Author Topic: Bit of fun - help me choose a new kitty collar for Dinah!  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Re: Bit of fun - help me choose a new kitty collar for Dinah!
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 16:40:07 PM »
 :evillaugh:
Well, the poll seems pretty conclusive!  Pink diamante it is (although husband has just said "£7.99, she'sll probably lose it in a week...."). We might order a teal or pink glitter one as well just in case the leatherette is too hard. 
I know that we have many differing opinons about collars on the board so thanks also for keeping the thread calm  ;)

Hey Baggy, have a look at this collar, instant bling collar  :Crazy:  :rofl:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAT-DOG-COLLAR-Diamante-Rhinestone-Personalized-Collar_W0QQitemZ270104054864QQcategoryZ20746QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
:evillaugh:
Oh. My. God!  It's like "Pimp my cat"!!

Offline @Cat

• Kitten
  • Nose, @, Iris
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 17:08:23 PM »
I didn't realise that elasticated collars aren't the safest that you can get.
@ and Iris don't wear collars as they're house cats but I've ordered a teal reflective one from Kittycollars.co.uk for Nose to replace hers.  :)

ccmacey

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 15:37:08 PM »
I never put colars on my cats either Michelle. I dont like them and think they are unsafe. I know there are safety one's but still I wouldnt trust them.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 11:38:06 AM »
I went for pink glitter, the reflective ones are nice but they're made out of PVC so I can imagine they would be a bit stiff.  The pink glitter is made from velvet so would be nice and soft.

Great idea by the way Baggy, I'm struggling with choosing collars for Kali and Riley when they are old enough - I'm gonna do a poll too  ;D

Me too Helen it looks lovely   ;D

Looking forward to Kali and Riley's poll too  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

How are the gorgeous pair getting on?

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Taz, Marvin, Monty, Merlin & DS RIP Tasha & Baldrick
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 01:21:17 AM »
Hey Baggy, have a look at this collar, instant bling collar  :Crazy:  :rofl:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAT-DOG-COLLAR-Diamante-Rhinestone-Personalized-Collar_W0QQitemZ270104054864QQcategoryZ20746QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bit expensive & you'd have to find out a bit more about them safetywise, but otherwise 1 intant bling kitty  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 01:22:09 AM by siou2 »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 23:18:15 PM »
I went for pink glitter, the reflective ones are nice but they're made out of PVC so I can imagine they would be a bit stiff.  The pink glitter is made from velvet so would be nice and soft.

Great idea by the way Baggy, I'm struggling with choosing collars for Kali and Riley when they are old enough - I'm gonna do a poll too  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 23:04:55 PM »

[/quote]I really dont see the need in a cat wearing a collar other than for it "looking nice" - i am totally against them.
(please be gentle with replys....had enough of people jumping down my throat today  :rofl:)
[/quote]

I am against them as a rule but last summer, kylie killed 2 young birds in the garden so I make her wear one during the day when there are young birds around. Kylie isn't that agile and the olde birds can fly off in time  :evillaugh:

Ela has a section on her website re collars

http://www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk/Chesterfield%20cats%20protection%20Collar%20dangers.htm
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 23:13:37 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 22:48:33 PM »
Tigger's a black and white long haired girl and she's got a bright pink personalised collar from kitty collars so bright pink is definately the way to go lol  (Bilbo's is bright blue!) ;D They only wear them when travelling though as they are indoor and cat run cats rather than free roaming.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 22:46:54 PM »
She's black and white, fluffy, quite a dainty, girly lady, a stay at home kind of girl who likes to play and sleep  :)
She's also a wilful little madam  ;)

Well I'm not a fan of pink, myself - so I'd go for the teal sparkly one :)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 22:42:02 PM »
Other people on here know better than me but the elastic ones can be worse than the rigid ones. Some of the elastic ones are designed to snap which aren't ideal but better than the ones that just strech. Teresa can correct me but I think rosey may have been wearing an elasticated one. What can happen is it stretches enough that they can get one paw leg through. Then when they struggle, it gets embedded into their skin. I complained to trading standards about PAH calling elasticated collars safety ones. They (Cheshire council) said they will bring it up in the next meeting but I didn't hear any more.

I really dont see the need in a cat wearing a collar other than for it "looking nice" - i am totally against them.
(please be gentle with replys....had enough of people jumping down my throat today  :rofl:)

ccmacey

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 21:44:12 PM »
Yes pink diamante for me it is then, the kinda collar every little madam should have.  :)

Offline Marie

• Senior Cat
  • Maisy and Tommy
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 21:27:13 PM »
She sounds like a pink diamante kind of girl to me!  I bought Maisy a personalised pink one from Kittycollars but as she has had her neck scratching problem I probably won't ever put it on her, now the question is should I let it go to waste or put it on Tommy (nah, pink, that would just be mean!!!).
Marie, Maisy and Tommy xxx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 21:00:04 PM »
Other people on here know better than me but the elastic ones can be worse than the rigid ones. Some of the elastic ones are designed to snap which aren't ideal but better than the ones that just strech. Teresa can correct me but I think rosey may have been wearing an elasticated one. What can happen is it stretches enough that they can get one paw leg through. Then when they struggle, it gets embedded into their skin. I complained to trading standards about PAH calling elasticated collars safety ones. They (Cheshire council) said they will bring it up in the next meeting but I didn't hear any more.

All the collars from kittycollars.co.uk are safety

Some (not all) of PAH are safety and even wilkinsons sell a safety one.

The safe ones snap apart under pressure. It means that once in a while you might lose a collar but better than losing or injuring a cat.

I'm not finger wagging just passing on stuff I learned on here.  ;D

Here's another company that only sells real safety collars www.kittycatboutique.co.uk/

No collars on there at the moment  :Crazy:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 21:16:08 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 20:56:22 PM »
What colour is she and whats her personality like, I think these things make a difference when choosing a collar

well lets see - what sort of purrsonality does she have?  Is she a party girl?  A stay at home sort of girl?  A tomboy or a girly girl?
She's black and white, fluffy, quite a dainty, girly lady, a stay at home kind of girl who likes to play and sleep  :)
She's also a wilful little madam  ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 20:57:05 PM by Baggy »

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 20:54:49 PM »
It said safety on the packaging, and it has a piece of elastic on it, I assume that's the safety part, so it would stretch and she'd fall out of it if she got caught?
It wasn't from that person I got it, the same one from someone else, with a silver one as well  :-:

It was £3.50 for the pink one, the silver one, and the postage.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 20:58:47 PM by karenjet »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 20:49:46 PM »
I vote for the pink diamante. I got one for Jasmine and it looks gorgeous on her.
This is the one I got http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/pink-diamante-pet-cat-dog-collar-with-bell_W0QQitemZ200096650734QQcategoryZ66763QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is that a safety collar Karen. There has been a big debate on here and previously on catchat regarding safety collars. Teresa's lovely Rosey lost a leg through a non-safety one. I hate to lecture but I am really scared of other collars (rather the damage they can do)

Link to thread with pics of Rosey after her op

http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/15/42424.html

closeup of wound

http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/15/rosey_01_031-42518.unk
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 20:52:18 PM by Mark »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 20:46:15 PM »
well lets see - what sort of purrsonality does she have?  Is she a party girl?  A stay at home sort of girl?  A tomboy or a girly girl?

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 20:45:32 PM »
That is a nice 1 Karen, could I ask how much it was? The cheek.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 20:43:31 PM »
I vote for the pink diamante. I got one for Jasmine and it looks gorgeous on her.
This is the one I got http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/pink-diamante-pet-cat-dog-collar-with-bell_W0QQitemZ200096650734QQcategoryZ66763QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 20:38:01 PM »
What colour is she and whats her personality like, I think these things make a difference when choosing a collar, you have to get something that shows her personality.

I know its just a bit of fun, I'm taking this far too serious,  :rofl:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Bit of fun - help me choose a new kitty collar for Dinah!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 20:31:02 PM »
I'm a Libra, I'm hopeless at making decisions - help me out   :-[

She has a manky old pink one at the moment and I think would like a spanking new one to celebrate becoming our cat  :Luv:

http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/

Link to CatChat