Author Topic: Calling all rescues on Purrs  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Re: Calling all rescues on Purrs
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 21:54:45 PM »
Mark did ya want me to move some of ya posts to another thread so peeps can see it more for ya?  :Luv:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 21:31:00 PM »
Please get this thread back on topic, which is Tans request at the first post.

Thank you

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 16:05:39 PM »
Is it possible that you could borrow a trap and get the little one (while there is still only one) to the vets for spay. worm and flea?
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 15:31:35 PM »
She won't let me anywhere near. She certainly isn't underweight, in fact fot a young, small cat she has a bit of a belly. As soon as I get 1/2 way across the garden she takes off over the 7ft high fence. I tried staying still and coaxing her but she is having none of it. Iwill keep a watchful eye and see if I can get a pic to post.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 14:37:33 PM »
I can't tell if she is a stray but she is eating all

Is it possible to handle her?  If so can you take it to a vet to see if chipped,  if not  perhaps you could put a collar on her neck with a message and then of no owner rings put her on a rescues list of cats waiting to come in. Unfortunately far too many people wait until it is pregnant/ill/injured or feel that it has fed it long enough before they decide to take any action. It is guaranteed on the first day of a a frost I will received loads of calls saying 'I've been feeding this cat all summer can you take in in now its getting cold'. If only they had rung when the cat had first appeared we could have given them advice as to how the owner may be found and most certainly it would have been in care and quite possibly homed.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 14:28:31 PM »
was curious as to what a brindle cat is. I looked on google and it is what I thought was a tortie.

Yes people do say tortie, but when adopted my first (brindle/tortoe)  from the MSPCA (Manx Society for the etc) they called her brindle and I have seen some described as that on some sites. Of course the are many dogs the same colouring and they are called brindle not dark tortie. I don't think it matters really to be honest I would not care if my cat was ginger pink with blur spots on. ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 17:08:42 PM »
Ela

I was curious as to what a brindle cat is. I looked on google and it is what I thought was a tortie. Is there a difference. There is one coming to feed in my garden at the moment. I can't tell if she is a stray but she is eating all the food I put out for the hedgehogs. She is fine at the moment as it's not too warm but if kylie see her, she attacks the cat   :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 15:12:36 PM »
I know the feeling Ela........lol.  I fall in love with so many of mine and they are not classed as unhomeable as such but I do think of an excuse not to let them go  :-[  I am toughening up on myself now though and if the right homes come along, then I generally let them go.  I have my own cats which won't be going anywhere but the newer residents I've been quite hard on myself.  Morris was one that I would have loved to have kept but he's now found a fab home which I'm really pleased about, it means he will get more attention than what I can give him which has to be better for him.  But I do miss the little guy and I can still hear his whinging which he did frequently did for attention  :Luv:  :Luv:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 18:27:32 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 07:43:55 AM »
I remember once a lovely Brindle cat was brought to my door by a woman who was drunk, she said she had found it on the busiest road in Chesterfield. She signed it over although gut feeling fold me the cat was hers. she knew just too much about it. I immediately fell in love. The next day quite late at night there was a knock on the door it was the woman (drunk) with a cat basket, saying I want the cat, I said sorry it was a stray and you signed it over, she skept repeating  I want it, in the end my husband who is usually the most placid man you would meet came to the door and told her to ‘go away’ but not quite like that. In a very short time that cat became unhomeable, (because I adored it, I did not want to let it go). When anyone came to view cats I didn't show  Abbey. Then one day a lady came to view kittens and there was something about her and I knew she would be perfect for Abbey and something just made me say Oh! and  have Abbey here, she is adorable. Abbey and a kitten found a purrfect home. I try very hard nowadays not to indulge myself but sometimes it is very difficult especially if there is a  Brindle and if the are Brindle and old it is  it even more difficult for me to let go.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 19:21:24 PM »
I wouldn't have what you would say any unhomeable cats, apart from Minnie who won't be going anywhere, she isn't unhomeable but she isn't 100% so she will be staying.  I have Rosie who with the right home would make a fab cat, she is gorgeous.......her only downfall is she won't use a litter tray, which obviously is a big put off for some people.  I have mentioned Jimmy to a few people but as soon as his skin problems and age are mentioned, they don't want to know.  I think there is a home for everyone of them out there, it's just finding the right home and being patient.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 16:19:49 PM »
Have emailed you Tan.

I agree with you Ela, but when you have a difficult cat for some years you tend to just treat it like its going nowhere, until that very special person turns up. Like lucky Vanity.

I know what you mean about somepeople thinking that others aren't capable of giving the neccessary care.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 16:15:21 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 09:21:03 AM »
No smacked legs needed Ela I am in agreement with you.
Think everyone knows Minimopsicals story but for those that dont she is Cerebral Hypoplasia most severe case imaginable,I have rehomed others with milder forms.
Buster has diet food after a penilectomy and if that was his only complaint he would receive the grand order of the boot, however he is on 2 injections monthly for spondylosis of the spine, on heart med for grade 4 heart murmur and has survived 7 known heart attacks and he will be 22 in December.
Ivan an adult feral costs me no more than any other cat to keep, one day he is fine the next his weight falls off hes wheezing and terrified, hes been xrayed, blood tested and no reason found,hes started wheezing this morning by next week he will be normal again,anyway vet advised static indoor environment and is not happy to pass him fit for rehoming.

My opinion - If a cat is fit for rehoming then do so and make way for the genuine needy ones that need help.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 08:36:08 AM »
I appreciate that VERY occasionally there are exceptions to the rule. Minimopsical  didn't even enter my mind when posting and I am afraid I don't  really know Buster or Ivan's story. (perhaps it should be smacked legs)  But there are some people that think the are the only person capable of caring for a certain cat, and this I feel is wrong. As I say a previous Co-ordinator thought that and ended up with 123 cats, and the worst cases were only diabetic.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 19:30:14 PM »
Ela after finding the right home for Vanity after 8 long years in care I almost believe that the right home is waiting for each cat, however I must admit to having taken vets advice on not to rehome Minimopsical or Buster or Ivan, so I do feel there is the odd exception to the rule.
I do agree though there are certain people who choose to label an animal as unhomeable rather than part with him/her.
Its a minefield.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 19:04:39 PM »
With Cats Protection no cat is ever considered unhomeable, however, sometimes it does take a very long time to find the right home for the right home. About 5 years ago our Cats Protection split when the Co-ordinator had collected 123 cats and 10 dogs plus loads of other little ones. The problem was she and about 4 others thought that only they were good enough to care for certain cats with problem. As we all know somewhere although very difficult to find is the right home.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Calling all rescues on Purrs
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 18:56:36 PM »
Hiya Purrs rescues and peeps

Please could you let me know as soon as poss of any cats in rescues that are un-homable due to disability or perminate illness and that need constant medicine or unhomable for other reasons.

Thanks.  :Luv:

Link to CatChat