Author Topic: Ferel Cats  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: Ferel Cats
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 18:42:41 PM »
Is tunisia one of the countries that cull the ferals each winter and encourage them for tourists in the summer?

Oh god i hope not but it wouldnt surprise me as they locals were not very cat friendly !!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 17:55:21 PM »
Me OH and another couple went to Costa Blanca a few years ago and adopted cat who we named Pedro for the week. I remember him as a very well fed (not so little) fusspot who turned his nose up at chicken. 

Me and OH went to Costa del Sol a couple of years later and rented an apartment with a balcony. We were met on arrival by a large well fed ginger who we named Billy and adopted for the week. He slept on the throw on the settee and used to rattle the railings by the window (I kid you not) when he wanted to come inside.  Just before we left I turned the throw on the settee the otherway around (you've guessed it) only to find the other side covered in ginger hairs as well. 

Also a sister of a friend of mine has recently bought a property in Cyprus and I have no doubt a few more cats will be fed as a result.  I remember visiting an old monastery just outside Limassol where they take care of hundreds of cats and spay as many as they catch or can afford to.

Just wanted balance things out a little altho I have also seen too many stray cats/kittens abroad. Ended up once feeding ham and cheese to a little colony near our hotel in Portugal for a week coz I couldn't track down any catfood!  The Brits aren't however the only cat lovers....

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 17:20:48 PM »
Michelle, thats a cool idea, check its ok with customs tho as you dont want them confiscated!

Id like to go on a working holiday with a TNR group, i dont think i would find it very relaxing seeing all the strays if i wasnt there doing anything about it  :(
Btw Sarah it wasnt a feral cat you petted, they would eat your fingers lol

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 17:08:56 PM »
Breaks my heart how most animals are treated over there  :'(

I agree, it's just such a different culture to what I personally am used to here in Glasgow, if I had to see a cat like that wondering around outside my house I would immediately be aware and start looking out for it.

I don't know much about rescues etc abroad but surely they should be working at doing something about it? Although saying that, some pars of Cyprus were really un-developed.

xx

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 14:17:18 PM »
Because tourists then spend loads of money buying food for the stray cats?  When I was 11 I went on holiday to Greece and was horrified by the amount of cats on the street there. I spent most of my holiday cuddling them and feeding them as they were awfully skinny  :(  A lot of the tavernas train scruffy dogs to get tourists to follow them to the tavernas as well. Breaks my heart how most animals are treated over there  :'(
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 13:59:20 PM »
why would they do that angie ? surely seeing scraggy ferals whilst on hols is upsetting and something we'd rather not see or deal with.  I have heard that ferals get kulled though.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 13:15:44 PM »
Is tunisia one of the countries that cull the ferals each winter and encourage them for tourists in the summer?

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 12:45:04 PM »

The other night i said to Hubby that i am taking Frontline, Drontal and cat food out with me this year - He wet himself laughing

:rofl: :rofl: Tell him it's either that or you'll take them home in your suitcase  :rofl:

It's horrible though, there's really no need for it

xxx

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 12:34:01 PM »
I know excatly where you are coming from!
Whenever you go abroad there are always soooooooo many of them

We are going back to Tunisia in june and when we were there 2yrs ago i got in trouble with the hotel staff for feeding all the cats!
I would get a plastic cup and a bottle of water and give them all a drink, then i would order a Tuna pizza and pick off the tune and feed them   :rofl:
There was a pregnant Mummy that i feed all week and when we left another couple said they would carry on feeding her.

The other night i said to Hubby that i am taking Frontline, Drontal and cat food out with me this year - He wet himself laughing

• Super Cat
Ferel Cats
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 12:04:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

Well, I was in Cyprus last week.. It was lovely (what I saw of it anyways)

But the thing that shocked me the most - The amount of Ferel Cats! I am not joking, I have never seen so many.

I live in Glasgow and the area where I live I have never seen any cats outside never mind ferels, so I was so shocked when I was sitting down by the pool and up comes a gorgeous longhaired tom looking for some attention. He was so friendly, but defo a ferel, had a chunk out of his ear, his hair was all tangled, could see a waxy build up in his ears and covered in fleas :( The poor boy.

So after that, I walked up to my apartment and heard a miaw  :rofl: opened the door back up and 2 different cats were sitting there. I gave them some nice ham from the fridge (all I had) and some fresh water. They were just so friendly :( They would lie underneath my sun loungerfor shade because it was so sunny.

You would be sitting in a restaurant and cats and tiny kittens would be walking in and out :(

I wish I could have helped them all, my friend just sat and laughed at me  :P

Sarah x

Link to CatChat