Author Topic: What to use to get rid of cat wee smell  (Read 5581 times)

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
Re: What to use to get rid of cat wee smell
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 08:58:33 AM »
I cannot stand the smell of Simple Solution, I hate the lingering sickly odour it leaves.
I am a fan of ' old fashioned ' cleaning solutions generally so make up my own mix using white vinegar ( not malt ! )  and essential oils. The smell of the vinegar vanishes completely once it has dried.
My one cat who does have occasional accidents will still use spots treated with Simple Solution, no matter how much it has been cleaned ( same for biological washing powder solution ).
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 17:35:19 PM »
biological washing powder solution or a commercial enzymatic cleaner (such as simple solution) followed by a spritz of surgical spirit should do the job, but the danger is that if the wee has soaked through to the floorboards you need to be sure whatever you use does the same.  If you have carpet it might be best to roll that back and apply the solution to the floorboards as well as the carpet.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 13:33:34 PM »
I agree with the biological washing powder.

You could always bake bread/put on a pot of coffee etc when buyers come to view!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 12:57:01 PM »
I like Odour Eliminator that I get from my vet (prob get it elsewhere, online etc too), I find it neutralises the smell. Some people don't like the actual smell of the product, but I think its lovely, and loads better than cat wee!  ;D The washing powder followed by surgical spriit that others have mentioned is a good method too.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 12:34:37 PM »
Washing powder is good if its biological, smells nice too and then wipe the area with a spirit like Ela listed.

I use Simple Solution and find this works well.

ccmacey

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 12:31:25 PM »
My mum says to use a bit of washing powder mixed with water and this gets rid of the smell, it also deters the cat from weeing there again. Don't use bleach as the cat thinks another cat has weed there and will keep on doing it.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 11:54:48 AM »
You could try simple solution from PAH. Mogs used to miss the tray on regular occasions and I used to clean the floor with that and never noticed any smell.
love
Tab

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:02:44 AM »
Can any one tell me what is the best thing to get rid of the smell of cat wee.

Wipe with Whisky, Gin, Brandy, Rum and if that is just too painful Surgical Spirit.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 10:52:44 AM »
cat wee doesnt usually smell that bad unless u have an unneutered tom then it will be vile :sick:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline shinney

• Adult Cat
What to use to get rid of cat wee smell
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
I am in the process of putting the house up for sale, and one of my cats has decided to use under my bed as a toilet. I have 4 litter trays around the house, but this is the in place at the moment.

Can any one tell me what is the best thing to get rid of the smell of cat wee. As i know some things can make the smell worse.

many thanks

Link to CatChat