Cat Health & Behaviour > Health & Behaviour General

something wrong with cat's throat

(1/3) > >>

Millys Mum:
My last cat had steroids for Lymphoma, they can sometimes shrink the tumour. It didnt work for him but a friends cat with the same problem did get extra time with the same treatment.

Im sorry to hear about Tobys diagnosis? :(

Rosella moggy:
Don't quote me but I thought steroids could sometimes be useful to encourage appetite? I've not heard of steroids causing toilet probs.

I personally would need convincing to go the Chemo route after a friend's experience with a much younger cat. I would seek a 2nd opinion from a vet with as much experience as poss of cancer treatment. Is Toby insured by any chance?

It doesn't sound hopeful I have to say and I do sympathise with you being so far away and having the added worry of how this is affecting your mom. My mom's 84 and I'd hate her to have to face such a predicament for one of mine.

Ela:
Again I did not read the post properly, sorry. Many times I have had cats who needed steroids for different ailments, none have ever weeed and pooood everywhere. They do however, make cats very hungry and as the little one has problems eating  this could be an added problem  I personally have not heard of steroids for cancer.

Kathryn C:
Thanks for your replies (so quickly, too! :) )   I was surprised to hear that about steroids but apparently it causes them to lose control and they forget where the litter tray is and/or they can't make it there on time.   If anyone has had experience with steroids it would be helpful to hear about your experiences.  I think one person on Cat Chat had said to avoid steroids as while it helps while they are on it, once they come off of it they get ten times worse. 

I'm not sure about any cat hospices in her area - she's in the US in the midwest. 

Since i posted I've found a few websites where people have detailed their experiences with their cats and cancer and the whole treatment process does sound awful (hence more tears) - where as just letting him be and let him enjoy the last few months seems kinder in some respects.  I guess I keep thinking it would be great if he could be treated and still have several more years of life.  I do know my mom very well of course and I know she is watching his every move and is worried sick so despite how difficult it is especially from so far away for me to say let him go I know deep down it probably is best. :(  Will see what happens when she takes him to the second vet hopefully tomorrow - just dread her putting her down without telling me first.

Anyhow, will keep checking here for anyone else's experiences.  Thanks.

Gill (sneakiefeline):
So very sad to hear this Kathryn and you know we are hear for you what ever happens. If it is cancer and it is getting hard for him to eat and stuff sadly.......... :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version