Author Topic: Which animal gets to be rehomed?  (Read 3236 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Which animal gets to be rehomed?
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 11:58:41 AM »
We didn't have any cats in the family when I was a child but I did have a dog (I begged for a dog for years and then was promised one if I passed my 11+ - which I did so we got a dog - a cocker spaniel  ;D ).  My sister has a black labrador (had 2 until recently when one of them had to be pts) and he's gorgeous.  I'm a fairly recent convert to cats but I am a cat person through and through. If forced to choose I'd go for cats any time.   It's not that I don't like dogs but it takes me a while to adapt to dogs when I encounter one.  In general, they're more boisterous and sloppy and when I visit my sister I usually end up with saliva on my clothes within minutes!  It takes me a while to adapt as I'm used to small, clean cats walking along the back of the sofa and rubbing their heads against mine rather than big, bouncy dogs having a drink then running up to me and slobbering all over my legs!  Once I've been there a while I get into dog mode though and enjoy playing with them.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 11:42:46 AM »
Cats are more sophisticated, have better manners, and are more fun.

my cats dont have any manners at all  :rofl:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 10:19:26 AM »
Cats are more sophisticated, have better manners, and are more fun.

As you may know I am one of the worlds biggest cat lovers, and have only had 1 dog Badger. But having the privilege of owning him made me realize that dogs although more like babies, are no less worthy than cats and every bit as endearing. They can  also much fun. I must admit his manners were not  always 100% e.g he would always go out of the door first, however, the same can be said for is  my cats, if I open a door they don't wait for me to go first. In fact in some ways he was better as when we sat down to eat he always lay down away from us. yet the cat need to put put in another room otherwise you cannot eat a meal in peace.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 09:33:33 AM »
I've been a cat-person since I can remember - even as a child. I don't like the way dogs greet you, with tails wagging and sloppy kisses. Cats are so much more polite: they simply walk up to you, tail erect, with a little mew. I don't like the hyperactivity of dogs, prefering the serenity of an adult cat. And dogs are so noisy! All that barking! Okay, cats can make a racket when they want to, but it's more gently insistent.

Cats are more sophisticated, have better manners, and are more fun. The only disadvantage is that I can't take them for a walk.

And a cat is a person in his/her own right. They know what you want them to do, but only do it if they want to. I love this individuality. If you say to a dog 'jump' it asks 'how high?'. If you say 'jump' to a cat, she/he'll think about it, then say 'maybe'.

I love cats!  :C: :A: :T: :S:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 17:57:59 PM »
I was always a dog person from being a kid, but since I got involved with doing cat rescue, the tables have turned.  I still have 2 dogs, one's a shepherd and one's a shepherd x rottie and I love them to bits and I don't think I could choose between the 2, but my dogs do drive me mad........lol.  I can't understand peeps who get animals and then just get rid as easy.......all mine are part of the family, even the feral cats.  They live in my home, get treated exactly the same as my cats and if they need vet treatment, they get it.  As long as they are here, mine don't get preferential treatment........they are all equals and that includes the kids as well  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 17:59:20 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 15:48:46 PM »
susie :: me 2

i had the worst day ive had for ages yesterday

and last night while walking my dog i had to wittness a german shepherd attack a yorkie
all i wanted to do was scream and just close my eye s but i had to be strong for the dog and the very ederly owner , thank god the yorkie was alright but i was left shaking so badly i couldnt even hold my own dogs lead properly and i was up all night with the runs  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

i wish people would muzzle there dogs(who cant behave) i really do .

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 15:38:15 PM »
To be honest, I am more of a dog person, although I really like cats too obviously - or I wouldn't have 3 of them now  ;D

But my lifestyle and living circumstances are not suited to dog ownership at the moment as some days I am out a lot and wouldn't have time for all the walks. My cats now they are adults require less time spent with them as they sleep more, although I am always in for feeding times and part of each day. However as soon as I move to my own place with a suitable garden and have the money etc then I will definitely get a dog (or 3).

Now I know for a fact (because I have had my 3 cats since kittenhood) that none of them have been in contact much with dogs, although one of them was bitten by a neighbour's out of control puppy a few months ago when he managed to get into my yard.  For this very reason I am going to search for exactly the right dog when I am in a position to rehome one.  I will get a dog that is not a young pup, but one that is a bit older and has lived with cats before, either in previous home or foster and I have actually seen with my own eyes interact calmly with (or ignore) cats.

I will also be really careful and patient with introductions and the cats will be the ones with the free range around the house while the dog is confined with stairgates etc until I am confident that they are safe to be in the same room.  I have had cats with dogs in the past and never had any issues apart from simple training of the dogs to not chase.  I know that until my new dog and cats meet, I will never truely know how they will react but I'm planning on being as prepared as possible and am happy for it to take as long as it takes.  Knowing my cats, it won't be too bad as they are pretty laid back.

I know that most people value dogs above cats because of the bond that can exist between dog and owner.  I know that I have a strong bond with my cats too, but it is a different kind of bond with dogs and I can see why some people think it is more important.

If a dog is cat-aggressive (or dog or people aggressive) then they should be muzzled in public, although depending on the type of aggression maybe just when offlead.  It is my opinion that dogs should not be left unsupervised in gardens anyway, so that solves that issue too.  It is shocking how many dogs are stolen each year from gardens that their owners think are secure.

I definitely wouldn't agree that every dog who has issues with cats should be pts.  It is not an ex-racing greyhound's fault that it has been trained to chase and attack small furry creatures, and their owners should take steps to ensure the safety of other animals.  However we all know how many irresponsible pet owners there are and countless times I see out-of-control dogs in public places.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 17:30:51 PM »
Oh Ela, how awful to have to hear that and bite your tongue (or do you?)

I have too, there is no choice and sometimes I spit out the feathers after.

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 17:26:08 PM »
I hear the cat gets rehomed instead of the dog when things go pear shaped and they dont get on.

I receive calls like this constantly and also where there is an older cat and a kitten  they always want to 'get rid' of the older cat who perhaps has lived with the family for years. It is so sad. Or sometimes we are asked if a family can swap their older cat for a kitten. Do we oblige? Um no.

Oh Ela, how awful to have to hear that and bite your tongue (or do you?)  :mad2:

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 15:59:49 PM »
I Always feel more protective againest my cats then my dog because they r all so small
but no one animal is more important than another
some people prefer cats to dogs ,some prefer dogs to cats
personally i lurve em both  :Luv:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 15:36:31 PM »
i dont believe dogs are more important but i understand the different relationship between humans and dogs / cats.  Dogs are very much different and in a lot of ways what they give back is more obvious if that makes sense ? 

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 13:11:50 PM »
I have often read this too -

You only have to look at the free adds

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 10:26:50 AM »
There are some strange people who think that dogs are more important than cats. This is even in law. Makes you wonder why they had a cat.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 09:27:38 AM »
I think sometimes people get a cat when they really wanted a dog but weren't at home enough to walk it etc.  Then they are in a position to get a dog and the cat is no longer wanted :(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 08:19:11 AM »
I see this where I volunteer a fair bit (along with the usual allergy and emigration stories and even last week a woman who told me cats and babies "just don't go") I think it is probably a case of novelty wearing off or maybe got a cat when really wanted a dog and when they realised cats weren't small dogs got a dog anyway

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 07:53:31 AM »
I hear the cat gets rehomed instead of the dog when things go pear shaped and they dont get on.

I receive calls like this constantly and also where there is an older cat and a kitten  they always want to 'get rid' of the older cat who perhaps has lived with the family for years. It is so sad. Or sometimes we are asked if a family can swap their older cat for a kitten. Do we oblige? Um no.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 07:27:53 AM »
I have never understood why if the cat came first, that is the one that has to go, but suspect it could have something to do with those kind of people 'wanting' the dog more cos it is new and novelty - and it could happen to the dog next time they get a new pet. It could also be because we are on a cat site, so you hear more cats that need homes than dogs. Have never been on one, but bet if you went on dog forums regularly, there would be sad tales of dogs needing homes for similar sad reasons as the cats we hear about on here. 
Please spay your cat

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
Which animal gets to be rehomed?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 23:57:46 PM »
At the risk of starting a heated debate, I was wondering why a lot of times I hear the cat gets rehomed instead of the dog when things go pear shaped and they dont get on.  I have just read a thread on another site where the cat was adopted first but now has to go as the dog chases it and the cat is not happy.  I feel really sad for him  :(

Link to CatChat