing at their kids all the time and telling them to sit still, the odds are good.

I hate policies. They don't acknowledge experience and commonsense, and they don't protect against idiots and psycopaths.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 07:13:20 AM »
I don't work in the rescue 'sector' so maybe my opinions aren't as valid as those who do and have had more experience in this type of thing . . . but I think that (if you have the time) each request should be taken on an individual basis and assessed on its own merits, rather than having a blanket 'ban' on kittens/young cats going to a household with a new baby/toddlers.

Personally speaking, cats came first into my life. When I had my daughter, her needs were attended to but my 'first borns of the furry variety' still came first  :evillaugh:  Seriously though - not all people who have children suddenly abandon or neglect their cats. Of course, I go to rescue shelters and I see the 'new baby' reason given for why the poor cat is needing a new home and I just can't understand it. The only time I suppose it makes sense is when the cat is stressed out by the new baby - but from a responsible cat owner point of view, steps can be taken to ensure that the cat doesn't get to the point of being that stressed!

If the people who are requesting a kitten from you are on their 2nd or 3rd child then they probably have a handle on the whole new baby thing. I think we've all seen people juggle a lot more! And again, from experience, if good behaviour around the cat is modelled then the child pickes this up - my daughter NEVER ONCE picked up or pulled around our cats as she was growing up - and even now (aged 6) she knows that she doesn't pick them up. They have a great relationship with one another (see side pic!) and waits for a cat to come to her to sit with/on her, not the other way around. It's all about setting a good 'training.'

If a kitten is homed at about 3 months (is that right? I've never had a kitten before) and the potential owner is still pregnant, then the cat may well be just over a year old before potential baby-pulling. (If you know what I mean . . .) Plenty of time for 'training' on all sides!

Ultimately, I suppose I would look at the family, their cat owning experience and the behaviour around cats of their existing children. Then you might be able to get the measure of them. Part of me thinks that if they don't get a kitten from you and are set on getting one, they'll go to the free-ads in the local paper and get one regardless - and I'm not keen on perpetuating the supply/demand of back garden breeders. At least you will be able to offer them advice . . . . . . .

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 23:32:12 PM »
I think given a choice, I would rather rehome where there's a baby than a toddler but that's my opinion.  When we moved to Wales nearly 20 years ago, sadly my cat got run over, we'd only been here a few weeks and I was heartbroken and pregnant.  I did go out and get another kitten and I had no qualms or worries about having him here whilst I was pregnant.  I think it depends on the family but if you have doubts, I would say no. 

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 18:34:45 PM »
We don't re-home kittens (under 6 months) to households where there are children under the age of 4 to 5.

I'm afraid that we've had too many incidents of kittens hurt (albeit unintentionally) by children. There have even been cases of kittens being killed by mishandling. Kittens and children are essentially going to grow up together and therefore it is important to engender a really good relationship from the beginning. Little kittens, by their very nature, are very bitey and scratchy. As adults we barely even feel it, but to children it can really hurt and be offputting to them.

We tend to consider each case seperately and look at whether they have provisions in place to keep the cat and baby seperate when alone, what temperement the cat has, and i'm afraid to say it, but a general "feeling" of whether they are fully prepared for the demands of a cat when they are going to be pre-occupied with a baby. Of course we have re-homed young cats to households with young children very successfully before and many many people have success with babies and cats/kittens, this is just from a rescue centre point of view.

I think it's important to have guidelines in place, but to also realise that there are exceptions to this that can be looked at! Hope this all makes sense!

Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 17:48:42 PM »
If it was a nice responsible sensible family then yes but not a kitten. Some kids are lovely but they dont know their own strength and kittens are too easily manhandled.
Would have to be a laidback cat who could handle changes

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 17:28:33 PM »
No  - sorry I wouldn't.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 17:20:20 PM »
Well my cat and I were pregnant at the same time.  I had never ever heard the excuse “I need to rehome my cat because a baby is on the way” until I came on this forum.  I would not write them off completely unless there are other reasons, you will be able to assess the situation when you do the home check.

Good luck

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 17:18:01 PM »
personally speaking, no I wouldn't home a young kitten to a family with a pregnant mum / baby on the way.  I'd recommend they wait a while.

Older cat, then yes possibly depending on the family and the cat involved.

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 17:11:42 PM »
Yes i realised the question would be abit like that.. But it would be interesting to knows peoples views. I have also homed cats to loads of families..and its all turned out okay,.
But new babies.....not so sure.. It depends i suppose.. Would you put a kitten in a home with a crawling baby..? Again open for discussion!

We have had kittens returned to us due to be "pulled and prodded" by littleuns! Always suggest adult cats to young families... Not kittens, but they dont always take my advice!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 17:13:36 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 16:59:44 PM »
oh dear! I think you've left yourself well and truly open to :poke:

:sneakin: :rofl:

totally depends on the family, Some of the best homes I've had have been with larger families - and some of the worst of course!

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Would you rehome cat/kitten when family has another baby on the way?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 16:40:05 PM »
I have had two calls today from people that are expecting their second or third child and want to adopt a cat..!
Nothing wrong with that, but how do they find the time?
Personally, i am not keen rehoming kittens or young cats to new families... as the nearest hint of a scratch and they are back with us....

We recently rehomed an 9yr old tiger puss Tazz because the owner said he was "attacking the baby"!

Views, opinions!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 16:40:57 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat