Author Topic: Should i take the boys outside?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Should i take the boys outside?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 19:09:31 PM »
i can personally say those cat stations are very good..i have the catapault one.

also for me i couldnt cat proof my garden so a run was our only option.  If the cats are happy being indoors then great but if they can be given secured out door access this is also fab as it expands their activity and gives them fresh air.

we bought a wooden shed from b and q and made our own run attached to it. well ok a slight fib, we had a run with a shed in it..thats now taken down and the new one isnt finished being made yet LOL but thats what we're doing, the ready made ones look fab though and i would have bought one but hubby wasnt keen on spending 300 quid when he could make one for 150 ish .

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 19:03:01 PM »
. The catrun looks great lynn, think i'll be looking into maybe getting one of those. I also like the idea of catproofing the garden and having supervised outdoor time with them. I wonder how you would go about making sure they couldnt get over fences or walls

An overhang fixed to the top of fence panels at an inward angle prevents the cats from getting over the fence or wall.

Have a look at this thread about cat runs/safe fencing. http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=3596.0

Tan also has some great pictures of her catproof fencing system, if she sees this perhaps she'll put them on - I can't find the previous thread about it.

Offline jorhod

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 18:14:53 PM »
Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm so sorry to hear about Binky Angie, must have been really hard for you, especially being so young too. The catrun looks great lynn, think i'll be looking into maybe getting one of those. I also like the idea of catproofing the garden and having supervised outdoor time with them. I wonder how you would go about making sure they couldnt get over fences or walls
The thread about having your windows open was really interesting because i had never thought about it before. We can have the little windows at the top open (not too wide though) and the boys havent tried to push it open or become too nosey about it. Although it's better to be safe than sorry, and they are getting pretty big and strong now, so i think i will get some of those safety looks soon.

I must work out how to put pictures on here so i can show everyone the little rascles.  :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 16:06:23 PM »
If you wonder about having windows open then see this post: http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=3389.0

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 16:04:19 PM »
having just lost poor Binky due to RTA on a quiet road at about 1 year old I'd say don't encourage them to go out if they are happy in.
If you were n't moving it may have been possible to cat proof your garden to allow them the garden but not let them out.
Young cats sadly have no sense of danger.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 15:50:55 PM »
I think they are happy being indoors
Thats good, if they are not being trouble then why put the cat among the pigeons  :rofl:
A small fish tank would give them somthing interesting to watch  :evillaugh:

I'll definately look into getting them microchipped too. Didn't think about it before because they are house cats, but never thought about if they were to escape!
I think house cats are even more important to chip, because if they ever escape they dont know their area at all  :(
Its a small chip put in the scruff of the neck, none of mine really minded it being done, it was over very quick. Its costs about £20 but often the vets will have offers on. Some groomers also chip so can visit at home, sometimes cheaper than the vet!
If you do get them done before you move remember to update the company with your new address  :)

Lynn- i love those play stations!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 12:04:06 PM »
another option is a cat run in your garden..some of us are lucky enough to be able to fix it up so the cats can come and go as they please by way of catflap etc but some have free standing runs with a little housey and you could put the cats in their for x amount of hours if they enjoyed it...also you get wonderful playstations for outside areas which you could also put in a run.

http://www.catplay-stations.com/

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jorhod

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 10:11:06 AM »
Thanks for your reply Millys mum!
I think they are happy being indoors, they never try to run out the door when it's opened or squeeze through windows when they are slightly open. I think it's prolly the birds they see outside that gets them more excited than anything, they make this funny clicking noise with their mouths and swish their tails, very funny! We're only renting at the moment so it shouldnt be too long untill we have settled in a house with a safer surrounding.
I'll definately look into getting them microchipped too. Didn't think about it before because they are house cats, but never thought about if they were to escape!
Thanks again  :thanks:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 10:01:51 AM »
Welcome to Purrs Jo  :)   :welcome:

I wouldnt take them outside until you have moved, when they get a taste of the outdoors they often want more! And in your position its not safe to give that. Its a risk that you may end up with 2 cats trying to bolt through every window and door and who pine for more freedom. They sound like they are happy being indoor cats?

The other thing is to get them microchipped, if you havent already, just incase they ever escape.

Offline jorhod

• Kitten
Should i take the boys outside?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 09:43:29 AM »
Hey everyone!!
I'm kind of new to this site, although i used to use the lovely cat chat when it was running.
I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinions on a dilemma i have about my kittens:
Well, they are 8 months old now, and because of living next to a main and dangerous road, we have decided to keep them as house cats untill we have moved to a safer area for them to go outside. When we travel to mine or my boyfriends parents house, Louie and Barney love looking out the windows into the nice big gardens and seeing all the greenery and wildlife out there. I've been thinking about getting cat harnesses, and taking them out into the garden so they can see what the outside is like. I think they would love it, however part of me wonders if this is cruel because they will not be fully allowed to go outside on their own for a while.

Any opinions or advice on taking your cat into the garden on a cat harness would be massively appreciated!
Many thanks, Jo
P.S i'm hoping to come on here a lot more when my dissertation is finished, cat forums can get quite addicitve!

Link to CatChat