Author Topic: Oh nooooo  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: Oh nooooo
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 00:17:29 AM »
We are lucky the ferals we have neutered/spayed are kept on the farm and for the first few days are kept in indoor pens that are bigger than normal and then they are released into a barn so they seem happy and content. The males of course are realeased out onto the farm sooner unless they had retained testicles of course.

Do you think you could move a bit closer to me  :evillaugh:  The set up sounds perfect  :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 16:01:04 PM »
We are lucky the ferals we have neutered/spayed are kept on the farm and for the first few days are kept in indoor pens that are bigger than normal and then they are released into a barn so they seem happy and content. The males of course are realeased out onto the farm sooner unless they had retained testicles of course.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 15:50:53 PM »
I do domesticate and rehome the kittens......the only one's that go back are the older cats that can't be tamed and rehomed.  I rehomed 2 little feral kittens yesterday from the same scrapyard and they've gone to a fab home.  Hopefully the new "slaves" will update on Purrs as they recently became members.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 15:37:26 PM »
Is there no way that you can domesticate and rehome the kittens? Years ago, my mother rescued a few kittens from a feral colony in the grounds of a hospital where she was working: a cull was being carried out. I had one kitten (I was 9) and the others went to my mother's friends. They all became domestic cats.

I've had adult cats (Polly and Bella) who were feral, but whom I tamed. But I had the time and was able to give them individual care.

Such an awful decision you had to make. But I think you made the right one.

I hope all goes well.  :hug:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007, 14:36:43 PM »
Our local branch always releases the following day and my friend works for them  :censored:  I have over the last couple of years been trying to "educate" her on the against of releasing early. I always release the toms the day after, they sometimes release them that night  :censored:  With the females, if they don't appear stressed I will keep for 10 days but generally where they are, they are monitored anyway so the vet said if need be, a week would suffice.  You've obviously got to take the cats mental health into account as well and sometimes with a feral, they do not take kindly to being caged and for their own sake, it's sometimes better to release after a few days rather than the 10.  I have only ever released one early as in about 5 days after, she just wouldn't eat whilst she was here and was petrified.  She was a feral that did actually live in someone's garden and was being fed every day so a close eye was kept on her and she was fine.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 07:40:12 AM »
I know of one case where my friend had a late abortion done on a feral, she was released the following day which is the way some CP branches do it, her insides fell out and she had to be trapped and euthanised as she got septacaemia........

That is a disgrace, thankfully I know of no branches like that and if I did I am afraid I would be on to CP HQ (not mentioning any names) but asking them to send out a memo to all Branches. We as I am sure do many rescues keep them in for at least 10 days. so we can keep an eye on them.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 22:41:11 PM »
I just wish he's have get his mouth shut  :evillaugh:  Everytime he does a female for me now, he will say she wasn't pregnant and I'll be wondering if he's lying to me and then I'll probably do his head in until he tells me  :censored:  And yet if he hadn't said anything, I would probably have believed him and I wouldn't have been left wondering  :Crazy: 

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 22:37:34 PM »
At least the second one has less chance of problems then.
in response to your first post though - if you can't tell they are pregnant, and he doesnt tell you, you dont have to live with that knowledge though, as not every female you trap will be pregnant, so he could spay one and say nothing cos there was nothing to say.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 22:32:37 PM »
It's odd that they are both heavily pregnant and yet you coudln't tell until opening her up.

Only one was opened up......after the first one, they sedated the second one and checked her properly before doing a cut.  And to be honest, I've seen these cats a few times and if I'd have thought for one second they were pregnant I wouldn't have taken them to the vets.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 22:27:14 PM »
He is a good vet and I do trust his judgement, but I have to live with the knowledge afterwards, early on spays I can handle, fully formed kittens I just can't and the other side is, the mother is more at risk from a late abortion.  I know of one case where my friend had a late abortion done on a feral, she was released the following day which is the way some CP branches do it, her insides fell out and she had to be trapped and euthanised as she got septacaemia........mine aren't released for a good week but the risks are there.  I've had them before where there was no sign of pregnancy and overnight they have ballooned so it's pretty hard to judge unless you can physically examine the cat.  I know all the arguments about too many cats etc but it doesn't make it any easier.  I've had numerous discussions with the vets about the for and against of aborting but I still feel like a kitten killer even if it's done for the right reasons and I honestly don't think my views will change :'(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 21:57:52 PM »
Very tricky one - as much as I dont like abortion, i personally would do it because we already have so many cats needing homes, and if they had already been trapped, given an anaesthetic and opened up, I would sway towards it, cos of the possibility of them aborting - but yet they could be absolutely fine. I think Sean has a good way of looking at it though, as you will never know Dawn, so you can't feel guilty for doing it. It's odd that they are both heavily pregnant and yet you coudln't tell until opening her up.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 18:07:59 PM »
The problem with these lot, they are all youngsters and you honestly can't tell they were pregnant, even the vet didn't realise until he opened her up.......it's hard to decide as I have 2 conflicting views, well 3 if you include mine  :Crazy:  Sean as I've already said, would abort but the other vet comes up with all the negatives for aborting at a late stage.......I have never agreed with abortion, this is why I find it difficult to get my head round.  My concern obviously is the risks of still born through the anaesthetic and then I've put a cat through the pregnancy basically for nothing when she could be back home, enjoying her freedom and not stuck in a cage for weeks  :'(  :'(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 18:02:57 PM »
50/50 is higher than what i thought, its a tough call but if they are knocked out then i tend to agree with Gill.
Im lucky with the ferals i deal with, the lady knows them so well she can see a change in them and their behaviour. So far iv not had any decisions like that to make.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 18:01:04 PM »
Yeah I can see what he's saying, it's just I'm gonna know now that regardless of anything, he will do them and not tell me.........he did say he was a good liar and he'd be able to convince me  :Crazy:  I will just have to convince myself, it's for the best and try not to go on a guilt trip about it.  If I know they are pregnant beforehand, I will just try and sort out places for them and then hope for the best any others that go to the vets.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 17:52:22 PM »
So hard but sems that the risks to the kittens is so high, maybe Sean is right and unless its known before then best thing is to abort.  :(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 17:48:45 PM »
I've just picked them up now and had a good chat to Sean about it  :censored:  He said there is a 50/50 chance the kittens can be still born or that they could abort  :'(  :'(  He said if he'd have done the females this morning, he basically wouldn't have phoned, he would have just done them.  It's a difficult decision as to know what to do for the best, I would sway towards Sean's way of thinking if I'd have known how much the odds are for them surviving but I really don't know  :'(  I've got a few others to do and I know now if Sean does them, there's a possibility that he won't tell me if they are anyway......well I know he won't.  It would be so much easier if they could be checked before knocking them out but it just isn't possible with a feral unless you can visibly see they are pregnant.  Now I'm going to be on pins taking them in as the two females that were taken in this morning didn't even look pregnant  :'(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 17:38:09 PM »
Doesnt the GA damage the unborn kittens? Thats what i was told anyway   :-:

I hope you manage to get the others caught before they all explode lol

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 17:32:31 PM »
It dosnt rain but pours...................kittens  8)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 11:45:57 AM »
They won't be getting pregnant again, that's for sure.......I can't release them back to the yard either as it will mean catching them again before they drop which will be more stress.  I will have to sort a couple of cages out for them.  Luckily I've got another home check to do today, someone wants a couple of farm cats so before I go back to the vets, I'll be popping over to have a look.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 11:41:36 AM »
Oh dear!! I was just wondering where they would go, as would you be able to make sure they were spayed before getting pregnant again?
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 11:40:35 AM »
I think you did the right thing Dawn. It would have haunted you had you said otherwise. Glad it was you making the decision  :Crazy:- Maybe your special lady will take some more?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 11:39:18 AM »
I'm going to have to sort something out but just had another phone call and the tabby is pregnant as well but they've not opened her up but can feel them and they are quite big :censored:  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:  Luckily the third one is a male so he can be done.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 11:30:12 AM »
Fingers crossed for the rest of them then. Where will the pregnant one go?
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 11:28:14 AM »
They said they should be fine.......what a decision to have to make in a minute over the phone  :'(  I'm worried now as there are quite a few down on the yard, I'm just hoping most are males and any females won't be far gone if they are pregnant or better still not at all.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 11:24:44 AM »
Fingers crossed it hasn't affected them too much Dawn.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Oh nooooo
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 11:12:20 AM »
Took 3 ferals in this morning for neutering and the vet's have just phoned, one is 2 weeks off giving birth  :censored:  They asked me what I wanted to do and to be honest, I couldn't bring myself to say abort  :'(  They've popped her uterus back in and they said she should be fine.......they are used to people and being fed so they're not totally wild but I just hope I've made the right decision for her.

Link to CatChat