Author Topic: Is this the right kitten?  (Read 3632 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Is this the right kitten?
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 07:34:24 AM »
Cor - Fred's a Stunner!  Smashing photo.  Yeah - Paddy likes to be No 1 too, and he's a ginger n white.  He used to beat up the cat next door in his own garden (soft paws only though - at least poor Jim never had any scratches or bites, thank God!)     :-[

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2007, 23:37:59 PM »
You might have a long wait, Susie - Jaffa is calming down now and sleeping more (but still livelier than your average cat) but he's nearly 10 - so only 8 more years to go!  :rofl:

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2007, 23:19:31 PM »
I wish Fred was a bed head - that would mean he slept more.  As it is he likes to terrorise the household, feline and human, most of the day and night.  I'm hoping he will start being a lazy boy at some point though  :innocent:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 20:42:08 PM »
Coo Snap Susie  :) My Gizzy is a ginge monster too. Naughty but adorable eh!!

Is that Fred the bed head  :) ;D

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 19:32:23 PM »
Just to add to the ginger debate... my Fred was an 8 week old kitten when he arrived and my other cats were both about 11 months old - so you wouldn't have thought that much difference.  You would be wrong!

Fred is a bully and even as a tiny kitten would try and beat up (in a playful rather than malicious way though) every cat he met.  He is still as bad and he is now nearly 2.  He likes the other cats but just wants to playfight and they would rather sleep most of the time.  Imagine the difference between a kitten and a 10 year old!

Butter wouldn't melt eh....?

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 17:38:55 PM »
Susanne your two sound like a carbon copy of mine - that's exactly what they are like and it sounds like Mosi has been educating Hobbes without me knowing  :rofl:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 15:13:48 PM »
susanne it is well known fact (to some lol) that the solid colour cockers are notorious but the white n coloured ones tend to be much much better.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 15:07:50 PM »
yep i agree totally and discovered lots of years ago that the same red head temprements run in animals as they do in humans (a fair few red head in my family)

actually red cocker spaniels are well known to be the worst temprement of that breed.

I've known a few red cocker spaniels that gave the breed a bad name.  We had a black and white cocker spaniel when I was a child and he was adorable. 

Ann - Dylan sounds a bit like Jaffa.  Jaffa is a very gentle cat but he'll defend himself if need be. He's a bit of a contradiction is Jaffa as he's timid in many ways and a very gentle boy but he's also a dominant cat and won't let Mosi get the better of him.  He's a lover not a fighter though and if Mosi didn't bother him he wouldn't bother Mosi!  Mosi, however, is a very cheeky little boy who thinks it's great fun to wait til Jaffa's preoccupied and looking the other way before he pounces on him from behind. 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 14:50:03 PM »
yep i agree totally and discovered lots of years ago that the same red head temprements run in animals as they do in humans (a fair few red head in my family)

actually red cocker spaniels are well known to be the worst temprement of that breed.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 14:24:21 PM »
I agree Susanne it's def the red hair  :rofl: I'm lucky with Hobbes in that he is quite a gentle little boy but he does have his moments when he decides he's going to leap on poor Dylan from a great height and he does try to be top cat sometimes now he's 6 months old. As you say the relationship is evolving all the time even though my two get on great and fortunately although Dylan is a big laid back softy he's big enough to get his own back and has had Hobbes pinned down on more than one occasion  :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 14:11:52 PM »
I got my laperm (rex breed) last year and he is now just over the year old and VERY dominant to the point where he's not terribly nice to my older moggies..i cant make up my mind if this is really rough and tumble play or asserting himself over them..perhaps a bit of both ??

It's that red hair, Lynn!  Both of mine are feisty red heads and both are dominant cats.  With Mosi I think a lot of it is play but he's definitely testing the boundaries.  He's learned to try and get a height advantage before he pounces on Jaffa as that way Jaffa can't pin him to the ground easily  ;D  Quite funny to watch.  He's so confident, bless him and it doesn't matter how many times Jaffa wins or hisses at him he just comes back for more.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 12:00:55 PM »
WHat about contacting persian rescues ??  perhap they would have a slightly older settled puss that would fit in well.

I got my laperm (rex breed) last year and he is now just over the year old and VERY dominant to the point where he's not terribly nice to my older moggies..i cant make up my mind if this is really rough and tumble play or asserting himself over them..perhaps a bit of both ??

Its not so bad as he doesnt live in the same parts of house as the older boys but i dont think it would be harmonious if he did.

Good luck with your hunt though.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 09:18:11 AM »
I tend to agree with everyone else that a kitten with a 10 year old gentle half persian who's prone to being bullied may be a recipe for disaster.  An older cat with a calm temperament would probably be best.  I introduced a new kitten to a 9 year old but my 9 year old is a lively, playful, dominant cat who's quite large (so he will probably always be bigger than Mosi).  Even then it's been difficult at times as although they get on Mosi does want to play rather more than Jaffa. 

the thing with kittens is that initially they are shy and unchallenging but as they get bigger they tend to want the dominant position as top dog, sorry cat  :evillaugh:

I tend to agree.  Although in theory a kitten is supposed to be less threatening they do grow up and the relationship between the newbie and the resident cat can constantly evolve.  Jaffa accepted Mosi almost straight away when he was a small kitten but if I thought that was that I was very mistaken!  The relationship between them is constantly evolving as Mosi has grown up and is no longer the non threatening kitten I first introduced.  They are both testing each other and working out their relationship.   When I got Mosi I must admit I had the rather naiive view that once I'd introduced them and they had accepted each other that would be that except for maybe a time when Mosi reached sexual maturity (even though I planned to have him neutered asap and he was done at 5  months) and might challenge Jaffa a bit.  Mosi is 16 months now and they're still sorting out the pecking order.  They are both dominant cats though and there's not much difference in size now, although Jaffa is heavier.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 18:34:02 PM »
If you scroll down this link you'll find a list of the persian rescues: http://www.catchat.org/adoption/pedigree.html

I think she will ultimately be ok as she has a lovely temperament
Remember this is with humans, i do know some cats who are the sweetest thing with people but they catch sight of another cat and loose it. Desleys suggestion of fostering is good as you would get to see her reaction without commiting yourself to keeping a cat.

Gillian, the thing with kittens is that initially they are shy and unchallenging but as they get bigger they tend to want the dominant position as top dog, sorry cat  :evillaugh:

Offline tigertail

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 18:23:19 PM »
I have a feeling you are all right about this and that a similar breed is better - although he was lovely!!  I think she will ultimately be ok as she has a lovely temperament and I would be happy to have an older kitten either 6 months to a year and would consider an oldie.  I will let you know and this kitten is for her first and me second.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 17:17:06 PM »
Hi Tiger,

I've got 9 persians and I definitely wouldnt inflict a Bengal/Siamese cross kitten on them LOL! Lovely though both Bengals and Siamese are! I have 3 moggies as well, and I find that the Persians have more of an affinity with each other, than with the moggies, although in general they muddle along together, and one of my persians absolutely loves one of my moggies, although the feeling isnt always mutual!

I'd stick with your original idea of a similar breed and do the introductions very carefully and gradually to avoid upsetting your persian, i.e. separate room for the newcomer, let them get used to each others smellls for a few weeks before any face to face meetings, supervise all initial meetings, feliway plug ins etc. Don't know about age, all of the ones I've introduced over the past 6 yrs or so have been oldies, but I wonder if a kitten MIGHT be a better option in your case, as perhaps your persian won't see the kitten as so much of a challenge as she would an older cat.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 13:57:47 PM »
Like the others, I wonder whether your cat, who has been sole queen of the castle, would like another cat coming into your life. She could become extremely jealous.
I'm not expert concerning breed types, but I believe that bengals and siamese are VERY demanding, certainly not to be mixed with a laid back cat.

Oldies are lovely, I have two. I recommend them highly.

Is it that YOU really want a cute little kitten? If so, don't get one unless you want to seriously upset your cat. Wait until the awful day that she crosses the bridge, and enjoy her company till then.

:welcome:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 09:54:37 AM »
I just want to say Tiger, that the reason everyone suggests something older than a kitten is that we have all experienced either adding new cats into our multicat homes or do work for rescues in the homing area.
If you visit your local rescue and explain your current situation they will suggest what they think is the most compatible type, even if you chose to get a cat from elsewhere, you'll at least know what to look for  :)

Btw, we would love to see a pic of your persian  :Luv:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 07:52:36 AM »
Welcome to Purrs, I dont advocate getting kittens with older cats, I foster and have oldies, and none of mine have tolerated anything under the age of 1, especially if it is a single kitten, as they need someone to play with, and certainly nothing with Bengal in it. We had some Bengal/Siamese kittens in over x-mas, we had an update the other week, and they are still very hyper.  As the others have asked, who is the cat for? The other route you could go down is fostering, that way you can see how they get on, and if it turns out your current cat is unhappy, then they can be found a good home. Good luck.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 03:52:53 AM »
i agree with the others and the question really is who do you want the new cat for, is it for your current cat or for you?

i have 2 birmans and they are fairly laid back but my orignianal two cats do not like them much at all.

i think that it is likely a kitten will be far to hyper but getting the right mix and match when a cat has had  its slaves and house to itself for so long, will be very hard.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 21:21:16 PM »
Hiya and  :welcome:to the board
why dont u consider adopting an older cat who is around about the same age as ur little one
there are so many older pudy cats waiting for there forever homes  :Luv:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 20:37:39 PM »
Hiya warm  :welcome: to Purrs

Your babe sounds lovely, whats her name  :) Love to see a pic  :) :)

Persions do tend to have a quieter nature so as Lynn says quite the oposite of Bengalies. Two of my Bridge babes are Burmese lads which are simular in nature to Siamese and they are very demanding, vocal and want attention but are soo wonderful as well.

Has she been on her own for the 10 years? Do ya feel she is happy on her own? Do ya feel she would like another feline in the house or does she love all  your attention?

I would be a liittle worried matching those two breeds only because i had a very worrying time introducing my current two together and my older boy was very scared and was very depressed when we apdopted new little kiitten.  They are both moggies but it was awful seeing my older lad Rio upset. We had to take time in introducing them both over 6 weeks and not let them see each other until they were comfrotable with each other smells. They are great together now. I just wanted to say it's quiet important to pick the right personality and size so your current babe hopefully wont get too upset with any newbie esp as she is prone to being bullied.

I think your a star wanting to ask about this 1st. It shows you absolutley love your little one  :Luv:  Ask away at anything and we will be glad to help if we can.
xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 20:24:35 PM »
I wouldnt match a kitten to a 10 year, as lynn says an older cat whose character is known would be a better choice. Much easier to find a compatible match then.
The last thing you want is to upset your persian, they are notorious for toileting problems when stressed!

Edit to say, if shes prone to being bullied you definately need a calm cat who wont bother her  ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 20:28:30 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 20:10:59 PM »
hiya and  :welcome:

Personally a cat that is 1/4 bengal and 1/4 siamese is likely to be an active and demanding cat and quite "in your face" which i am not sure from your description your puss would appreciate that.

Hows about thinking of an older cat thats temprement is known whereas kittens are all boistrous and their long term characters wont be known for a while.

Offline tigertail

• Adult Cat
Is this the right kitten?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 19:56:20 PM »
Hi everyone - I am new.  I am currently looking for a pal for my half Persian who is very sweet and gentle.  She is 10 years old and has an amazing gentle nature and follows me like a dog everywhere.  She is prone to being bullied.  I really want to find her a new kitten, hopfully, to have some feline companionship.  I originally thought I should get a another half Persian or Birman type as they all see to be really laid back.  However, I have seen a bengal cross.  He is only 4 weeks old so I would  have to wait.  His mother is half bengal and half siamese and the father is unknown. The mother is very sociable with humans but doesn't bother with other cats. Do you think this kitten is an ok combination or was my first idea better?  I am happy to wait for the right kitten if need be. When I was playing wiith him he let me tickle his tummy and rub his little chin and was content and seemed to have a nice personality.  Sorry for the ramble but I would really like to get this right. Your ideas would be appreciated.

Link to CatChat