Author Topic: cat harness - advice needed  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: cat harness - advice needed
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 12:24:32 PM »
Jess is up to date with everything too, especally fleas in case I bring any home from work!

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 11:59:37 AM »
Yes of course, sorry, i wasn't clear at all! I meant that I'm used to worming her often, so it won't be a problem in the furture.

Déborah

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 11:06:48 AM »
You do need to keep up with the worming now she is an adult though, how often is debatable at the mo!! Some say every 3 months for indoor only, some every 6.
Please spay your cat

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 11:04:41 AM »
Thanks Desley! Yes, she's fully vaccined, and i did think about the deworming-defleaing thing. The vet said that she had to be dewormed every month unti she's 6 months old (she's 7 months now), so she'll be ok.

I've ordered a kitten harness, see how that works...

Déborah xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 09:38:21 AM »
If you start taking them out on a harness and leash, do remember that they will then need worming and de-fleaing more than an indoor only cat, and if you haven't had them vacc'd, then they will need that too. I have only had one cat who tolerated it, she was put on it, cos her new mum took her other three cats out on one, and fortunatley she loved it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 15:31:35 PM »
We brought Jess a harness but to be honest he won't let us get near him with it to try it out. His never been out of shown that he wants to he'll happily sit for hours watching out the window, I've stood at the back door with him in my arms and he glups the fresh air but he is very nervous about is and I'm not even sure he wants to go out.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 15:08:42 PM »
Anyway, it might all come to nothing, she might hate it. She's a willfull little b*tch too!  ;D

:) I know what you're going through. Lexy has a mind of her own and makes sure I know it.... often!

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 15:00:22 PM »
I highly recommend these harnesses: http://www.norgeskaukatt.co.uk/Harness.html.  Excellent quality and designed so they are both safe and comfortable for the cat.

Ok, thanks for that!  :thanks: I think those will be too big for her right now, but I'll definitely keep them in mind when she grows a bit.

Maybe if you get a detachable one and just let her wear the harness around the house for a few days she might start to get used to it.

Yes I did plan to do that  :)

Anyway, it might all come to nothing, she might hate it. She's a willfull little b*tch too!  ;D

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 14:40:42 PM »
I highly recommend these harnesses: http://www.norgeskaukatt.co.uk/Harness.html.  Excellent quality and designed so they are both safe and comfortable for the cat.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 14:02:58 PM »
if they never experience the outdoors and are kept as indoor pets they dont know what they are missing!

I agree witn your thoughts.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

ccmacey

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 12:59:24 PM »
I bought a harness and lead for Stu, my rabbit, and had him out in the garden for the first time, he was hopping all over and didn't seem to mind, but he's a rabbit, and he did manage to get his front legs through the neck bit.

Maybe if you get a detachable one and just let her wear the harness around the house for a few days she might start to get used to it. If she wears a collar with no problems this might be the way of getting her used to wearing a harness, my cats don't wear collar's so no chance they would wear anything really.

Don't feel sad about her looking out of the windows she is just being curious. If you do manage to get her to wear the harness outside watch out for roaming dogs.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 12:38:27 PM »
Thanks Milly and Forever,

yes, I do understand that, about her not knowing what she's missing, but she's alwys at the window, and I feel bad about depriving her of that experience. I guess that's my main problem, I'm very indecisive about this, so I see the harness as a compromise!  :shify:

Yes, she's microchipped.

Déborah

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 12:35:54 PM »
 if they never experience the outdoors and are kept as indoor pets they dont know what they are missing!

Yes thats true
out of all my cats
its only max (who was going out for about 2mths b4 i found him ) who trys to escape when u open the door ,the others r warey of trying to head for the door as theyve never exprienced the outdoors at all
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 12:32:58 PM »
If she cant go on to have free access then i think i would worry about creating a cat that  needs  to go out, if they never experience the outdoors and are kept as indoor pets they dont know what they are missing!

The other thing id recommend is getting her microchipped, if you havn't already done that!

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 11:59:33 AM »
Thanks for that Lynn. I saw a kitten harness somewhere, I'll try to get that. I know I'll have to be very patient, lol, poor me!

Déborah

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 11:27:09 AM »
deborah i used to take fraser out on a harness.  I'd advise spent time getting a really good harness not just the cheapest ones, and put it on her loads in the house so she is used to it, when you start taking her out just go to the open door etc first so she doesnt suddently get frightened by being plonked on the grass.

She'll need a small harness and they should be fastened very tightly, make extra holes if need be..someone said they had used a rabbit harness for their cat as they are smaller.

also i'd advise a collar  & tag for those times she is out on harness aswell incase she escapes.

Ive thought about if for cody but not sure, dont know if i want him to get brave with the outdoors, he goes to an open door but hasnt stepped foot outside it yet so i'm hoping he stays like that, mind you he did get into the old run a couple of times and will get outside in the new run.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 11:11:36 AM »
so I didn't remember that bit was in it.

Its always been there, however, there is so much on that one remember everything one reads, well I cannot anyway. ;D

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 11:06:01 AM »
I had read your topic before, but I didn't remember the bit about harnesses.

I wonder if  it was  the  Collar dangers that you read before.

No no, it was that one. I've thinking about the indoor/outdoor thing for a long time, but I hadn't considered a harness before, so I didn't remember that bit was in it.

Déborah

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 11:01:01 AM »
I had read your topic before, but I didn't remember the bit about harnesses.

I wonder if  it was  the  Collar dangers that you read before.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 10:58:49 AM »
I don't personally walk my cats with a harness but I know of lots of people who do and find it works well.  I think you have to make sure you get the right kind of harness so that they can't slip out of it - I think it's the H style harness that is considered the best?  Don't take my word on that!  You can also get harness jackets which I think are very secure.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 10:57:56 AM »
Ive also thought about using a cat harness in the past but never have i dont think they are 100 percent safe .
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 10:53:32 AM »
Ela, I had read your topic before, but I didn't remember the bit about harnesses. So thanks for that.  Mmmm. That's a tough one.  Of course I wouldn't leave her unattended though, that wasn't the point at all.

Déborah

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 10:47:22 AM »
So I thought maybe I could take her out on a harness and leash. I used to find them very silly and ridiculous but now I'm not sure.

I personally do not like the idea, although I know many people do. What I would say is of you go along this route please never leave the cat unattended. If you care to see the Indoor/outdoor debate topic on my site address below, I think there is something about harnesses on there.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
cat harness - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:39:14 AM »
Hiya all,

right, so Mia is now 7 months old, and the weather is getting nicer, so I thought it would be great for her to enjoy the sun and the grass and the flowers etc.

My problem is that we don't have a enclosed garden, it's a communal one (though very nice) and it gives onto a bit where cars park, so I'm worried about her getting ran over, but also about something else. She's very small, and very curious, and if she sees anything like an opening, she tries to climb into it (ended up a few times inside people's trouser legs). I mean, a couple of months ago, she got inside the bathroom wall, and it took us two hours to get her out (and I was near hysterical). So I'm worried that if she's left outside on her own, she will get inside something and get stuck, I'm particularly worried about her ending up under a car bonet or something.

So I thought maybe I could take her out on a harness and leash. I used to find them very silly and ridiculous but now I'm not sure.

Is it a stupoid idea? Am I being ridiculous? If you have any experience with those, is there advice you can give me?

Cheers,
Déborah

Link to CatChat