Author Topic: Mating behaviour  (Read 1516 times)

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Re: Mating behaviour
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 19:54:39 PM »
Harry also would do this with Lyla, I think he got very confused when she came into heat and it would carry on for a while but has stopped now. Harry is also a year and a half older than her.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 19:53:25 PM »
Cats dont mature socially til they are 3 years old, so could be the start of him taking over as top cat?
Has he been checked over to check that there hasnt been a botched neutering and a retained testicle left behind

No, he hasn't been checked for that. I'll mention it the next time I talk to his people!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 19:52:45 PM »
No problem, BC. ;) I'm of the opinion that with cats, there's always more to learn - hence asking quite a lot of questions even though I have a small library of cat books!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 19:50:10 PM »
I'm actually studying advanced feline psych, by the way! Just wanted more input. :))

THere, I knew we  had one somewhere!! :rofl: :rofl: sorry JS, my forgettory is working overtime apparently ... :-[

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 19:46:06 PM »
Cats dont mature socially til they are 3 years old, so could be the start of him taking over as top cat?
Has he been checked over to check that there hasnt been a botched neutering and a retained testicle left behind

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 19:37:53 PM »
One of my mums cats still tries to hump their dog and another cat. So it could be hormones still there or showing whos boss. I think this only happens when he is excited though.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 19:31:22 PM »
Bedrooms were swapped round a little while ago, but the behaviour didn't start until about a month ago.(I'm actually studying advanced feline psych, by the way! Just wanted more input. :)) Has to be said, the female has always been quite bossy with the male, I think maybe he's just trying to show her who's boss. Apparantly, she makes some awful noises when it's happening.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 19:27:23 PM »
teenage pack status games? Need one of our behaviourists in on this one I think. Nothing else changed in their environment?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 19:24:10 PM »
They're both about a year and a half. There's not much difference in age. It's very odd, they've always got on really well but the male has suddenly taken to dominating the female and biting her back and climbing on her - that sounds like mating behaviour to me. The female was done at around four and a half months (she was calling) and the male at around six.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 18:31:43 PM »
How long ago? Smidgen was still 'trying it on' for a few months after the op. It just slowly eased off after a while. The other possibly explanation is dominance behaviour, but not something I have observed in cats so much as dogs ...

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Mating behaviour
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 18:28:05 PM »
Is it possible that a tom will still instinctually try and mate a spayed female, even if he's neutered? Both cats were done as soon as recommended (the female was actually spayed earlier as she started exhibiting "in heat" signals.)

Link to CatChat