Author Topic: Cat runs - does anyone have any pics?  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
Re: Cat runs - does anyone have any pics?
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 16:01:22 PM »
What I want to do is - try and make a sieve, so I can just pull it up get rid of the bits and put it back in the sand. It's all good stuff in theory, but practise is something else  :).

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 15:46:17 PM »
From you article in Cat World I am going to make a cat loo. OK at the moment they use my Daffodil planter, but a new loo will be good.

it is safe to fill with childrens play sand? if so all I need to know is where to buy the stuff, does B& Q sell it?  - this is my project for the weekend, building a cat loo.  They have their inside litter trays too but while its nice they like to poop alfresco. *hands in prayer mode - whispers thank you*.

Yep, B&Q, Focus, etc all do sand. I use ordinary sharp sand, but I'm sure play sand will do the same job (as it were  :evillaugh: ) I also use horticultural grit in a couple of the outdoor facilities, finer than gravel or pea shingle, but more gritty than sand and maybe more free draining.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 15:38:41 PM »
Tesco sells kiddy sand, its not particulary great at absorbing tho  :-: i would assume it to be safe to use  :shify:
We use peat at work for the feral cats that wont use a tray, if it were me id use peat free compost, more eco friendly  :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 15:07:20 PM »
From you article in Cat World I am going to make a cat loo. OK at the moment they use my Daffodil planter, but a new loo will be good.

it is safe to fill with childrens play sand? if so all I need to know is where to buy the stuff, does B& Q sell it?  - this is my project for the weekend, building a cat loo.  They have their inside litter trays too but while its nice they like to poop alfresco. *hands in prayer mode - whispers thank you*.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 14:08:08 PM »
haha! I will have to try and take some. My run is a decent size, it covers most of the back of the house, and the french doors open into it

It is pretty bare though compared to the lovely plant arrangements in yours Gillian!

I did have a look on the FAB site last night about poisonous plants, but there was a big complicatedlist of ones not to have, and I'm far too simple to understand it  :evillaugh: Which plants did you have in yours Gillian?
x

Hiya, your run sounds similar to mine at the other house, french doors opening out to it.

I know what you mean about the FAB plant list - if you read that, you wouldnt put any plants in yer garden would you?!! To be honest I have a lot of plants on that list that are considered hazardous, for instance, clematis, hydrangea etc, plants that are common in many gardens, and I've had those plants in various gardens I've owned over the years, and never had a cat that decided to eat one of them! I even, at one time used to have lilies in pots, before I knew how dangerous they were!  :oh noo: I think perhaps the worry is that a cat in a confined space like a run, may be more inclined to have a nibble at something, than a cat that has free range.

Also, if you notice, FAB put a note at the bottom that reads 'The fact that the list contains some very common plants should not be cause for concern. Most of these potentially harmful plants taste bad and are unlikely to be eaten in sufficient quantities to cause permanent damage. Woody garden plants are also unlikely to be eaten by your cat - tender household plants pose most risk'

In the pots in the run I had things like hydrangea, hosta, bamboos, conifers, fatsia and grasses.

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 21:26:58 PM »
haha! I will have to try and take some. My run is a decent size, it covers most of the back of the house, and the french doors open into it and the back room windows so it's nice to be able to have fresh air in the house while the cats are still safe. Their cat flap out through the wall goes into a big home made thing that looks like a dog kennel but houses the litter trays, so the cats can use the loo without having to get wet. This is the only place I can describe this arrangement where no one will think I'm mad! I love Purrs.....

It is pretty bare though compared to the lovely plant arrangements in yours Gillian! They have a bench to sit on and they love the top of the kennel, and they have a scratch post too. Also my strawberries are in therein a hanging basket so the cats can guard them from the birds!

I did have a look on the FAB site last night about poisonous plants, but there was a big complicatedlist of ones not to have, and I'm far too simple to understand it  :evillaugh: Which plants did you have in yours Gillian?

x

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 13:48:44 PM »
Thank you all so much! :Luv:

Gillian the pics of the run are fab - I have the May Cat World  and did not realise that it was your garden - I was showing my OH how gorgeous your cats were!!

Schmew would love to see your pics   ;D

Can't wait to start measuring now!

Sarah

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 10:48:48 AM »
I was going to send you some pics of mine but it looks so poor next to Ambercats!

Come on Schmew, show us yer pics!!  ;D

[Oops lol
Your current run is lovely, the planting really makes it

Wish my safe fenced off area looked as nice as the old cat run, but I've run out of money for lots of plants in pots - its the vets bills you know!!  >:(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 09:36:03 AM »
The pics of mine in April Cat World, were the cat run I had around 10 yrs ago

Oops lol
Your current run is lovely, the planting really makes it

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 21:28:17 PM »
I was going to send you some pics of mine but it looks so poor next to Ambercats!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 19:26:03 PM »
OMG was you in cat world???? - blimey I have just read that and thought that is ace.

Yep, that were me! Stlll waiting to be paid for both articles hmmmm!!  >:(

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 18:54:11 PM »
OMG was you in cat world???? - blimey I have just read that and thought that is ace.

RosieCat I have mine cat prooded with fencing by Securacat.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 18:30:13 PM »
The pics of mine in April Cat World, were the cat run I had around 10 yrs ago at my other house!!, mine now have safe fenced area for when I'm not around and at night, the rest of the time they come in the garden with me, which is lovely!!

Heres some pics of the cat run, and some of the safe fenced area I have now (which I've written about in May Cat World too)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 16:43:02 PM »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 15:03:56 PM »
There have been photos posted of runs that people have, i had a quick search and couldnt find any but hopefully someone else will be able to.

I know Gillian has one, i saw it in a cat mag the other month, very nice it is! She has a water feature which i thought was nice.

The other option to a run is to cat proof the whole garden with a net system that attaches to the top of a pre-existing fence and goes up and out at an angle so the cats cant jump over it.
Hope my "technical" explanation was clear enough lol

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
Cat runs - does anyone have any pics?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 13:32:50 PM »
It probably won't happen until later this year but I am hoping to have a cat run built along the back of my house.  I have patio doors off the kitchen - shortly to be replaced with French doors so I can open the room up completely -  and I am intending to have some of the patio enclosed with different levels/cat trees etc, with access to it from the kitchen.    Although my cats are quite happy inside, I would like them to be able to sit outside in the sunshine with the wind in their fluff!!!

Does anyone have anything similar?   I am involved in rabbit rescue so have a summer house, wendy house runs etc already in the garden so am planning to make it attractive as I can rather than vast expanses of mesh!!

:thanks:

Link to CatChat