Author Topic: suicidal voles  (Read 2747 times)

Offline deniseb90

• Senior Cat
    • Anim-Mates
Re: suicidal voles
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 21:51:25 PM »
Is there a mice epidemic or what?!!!  Rescued two today - one from Meg and one from Missy - poor Twinkle couldn't catch a cold, god love him!!

There was a mouse behind the cooker the other night, but couldn't get it - and in the morning it was gone - whether it managed to get out or the cats got him, I'm not sure !!!

Last week while I was getting dressed in my bedroom Meg bought me in a little bird (looked a bit like a sparrow) - it was still alive and then started to fly round the room with me trying to grab it - Missy then took over and ran downstairs with it in her mouth, growling at me like a tiger!!  Managed to get the poor thing and put it outside where I'm sure it met it's fate!

Cat's can be orrible some times!!!!  Have had a screaming frog in the house too - now that was horrible!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 19:56:20 PM »
UPDATE ON THE MOUSE SITUATION: heard the little blighter scuffling about behind the cooker, pulled out the cooker and it ran behind the washing machine. Madness, four cats and the mouse has now been running free for three days!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 14:42:35 PM »
That's classic...it's exactly what you'd expect to find in your coat pocket(!)

Offline squidgystar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 12:09:32 PM »
I've got the same problem! My oldest guy came in last night, mewed at me then dropped a live mouse on the floor....which promptly pegged it behind the fridge freezer! After pulling out the said item and finding nothing, I now have to rely on my four cats and a couple of humane mousetraps to catch the silly sod! (If it would just come out I could scoop it up and put it outside, but no it's hiding from me!)

I think the mouse round here are used to it... when they drop them on the floor live, quite often they just sit and wait for me to pick them up!  we joked they were sending themselves in to get the seeds from M.R.U.... we were going to paint a number on their back to see if we got the same one in more than once! :evillaugh:

The nastiest one was the rat... I threw my boyfriends jacket over it and lept on it, then slowly peeled it back.  The butter had dissapeared but I figured it was too big to hide for long!  I didn't think to mention it it too my boyfriend.  A short while later, he put his jacket on, stuck his hand in his pocket... and found the rat! :sick: :evillaugh:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 10:28:30 AM »
I am so glad mine dont catch anything - although haven't had a full summer with Tiger yet, hope she isn't the first!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 10:17:12 AM »
oh Lord - just bin laughing at the last lot of posts re the budgie and the vole!   :rofl:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 09:54:07 AM »
They could have let the gingers clear it out of course but my brother wouldn't allow it to be killed but gingers did sort of help with hearding it out of kitchen but weren't allowed to get it.  I've little doubt it met it's fate later outside of course.

I've got no qualms about letting them help me catch it, the little sod brought it in, he can catch it so I can post him back outside with it! ;)

As you say, it's very likely to meet the same fate later outside anyway. It looks suspciously like the one I wrangled from my youngest girls mouth the other day; some of 'em just don't learn, do they?!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 08:43:32 AM »
My brother had same problem Jackspratt. His wife is recently from Singapore and has been very good at getting used to his 3 cats but the line was drawn at the mouse/rat that one of the gingers brought in to the kitchen last week. It was in kitchen for 5 days and my sister in law stayed in upstairs bedroom for 5 days too! I'm sure she must have come out on occasion but definitely did not go in kitchen  :rofl:  They could have let the gingers clear it out of course but my brother wouldn't allow it to be killed but gingers did sort of help with hearding it out of kitchen but weren't allowed to get it.  I've little doubt it met it's fate later outside of course.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 23:54:47 PM »
when I saw my cat leap out their bedroom window with the budgie...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 22:32:58 PM »
I've got the same problem! My oldest guy came in last night, mewed at me then dropped a live mouse on the floor....which promptly pegged it behind the fridge freezer! After pulling out the said item and finding nothing, I now have to rely on my four cats and a couple of humane mousetraps to catch the silly sod! (If it would just come out I could scoop it up and put it outside, but no it's hiding from me!)

Offline squidgystar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 18:52:22 PM »
 :evillaugh: the voles far more sensible than I gave him credit for!

He's just dashed across the bedroom, down the corridor, across the kitchen and out the back door! ...not bad for a house with 3 cats!  :rofl:

Offline squidgystar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 18:02:46 PM »
last place we lived was worse... we'd had an on-going feud with the neighbours for months over their rude and abusive kids! ...we'd just managed to settle the peace for about a week when I saw my cat leap out their bedroom window with the budgie... she ran around with it squawking for half an hour, when we finally go hold it it the kindest thing to do was put it out of it's misery... they were ok about it but they asked to have it back so they could bury it... that was fine, but we had to try and rearrange the head back in place  :sick:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 18:00:43 PM »
no im pretty sure it wasnt ron...its really annoying me as to who it was, think i might search cc archives later on to satisfy my curiosity.

fuzziesdad

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 17:53:45 PM »
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you certainly have problems dont you..shame i love voles and shrews (they dont come into lofts LOL)

Some one on catchat had an awful problem with toads and frogs being brought into the house for weeks, cant remember who it was though..it was a bloke im sure but cant even remember cats name.

it might have been ron he has had his own cats bringing frogs in by the dozen,we love all the little things they bring in but unfortunately they are mostly dead .but we have had a few that we have saved inc one lucky robin who has been in the jaws of both of the youngsters and hopped out both times and still dances around in front of the cats showing off and will follow me around the garden singing at the top of his voice bless him/her.
birds don't seem to come up in their menu unless they are showoffs rhodri has and is living a very dangerous life but up to now has got away with it.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 17:42:19 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you certainly have problems dont you..shame i love voles and shrews (they dont come into lofts LOL)

Some one on catchat had an awful problem with toads and frogs being brought into the house for weeks, cant remember who it was though..it was a bloke im sure but cant even remember cats name.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 17:28:53 PM »
i woke up the other morning and looked over the edge of my bed to come face to face with a black bird hopping around!

Not as funny as the time the field mouse shot up my sleeve as I bent down to catch it... i dont mind picking them up but that was too close for comfort!  I ran out the house screaming and 3 passer-bys had to help undress me to remove the mouse!  :rofl:

omg nooooo :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline squidgystar

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 17:21:49 PM »
i woke up the other morning and looked over the edge of my bed to come face to face with a black bird hopping around!

Not as funny as the time the field mouse shot up my sleeve as I bent down to catch it... i dont mind picking them up but that was too close for comfort!  I ran out the house screaming and 3 passer-bys had to help undress me to remove the mouse!  :rofl:

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 17:18:13 PM »
as ive said b4 i couldnt handle it if i had a cat who went out and they brought bk something half dead or dead  :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:id pass out
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 17:17:11 PM »
Poor little devil.  And poor you!

Have been watching two woodmice in the garden this afternoon - zipping around stealing peanuts from the bird feeder while Paddy snoozed barely three feet away from them.  Crazy or what?!!   ;D

fuzziesdad

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 17:16:04 PM »
we have our two youngest now working in tandem voles,bank voles,shrews,mice,slow worms you name it they kill it and bring it home,although just lately its slowed down a bit we hope because they are getting older and wiser you can't eat it all and the food we give them obviously tastes better its a sort of food exchange we give then nice food and we get dead creatures that have to be buried  in the garden .................................but we do say thank you ......and they still bring them :sick:

Offline squidgystar

• Adult Cat
suicidal voles
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 17:03:41 PM »
aaaaargh!

My own two are natural born killers and every night I'm either clearing up rodent remains or trying to catch the escapee's!  I now feel so guilty about the number of kills I have created M.R.U. (mouse recovery unit).

I've just spent the past hour chasing the tiniest little vole round my bedroom... I even had to enlist the help of the killer to locate it at one point!

Eventually the poor little butter got itself caught in a plastic bag... so I scooped him up and took him off to the window, shook the bag out the window and the daft thing lept back inside, off the endge and behind the cooker!

Link to CatChat