Author Topic: The new Animal Welfare reforms. What has changed?  (Read 6521 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: The new Animal Welfare reforms. What has changed?
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 11:58:55 AM »
It has been the law a long time, not sure how long though, it is a Environmental Health thing. Although obviously if the pet dies at home or a vet comes to the home to PTS that is different. I think many vets in the interest of compassion conveniently forget the law, although I know one vet who doesn't.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 11:51:04 AM »
Ela, I just saw you say on another thread that it's against the law for a vet to let you take the body. I didn't think it was appropriate to ask on that thread, so I'm asking here: since when has this been the case? Is it law? Is it recent? The last cat I had pts was in 1993 and he's buried in my garden. My mother had her dog pts about 2yrs ago, and her dog is buried in mum's garden. Is this something to do with the recent change in the law?

Mark, it would be nice if a knowlegeable peep on here would outline the changes in the law. I'm befuddled!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 11:47:21 AM »
I am worried as Kylie has always been overweight. She has low fat food and coley. As for grooming, she hates it and I have to chase her round the garden - even then she attacks and draws blood. I even bought a "good girl" brush with a long handle yesterday to try.

Does that make me a bad owner for having a pudding who is less than perfectly groomed?  :-:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 11:39:40 AM »
I realise that there are bad, neglectful owners, Ela, but as the RSPCA don't have a very good reputation, I wondered whether this could infringe upon the rights of good, caring owners.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 11:36:28 AM »
quote] what would happen if some malicious neighbour or disgruntled ex decided to claim that someone was being cruel or neglectful to a pet?[/quote]

Like now I would think an Inspector would come to the home and see for himself if there is a problem. and maybe now can do something about it.

Have any of our rights been eroded by this legislation?

I hope they have, as it is now bad pet owners cat get away with too much.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
The new Animal Welfare reforms. What has changed?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 11:03:25 AM »
I would be grateful if someone would tell me in plain language what the new reforms entail, and what new powers the RSPCA have. I'm a bit paranoid about this. Although my cats are happy and well cared for, what would happen if some malicious neighbour or disgruntled ex decided to claim that someone was being cruel or neglectful to a pet?

Have any of our rights been eroded by this legislation?

What do other peeps think?

Link to CatChat