Author Topic: Reminder about open windows and doors now the warmer weather is here  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I wish I knew how to "guest proof" my front door. Willow is getting quite brave and inquisitive and my front door opens onto the high street!. The other options are a) shut her n the kitchen 24/4 - not fair or b) keep her downstairs where kylie is and she would be stressed, miserable and scared all the time. I don't know what to do for the best. Putting a porch on the house isn't an option as we are in a conservation area.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
And remember that indoor/outdoor cats can also fall from upstairs windows so be careful about opening those when cats are around.

We have always suffered this problem - but only when we re-homed out 2nd cat - during the hottest July - and having to have the patio door shut was a nightmare!

Anyway, we have had to put 'barriers' up the windows to stop the cats getting out - the more nicer looking one are the venition blinds in the bedroom (as they cant work out how to get behind them, plus the pvc windows we have there is a latch at the bottom which we hook the blinds into).

The other upstairs windows (study & bathroom) havent got v.blinds up as we coudlnt afford them - so we bought some expanding trellis from Homebase and put some of the sticky clips on the window frame, expanded the trellis, clipped it in place and that is our 'budget' solution to not having cats escape.

We full well know that our cats can get out as we wondered one day why one of our cats (the more inquizative one) was outside, when neither of us had let him out. He'd only gone out of the study window (this was prior to the trellis), jumped onto the porch and then onto the pavement below!

We do rent our house and the chap who did the inspections did ask us 'so is this to keep them in or out then' jokingly!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
A timely warning  :thanks:

And remember that indoor/outdoor cats can also fall from upstairs windows so be careful about opening those when cats are around.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
Reminder about open windows and doors now the warmer weather is here
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 20:56:06 PM »
I Just wanted to say how important it is now the warmer weather is here to be careful of open windows and doors if u have house/indoor cats
remember cats can and will escape from a an open window
two indoor cats have recently gone missing from the portsmouth/lee on solent area that i know of in the last 2 weeks
its terrible to have a cat that goes missing but imagine how awful it is to have an indoor cat go missing when they have never been outside
and have no road sence etc
my thoughts are with the two famileys who have had there indoor cats escape
while having there window open during this lovely weather  :(
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 20:56:43 PM by forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa) »
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Link to CatChat