Author Topic: Raw Chicken Wings  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Raw Chicken Wings
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 16:50:38 PM »
We tried them here and the Clan played with them but looked at me if I was trying to Kill them with odd food, so then tried the dogs and they licked them and gave up on the other hand the dogs bones are fair game for all!!! :shocked: :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 14:40:23 PM »
My two weren't interested in the wings either and refused to even lick one! I have read about cutting them into three at the joints to make them more manageable for the first timer (if you can bare to do it what with being a veggie :shy:)

I think a lot of the products are to help avoid plaque build up rather than get rid of a heavy coating of plaque eg special biscuits, logic gel, plaque off. I did use logic and plaque off but unfortunately lapsed a few years ago... My boys had their jabs last night and Lu has to have a scale and polish as his are getting bad (he's 5) but the vet explained it's better to act now than for him to get bad in a few years time and get receding gums or need extractions  :doh:

He did a demo with a screwdriver that he painted tippex on (thin coating to represent after a scale and polish, he said there's no point feeding it before) and pushed the screwdriver into a Hills special toothcare biscuit to show how the structure of the biscuit inside stripped the coating off the screwdriver - it did actually work so will look into it after Lu has his teeth done.

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 12:59:30 PM »
Thanks Stuart. I think I will try once more and then give up.

Any other suggestions about what to do to keep Izzi's teeth clean are most welcome. The vet said they aren't great and she is only 4!
 :Crazy:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 06:28:19 AM »
Hiya Carolyn, Fellow veggie here  ;)

When Misty started going off his food,  tried him with chicken breast and He absolutely loved it  :wow:
I cut it into small bite size pieces, He just purred and grinded it all down. Just wished I had tried him
with it sooner  :doh:

Not sure about defrosting but i would treat it the same as cat food, If it ain't eaten within a day
Bin it
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 23:31:46 PM »
It doesnt sound like she is interested them so I would chuck all of them.

I had been trying to buy one for Lupin but cant get one from anywhere.......sigh

Offline carolynl

• Adult Cat
  • my boy Jijo
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 21:04:52 PM »
After reading this thread I went out and bought some chicken wings for Izzi, she just licked hers and then left it. Now I don't know whether to leave it out for her or throw it away. I am a vegetarian so I don't really know how to handle meat products and I am worried that If I leave it too long it will make Izzi ill if she goes back to eat it later.

Can anyone advise on how long it is safe to leave the wing out for her and also how long to defrost each time please.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 13:36:35 PM »
Thanks Gillian, I'll have another look next week might be that they'd sold out. I don't want to scare the cats as they haven't had anything raw before. Do you think most butchers would have organic chicken wings?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 13:15:52 PM »
Chicken thighs have bone in  :) The bone might be a bit more difficult for first time bone eaters as they are a bit chunkier than wing bones  ;) . I don't know about organic wings - I thought Sainsbury's used to do them, but must admit I've not seen them lately. You'd maybe have to go to proper butcher for organic wings.

Its actually both - the tearing of the meat and the crunching of the bones, that is good for the teeth.  :)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 13:05:31 PM »
Does anyone have any idea where I can get raw organic chicken wings? I usually shop in sainsburys and they don't have any. They have chicken thighs would these do the same job. I  don't suppose they have any bone in them. Is it the chewing of the raw meat that is good or do they need to chomp on the bone? I'm veggie so have no idea about meat I'm afraid. 

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 16:28:14 PM »
Actually, that's exactly what I'm planning to do!  :rofl:

He'll be all over us then.

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 20:41:36 PM »
Having read the thread I thought I'd try chicken wings out on The Munchkin.

He gave me that 'are you mad??' look and sauntered off in disgust  :-:

I now have 11 chicken wings in the freezer  :doh:

cover them in sweet chilli sauce and pop them in the oven , then eat them in front of munchkin :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 16:43:10 PM »
Ah yes but they would be cooked then and what cat can refuse a nice bit of cooked chicken without bones LOL

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 15:24:15 PM »
Thanks!

I've cut said wing into smaller chunks and have left it in his bowl in the hope he will be more interested later. However, judging by his expression, I'm not optimistic  :)

Of course, were I to make something nice from said chicken wings for our tea, it'd be a completely different story  :shify:

Offline Poppy Seed Cats

• Adult Cat
    • Poppy Seed Cats - Cat collars, accessories and cat art.
  • Slave to: Jazz, Marble, Kiwi
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 15:18:33 PM »

:rofl: Kiwi did the same. Try cutting one up into small bitesize chunks in a few days and feeding as a treat or pretend you accidentally dropped something yummy that he's not allowed to have. Hopefully it will work otherwise you will be stuck with a freezer full of wings.

Also try running it under a warm tap before feeding because they like to eat them at mouse temperature, make sure the waters not too hot because you just want to warm it not cook it. Good luck  ;)

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 14:34:16 PM »

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 11:43:55 AM »
Sainsburys it is then, I will freeze them seperately as well, the ones I've got are already frozen and a pain to get one out. If Wordy had his way I would just defrost the lot.

Nicky

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 11:31:50 AM »
they musnt eat cooked chicken bones but raw are ok

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 02:02:42 AM »
ooo i think i will give my 2 a try at this!! I do have a feeling that i will stumble across half eaten ones though as they are fussy sometimes - might share 1 at first!

I always thought cats shouldnt eat chicken bones for the same reason as dogs.....but i suppose they eat birds and mice so dont know why my train of thought followed that path hahaha!!

My cat Nuggie growls if he has a mouse - i think its a "get back people, i will fight you if you steal my prize" warning :rofl:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Poppy Seed Cats

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 00:27:59 AM »

I bought mine from the butchers for £2.99 for 12, they are frozen, Wordy was licking at it as I was trying to separate one for him.

I bought sainsburys basics for Jazz, they were only £1.61 for about 20 and I've individually wrapped and frozen them to make life easier. They look like they are ok quality and my friend who raw feeds her dogs has never had any problems with the supermarket basic range.

There's some great info about raw feeding here http://www.rawfed.com/myths/cats.html if anyone wants to read more  :wow:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 11:43:59 AM »
Thats cute that Jazz growls while he's eating it, it took Wordy about 3o minutes, I didn't give the other 2 any as they were asleep. Will try them next time.

I bought mine from the butchers for £2.99 for 12, they are frozen, Wordy was licking at it as I was trying to separate one for him.

Poppy is a sulker as well, it must be a girl thing!  :rofl:

Offline Poppy Seed Cats

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 02:54:53 AM »
Jazz had his second chicken wing tonight, I've decided on giving him one twice a week. He growled the whole time again but polished it off in super speed. He seems happier than usual too.

I only defrosted one for Jazz since Marble didn't seem bothered last time and I gave her chunks of raw chicken instead but she sulked all night because she wanted what Jazz was having and refused the cut up chicken breast. It looks like Jazz will get to eat 1 and a half chicken wings twice a week instead lol.

Kiwi still doesn't seem bothered. It's hard enough getting her to eat anything at all anyway. Shes so picky but a healthy weight so I'm not too worried.

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 18:24:16 PM »
Wordy has had his 1st wing, I couldn't bring myself to cut it up, he managed well and I did watch him with it, he ran off from the kitchen into the bedroomwith it!!!

Hope Jazz gets some and enjoys it.

Nicky

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 13:18:12 PM »
Thankyou Gillian. Off out now, Chicken wings for the cats and white choc mice for me.  :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 13:02:43 PM »
Stupid question but do you leave the skin on?
Nicky

Yes, absolutely  :) If its the first time with chicken wings, I'd recommend cutting into 3 at the joints (good poultry shears will do this).  :)

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 12:52:28 PM »
I'm going to get some today for my 3, I know one who will surely eat it!! Wordy is a food thief, anything goes with him. Better make sure he doesn't eat it on my new rug!!
Stupid question but do you leave the skin on?
Nicky

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »
My Benglies have them once a week x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Poppy Seed Cats

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 01:27:15 AM »
Jazz is at his ideal weight which is 4.3 kg, he's a big cat and made up of a lot of muscle so hopefully he shouldn't gain any weight. I was thinking of replacing his evening meal twice a week with it but may just try it as a snack for now.

Thanks for everyone replies :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Raw Chicken Wings
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 21:46:33 PM »
I would think a couple of times a week would be fine. Are they overweight at all? If they are then I would slightly reduce the amount of food (for the ones tat eat it!) that day but if they're a normal weight then it's a nice healthy snack for them.

My two boys are with Kiwi  :evillaugh:

Ditto! :evillaugh:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 21:11:05 PM »
My two boys are with Kiwi  :evillaugh:

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 21:06:51 PM »
raw things scare my cats :Crazy:
mo did try some chicken liver but she cant really chew so she walked around with it stuck to her cheek :sick:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 16:42:55 PM »
Gillian is the expert on this

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 15:36:28 PM »

Jazz is the only one that will eat them which is good since it's his teeth that need cleaning.

Marble nibbled on hers then got bored because it was too much effort and Kiwi just looked at me as if to say "what the hell is that?"

Twix pulled that face the first time now he chews his for a bit and then hides it so i have to go hunting for a mushy chicken wing urrggghhhh  :sick:

Offline Poppy Seed Cats

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 14:55:12 PM »
Jazz is the only one that will eat them which is good since it's his teeth that need cleaning.

Marble nibbled on hers then got bored because it was too much effort and Kiwi just looked at me as if to say "what the hell is that?"

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 14:51:18 PM »
how brilliant, never managed to get mine to eat them!

I'm sure Gillian or someone who knows will be along at some point

Offline Poppy Seed Cats

• Adult Cat
Raw Chicken Wings
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 14:22:17 PM »
Hi all, you may remember my post a while back about Jazz having to have his teeth brushed and some of you said to try raw chicken wings.

Last night Jazz had his first raw chicken wing and was super happy, he acted like he had killed something and growled the whole time while eating it as if he had brought a mouse in. He's a very powerful cat so there's no chance of saving anything he ever catches.

My question is: How often should I give him a chicken wing for him to get any benefit from it? Also should I feed him it as a treat or replace one of his meals with it?

Link to CatChat