Author Topic: Electric shocks?  (Read 1689 times)

fuzziesdad

Re: Electric shocks?
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 17:22:57 PM »
its called static electric shock,nylon carpets,nylon curtains,and just about any kind of fur,Squeak always gives me a shock in the summer and I don't think it gives them any problems.   

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 17:13:39 PM »
It happens to me when mine's are on the cat tree  :Crazy:

More so with Muppet than Rascal though, have no idea why  :sneaky:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 14:33:53 PM »
I get static shocks off Amber all the time. Its strange as she can obviously feel them as she jumps as well but I dont get any off Mogs. I can have spent 10 mins stroking Mogs, reach out for Amber and get a shock
love
Tab

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 12:34:22 PM »
Well I had a massive one yesterday when i touched Misa and this is really odd cos I was sitting in a wooden deckchair outside on concrete and he was on the concrete and we both jumped cos it was so powerful.

Can only think its the weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
The only place I have carpet is on my stairs and I've got no idea what it's made of.  :-:

I like to give Jasmine a good rub, too, Debbie, so maybe that could be what's doing it. But I'm like you, I often get them from things myself.

I haven't noticed her hair standing up when I touch her, well except in fear this morning on our way to the vets, poor wee thing.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 11:22:02 AM »
I used to get shocks when when had carpet in the basement (btw carpet was 80% wool 20% something or other - It wasn't nylon!!  ;D )
It's stopped now we have a wood floor down here  ;D

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 11:17:57 AM »
Oooh I am glad this has been posted, I have been getting electric shocks from Sam recently and wondered why.  I do give his fur a good rub sometimes though so that's probably why.... :innocent:

I get them off my car door too, I normally use another item in my hand to push it closed instead.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 11:11:38 AM »
i go through periods have being very bad with static shocks but touch wood not too bad lately.

one thing I CANNOT touch is the button for summoning a lift in shopping malls i always get a corker of a shock off of them but yet i watch other people pressing them and non of them do ??????  :Crazy:

I either use my sleeve over my finger LOL or get my son to push it for me  :rofl:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 06:35:40 AM »
Do you have nylon carpets? If so, try wearing rubber soled slippers to prevent any build-up of static electricity in your body. This could be why you receive a slight shock when touching your cat. Does Jasmine's fur stand on end when you put your hand close to her? If so, she has lots of static in her fur. Not sure how you deal with this.

I'm sure someone has a more scientific explanation!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 21:40:08 PM »
Would be interested in teh answer, this happens a lot with me too - I have had to stop wearing one nighty cos I gave them loads of shocks while wearing that!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 21:39:17 PM »
Stop touching her ears! .....  :rofl:

Sorry Karen not encountered this problem and not able to offer any real advice I'm afraid.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
Electric shocks?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 21:36:01 PM »
For some reason I keep either giving shocks, or getting them from Jasmine when I stroke her. It seems to happen mostly when I'm in bed, and when I touch her ears. Does anyone know why this might be? And how I can stop it?

Link to CatChat