Author Topic: What to feed?  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: What to feed?
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 16:28:31 PM »
Complementary doesnt = junk tho   :P

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 10:29:09 AM »
I was wondering that myself when I saw this thread! 

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 10:25:11 AM »
I think it used to be - what happened?  :Crazy: :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline No Name

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 10:19:40 AM »
I just wanted to make the point not to make the mistake of giving a cat hi-life pouches exclusively. I wasn't even aware until last year there were complete and complementary foods and can't be the only person that didn't know. Some people might feed it exclusively thinking they are giving their cats a wonderful diet due to the high meat content. I think there should be a big warning on the box as the average cat owner just buys cat food without reading the small print.
well thank you for that , I didnt know that either, I just thought cat food was cat food :Crazy:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 09:41:10 AM »
I just wanted to make the point not to make the mistake of giving a cat hi-life pouches exclusively. I wasn't even aware until last year there were complete and complementary foods and can't be the only person that didn't know. Some people might feed it exclusively thinking they are giving their cats a wonderful diet due to the high meat content. I think there should be a big warning on the box as the average cat owner just buys cat food without reading the small print.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 08:20:04 AM »
Actually, feeding HiLife complementary with a decent amount of dry isn't actually giving them the equivalent of McDonalds, as long as you get the ratios right, it is a good combination, cos you get teh high meat content of the wet, and if feeding soemthing like JWB, they are getting a good quality dry too. I prefer to feed the pouches of HiLife though, as I dont like them having too much fish, esp not for males.
Please spay your cat

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 14:53:35 PM »
Mine are on Bozita from Zooplus very good price and high meat content they love them esp the fish varieties

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/bozita

hth
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 14:04:56 PM »
One of my cats - Dino- has a very sensitive stomach and stuff like Felix and especially Whiskas can really upset his stomach. I have fed mine a complete dry food for years now and the one I have had most success with is Nutro Choice Complete. One of my other cat's Bronte is quite fussy and even she loves this stuff, although she will only eat the chicken flavour. They get Hi-life or Iams wet as a treat. My vet even told me recently that they consider Nutro a good food and it works out quite well re the finances. You can order it on zooplus although it is same price in local pet shops so I just buy it there. If you decide to change food just remember to slowly introduce it by mixing it in with their current food.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 13:58:45 PM »
the hi life essentials pouches are complete as are the tins.  I can't remember what is and isn't complete off hand but I know there are some complete adult foods and the kitten/junior is complete.  It's a shame the poultry pouches aren't complete as Mosi loves them - he likes them better than the essentials pouches that are complementary.

Offline katbuzz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 13:54:02 PM »
I don't know if you know but you can send off for a free felix kitten pack http://www.catslikefelix.co.uk/, with vouchers for kittens and adults, free food, a folder and a kitten toy. Whiskas has a kitten pack too http://www.freekittenpack.co.uk/ with free food, vouchers and a folder with useful info. Our adult cats get different food as the kittens have kitten food at the mo and I feed them in different rooms which has worked out fine  :)

I feed the adult cats the Felix good as it gets as a treat as they love it too. I recently tried natures menu but they are not keen (neither am I as it reeks) are all the higher content meat foods pate or are some of them chunky?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 12:55:35 PM »
I think the small tins - ie Tuna Imperial, Turkey giblet pate etc are complete but the pouches and big tins are only complementary - although they are high meat content, they don't have the vitamins, taurine, sugars etc added to make them a balance meal. I only found out last year and stopped giving clapton the pouches as he wanted to eat those more than regular pouches.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 12:47:40 PM »
Ah okay I get it :ok: they can have it a couple times a week then for a treat maybe and just JWB the rest of the time.

I wouldn't ever eat at McDonalds myself so i'd hate to think my cats were having the feline equivalent!  :sick:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 12:40:40 PM »
I thought the Hi-life tins would be good for them cause it is so much actual fish and not rubbishy filler. Is that wrong then?  :-[
They get the hi-life and then some JWB mixed in.

No - it's not wrong!  ;D  The hi life is all good stuff.  I feed a mix of wet foods so I don't worry that some of them are complementary as most are complete.  Only thing to be careful of with the fishy hilife, Dawn, is that they are (I think) high in magnesium so maybe not best for every day?

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 12:37:23 PM »
I thought the Hi-life tins would be good for them cause it is so much actual fish and not rubbishy filler. Is that wrong then?  :-[
They get the hi-life and then some JWB mixed in.
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 12:33:40 PM »
The little giblet pate tins are complete too. Feeding a complete biscuit and complementary wet is ok.

Go cat complete is junk not complementary hi life with all the meat!  :o :o

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 12:32:50 PM »
Some of the Hi-Life range is complete (all the kitten range is complete as well as some of the adult range) and if the cats are having dry food as well then it's not a problem if it's only complementary.

Stocking up on Natures Menu when Pets at Home have it on special might be a good idea as well as then it works out cheaper than brands like Whiskas and Felix. Even full price I think it's about the same cost as Felix and Whiskas and much better quality (70% meat as opposed to 4% meat!)
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 12:26:14 PM »
Some of the hi life is complete, Mark.  I think the fishy tins are complete.   Jaffa likes those too, but I dont like feeding him fish every day.  Too high in phosphorus for him too.  You can get the smaller tins in packs of 4 pretty cheap too.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 12:22:13 PM »
The only problem with hi-life is that it is only complementary so more of a treat than a food - McDonalds for cats  :evillaugh:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 12:19:34 PM »
Have you tried the hi-life cans? They are around 60-70% real fish and our cats love them!

PAH do them for about 40p each single 400g cans - we used to buy 20 of them for the month (less than £10) and then buy James Wellbeloved for the dry food - works out at about £20 a month for three cats and you know they are getting good quality healthy food  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 12:13:27 PM »
I think the AGAIL type foods are a rip-off. They still only contain 4% meat. If you are feeding 3 cats, you may as well use cans. Tesco own brand has twice as much meat in and costs 34p a can (Even less if you buy multipacks). My cat clapton is really fussy but he loves tesco own.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
Aww - what cute babies  :Luv:

Have you checked the prices on zooplus?  They sell felix but I don't know the price.  It may be cheaper than what you're paying.  It's free delivery.

I buy stuff like bozita and animonda carny from zooplus, both of which are good quality foods (high percentage meat and no grains, artificial colours etc).  They come in tins (or tetra pak cartons in the case of bozita) and cost aroudn 50--60p for 370-400g, so would probably work out cheaper than the felix pouches you're using.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 12:11:11 PM »
Stock up when they put them on offer at 2 for £5   ;D

Offline No Name

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver
What to feed?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 11:46:14 AM »
some time ago I introduce Mrs Moggs to Felix As good As It Looks. she loves it an wont eat anything else. Most cat food she just licks off the gravy or jelly and wont eat the meat, but with the Felix G.A.I.L. she eats every scrap, clean bowl everytime. the problem is the price. It is £3.89 (ish) for 12 pouches and she has 2 x 12 per week =£7.78 plus dried bics. this is OK for me at the mo as she is the only cat.

However, in approx 12 days there will be two more, Ruby and Peach 8 week old kittens. so if I carry on with the Felix I am talking about £23.34 + per week for 3 adult cats in time.

My problem is this, I want to introduce the kittens to a well known stores own brand which is considerably cheaper, I am sure they will be OK as my friends cats all thrive on this. BUT, if Mrs Moggs is still eating the 'good stuff' then the kits will naturally want some too and will probably then turn their noses up at anything less.

Have any of you any ideas for feeding 1 adult (fusspot) and 2 kittens so that eventually we are all in a win-win situation?

The easiest answer is don't get the babies, but I am so looking forward to them coming, Ruby is for me and Peach is my daughters. Of course she will help out with the feeding and care costs but it is still allot of money to spend from a small income on cat food.

Ruby (SH tortie) and Peach(SH tabby) are litter sisters and are moggski kits MM is a cross of two pedigree breeds, I know this doesn't really matter but it may be helpful
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 11:48:02 AM by ickle »

Link to CatChat