Author Topic: help on moving day, cat advise please  (Read 1474 times)

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
Re: help on moving day, cat advise please
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 20:58:18 PM »
hello we are off in the morn , our contracts were exchanged yestoday so we had 2 more days to pack but them phoebe 2 yr old fell off the bed banged her had , threw up , shacking and fell to sleep so we rushed to A&E and she was admitted , we have just got back home it is a nightmare , found a fab cattery , moomin and mango are there now and we will be packing through the night
good luck x

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 20:08:55 PM »

I
I will keep him in,for a few days, there is no cat flap in new house, so have to get that sorted anyway as he is used to a cat flap. We are moving to house in same street, but further round, I dont know if he will recognise any of it as his teritory as new house is quite away round the road.

Hi Lynne,

Good luck with the move !

One thing though, i would keep him in for a couple of weeks rather than a few days

Michelle xxx

Offline lynne

• Adult Cat
  • Ziggy (9 yrs old)
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 14:05:31 PM »
Good luck with your move too...cosmic creeper (yes im in the UK).

We found out TODAY that move is on. (exchanged contracts) and move tomorrow!!  Ziggy is in an empty room fast asleep on a chair and his blanket.

Its a stressful time, got let down by van hire Co today so morning spent ringing round for a replacement. Lucky we got one!

We have hit lucky as people moving into my house are not moving in till Friday. So we are doing same thing, locking Zig in room he is used to, moving out, then going back to collect him, so only one small journey.

Yes, zig is wondering what the heck is going on!!

Phew.... its stressful all round!!
Lynne X

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 21:42:27 PM »
oh and try felliway ,can get it from vets

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 20:09:55 PM »
hi lynne we are off to the solicitors in the morn to sighn and if our local aurthority serch is back for our new house we are also moving thur
it has been a mad rush to pack up this weekend with a  4 yr old that crys and runs to her room when we mention it and a 2 yr old that unpacks everybox before we can tape it
not to mention the 2 cats

we will find out tomorrow and then we have to ring the cattery and pray they have room and get a van , its all a mad rush , hubby is working right up to thur and we ant finished packing yet and i ant got a babysitter to watch the girls  :Crazy:

we are moveing all our stuff into the new garage , stripping wallpaper and then plastering before moomin and mango can come home and i will miss em loads

good luck lynne , are u in england like me cause untill the contrats are exchanged then anything could happen ( when do they do that anyway , is it on the day of compleation )

Offline lynne

• Adult Cat
  • Ziggy (9 yrs old)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 18:27:08 PM »
Yeah, I think my Mums for a few hours is my best option,
Thanks X

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 11:09:45 AM »
I agree with Hippy ... he'll be fine at your mums ... leave a litter tray, food and water and he'll be OK.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 11:04:57 AM »
Put his bed at your mum's with some other familiar things like toys, maybe some unwashed clothes of yours - stuff which says 'home' to him. He'll be fine. He may be a little grumpy, but won't come to any harm.

When you move into your new house, I would recommend keeping him in for a fortnight to make the bond with the new house. Otherwise you may find that he goes to your current home. He'll be confused. I tend to be cautious when settling cats and give them lots of time, ignoring protests to go out. It's better in the long run. Let him put a familiar 'smell' to the new house and learn that this is now the family home.

:luck:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline lynne

• Adult Cat
  • Ziggy (9 yrs old)
help on moving day, cat advise please
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 09:53:25 AM »
I know this is a topic that comes up regularly, but I just wondered if any of you have tips to make moving day less stressful for my cat Ziggy.

We (hopefully) move this thurs, and I thought i'd nab him and take him to my mums house for the day.
I dont want to cause him stress, and I think if I put him in a catttery he would be, if we move "around" him and lock him in rooms (old and new house) that would be stressful, and for me too, checking doors are not left open so he gets out.

So If I take him to my mums for part of the day ??  I would have to lock him in her house, he would be there on his own ,as parents are helping us move.

I think it will be stressful to a degree anyway for him whatever I do. *sigh*

I will keep him in,for a few days, there is no cat flap in new house, so have to get that sorted anyway as he is used to a cat flap. We are moving to house in same street, but further round, I dont know if he will recognise any of it as his teritory as new house is quite away round the road.

I just dont want him to get lost on move day and when we move in.
He has lived at this house all his life (he is 6)

Thanks Lynne X

Link to CatChat