Author Topic: DIED OF OLD AGE  (Read 4937 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: DIED OF OLD AGE
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 11:28:46 AM »
Me too Rosella, I had never found any of the ones that covered over 8's before I joined. That is a good price, I initially paid more than that for PEbbles, but then they re-did their pricing policies and it came down dramatically.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 21:06:01 PM »
TBH Desley, it was only as a result of visiting Catchat and this site that I became aware that elderly cats could be insured and am very happily paying circa £10.50 per month for our 17 year old Tom which I believe to be extermley good value for his age. I think this is only a relatively recent thing.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 19:27:23 PM »
It is sad that people think that at 8/9, their cat is 'too old' to save, and sad that the vet would do it. I've just explained to a friend that her cat isn't too old to be insured at the age of 8, and that it isn't that expensive!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 18:56:45 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:     Are you saying my IQ is between 17 and 20  :cheeky:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 18:58:53 PM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 18:43:17 PM »
I wonder if some people confuse the life expectancy of cats with that of dogs. Generally, dogs rarely live beyond 10, depending on the breed, but as many here know, my cats are 17 and 20. The older one is slowing down slightly, but they still have a mad half hour every day!

Maybe these people confuse the life expectancy of cats with their IQ  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 18:40:27 PM »
I wonder if some people confuse the life expectancy of cats with that of dogs. Generally, dogs rarely live beyond 10, depending on the breed, but as many here know, my cats are 17 and 20. The older one is slowing down slightly, but they still have a mad half hour every day!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 18:12:42 PM »
But sad that anyone thinks a cat of that age is old and it does make you wonder whether they would have tried harder to save him if they'd had a different perspective on his age.

You are quite right, the point of  my post really was  that someone should think an 8-9 years old was old and therefore not fighting hard enough to save it. Although most of us would fight whatever age.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 16:44:06 PM »
Yes, you're probably right. So sad.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 16:32:15 PM »
"What is a vet doing that they will just PTS a cat because it's regarded as "too old"; ill yes, but too old? I don't understand this."

You do get some :censored: idiot people phoning you Ela so I'm sure the person you spoke to got the facts wrong. I would be pretty stunned if there were a vet out there putting a 9 year old cat to sleep for "old age". 

The most likely scenario is that the cat had an illness that couldn't be treated so was pts.  But sad that anyone thinks a cat of that age is old and it does make you wonder whether they would have tried harder to save him if they'd had a different perspective on his age.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 16:29:02 PM »
"What is a vet doing that they will just PTS a cat because it's regarded as "too old"; ill yes, but too old? I don't understand this."

The cat did have a problem however, because the owner thought 8 - 9 was old possibly thought there was no point in trying. Unfortunately there are vets that will PTS if an owner asks. My own vet won't (as indeed won't others in our Town)  and always rings us as they know if they send the person out of the door they may well go to the vet who would. (A vet that once told a previous Co-ordinator he would rather put an unneutered tom to sleep than castrate it)

Some people will ask to PTS a cat if there is any problem as they don't want to pay the vet bill. An 8 month old was taken to our vet because it was constipated and the owner asked the vet to PTS. I later found that kitten a lovely home with a family that deserved her.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 16:20:26 PM »

You do get some :censored: idiot people phoning you Ela so I'm sure the person you spoke to got the facts wrong. I would be pretty stunned if there were a vet out there putting a 9 year old cat to sleep for "old age". 

Our Tom was 17 at Christmas and, as long as he's had his metacam drop recently, he can zoom about the house mainly circa 5am of course.  However (I can type this as I'm at work and he won't know) he didn't hear me this am when I spoke to him as he was asleep, he's pretty deaf now. As I couldn't tell whether he was breathing, I prodded the poor lad (only gently mind) which woke him up with a start.  I can't help thinking of him as a youngster but I'm alot more on the lookout for signs of illness now. Eight year olds are of course young whipper snappers  ;D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 08:18:17 AM »
When someone says they want a kitten or a young cat I often relay the fact that kittens and young cats we homed within the last year or so are now sadly no longer with us, yet a 12 year I homed 9 years ago is still alive and well. This  does make people think sometimes and quite a few have gone on to adopt an older cat.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 21:34:04 PM »
That is sad, we were lucky that we managed to convince a couple last week that 8/9 isn't that old and they happily took the pair on, but we have an 8yo that has been with us since Oct, dont know why we can't find anyone to adopt her - and reading stories like this makes it worse!!
Please spay your cat

Offline jo

• Adult Cat
  • Toby and Tom xx
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 20:17:21 PM »
i think 8-9 is young for a cat, i heard some sad news today my friend lost her kittie yesterday but she was 20 last week and died ov a stroke. :'( :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 19:10:07 PM »
Sasa is 9 and the birman boys will be 14 in Aug and they are not old. Kocka went to the Bridge at 20 but was a kitten inside her sick body  >:(

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 17:17:07 PM »
OMG that's just awful, 8-9 is no way old, they should see my boy running around like a loon, he's 9 this year.

We live in a crazy mixed up world I think  :Crazy:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Bobjay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 16:26:49 PM »
What is a vet doing that they will just PTS a cat because it's regarded as "too old"; ill yes, but too old? I don't understand this.

Bob

fuzziesdad

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 15:31:21 PM »
our "kizzy"is in her eighteenth year and she ain't going to the bridge anytime in the near future,still feisty,climbing trees,slapping the youngsters around when they get to much,and us,she is getting a few grey/white hairs,won't be long before the doctor will be knocking at my door to send me to my maker I am way past middle age.It is all about quality of life ......but I do think at 8/9 years there should have been something drastic wrong? 

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 14:37:21 PM »
I know what you mean, Dylan will be 8 this year (well we think he's around that age anyway) and if anyone had seen him with the boys' new cat tree yesterday or saw him racing round with Hobbes every day they certainly wouldn't think of him as old  :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 14:08:15 PM »
Sometimes Jaffa has senior food, Christine, but I dont' let him see the packaging with the word "senior" on it so he's non the wiser ;)  Anyway, I tell him that some of his insides might be "senior" but he's definitely a youngster!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 14:00:52 PM »
Funnily enough, I bought my first bag of senior hairball formula food this morning as Blip will be nine in a couple of months' time.  However, she and I would be most offended at the sniff of a suggestion that she is anything other than in her later youth.  ;)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 13:42:16 PM »
with cats living in to there 20`s nowadays 8/9 is middle aged
my molly is 9 today and we dont class her as being an old cat  :Luv:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 13:41:09 PM »
Anyone who thinks 8 or 9 is old wants to come and watch Jaffa racing around of an evening like a kitten.  Obviously no-one's told him that he's old.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 13:35:40 PM »
was the cat ill ??????

I believe it did  have a problem, the point of my post realy  is for someone to say old age when a cat is only 8 - 9. It worries me to hear someone  say that as some people could think Oh! well the cat is old, no point in paying for treatment, it won't have long anyway.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 11:59:29 AM »
The animal welfare bill should have addressed these kind of things  >:(

I am sick of thick pikeys - they all need gassing!!!  >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 11:44:42 AM »
omg
was the cat ill ??????
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
DIED OF OLD AGE
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 11:40:41 AM »
Someone has just rung me for a kitten as their cat had to be PTS, RRRRRRRRRR says I what was the problem, the caller said it had to be put to sleep because of old age. RRRRRRRRRR says I how old was it, the caller replied 8 or 9.  If that is what is considered old age, what chance have we with our 'Golden Oldies'

Link to CatChat