Author Topic: Can anyone remember .....  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Can anyone remember .....
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 18:52:49 PM »
Just thought I'd update you on Mylo .... His mummy has made a wonderful website with some good information on eye removal and some wonderful pics of dear little Mylo.   http://mylo.moonfruit.com/
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 19:40:25 PM »
Susanne,

I have copied your post and cross posted in the hovel for pinksparkle to read.

Sam

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 17:07:59 PM »
Thanks Sam, poor little thing. The more I hear about breeders the more unhappy I get but of course its probably only the bad ones we hear about.

I think that's true.  There are a lot more bad breeders out there than good because we have all the backyard breeders - some register cats and some don't - as well as those who probably consider themselves "proper" breeders but just aren't caring enough and are in it for money rather than for the love of the cats (and you rarely make money out of breeding unless you're cutting corners).  I'm a bit puzzled about the reference to vets fees though - if the kitten had the operation 2 weeks after they got him it should have been covered by insurance - most breeders sell kittens with 6 weeks free insurance (a recommendation by the gccf) which would have covered the costs.  Of course the kitten may not have had insurance but that's the kind of thing people need to look out for when choosing a breeder.  Yes there are lots of bad breeders about but if prospective owners did more research before choosing one fewer of them would stay in "business".

Not all conditions are apparent at birth and before a kitten leaves a breeder for a new home but if a breeder ignores someone like this and doesn't want anything to do with the problem then the owners should pursue it with the GCCF (assuming that's who he's registered with) and/or a cat club.  Breeders have been suspended from the GCCF for selling sick kittens so if it's something that would have been picked up on during a routine vet visit then the breeder would clearly be at fault.  If it's not something that the breeder could have known about then they are not at fault for selling the kitten but should still be concerned and involved once the problem became apparent.  If a kitten develops a problem within weeks of going to a new home I'd expect the breeder to offer to take the kitten back and sort out the problem themselves.  If the new owner doesn't want to return the kitten then they would be responsible for any treatment but as I said earlier - that should be covered by insurance.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 17:09:30 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 13:02:49 PM »
Thanks Sam, poor little thing. The more I hear about breeders the more unhappy I get but of course its probably only the bad ones we hear about.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 07:56:06 AM »
The poor baby - I would be making a complaint about the breeder if it is something he was born with, as others could be affected.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 18:21:06 PM »
Gill as you can't open the link here's the post from Pinksparkle the little kittens mum:

Sorry I never posted back, but had a lot of problems with the kitten about a week after having him. He suddenly developed a problem with one of his eyes and the long and short of it (and just a few pennys later) over the space of a week he developed severe glaucoma and a corneal ulcer and had his eye removed. He then developed an abscess in the socket which he had drained and is still on antibiotics! He has been through so much at such a young age but bless him is still loving and now bouncing off the walls and you wouldnt know he had only one eye.

But have to say I wouldnt want anyone to go through what either me or him have been through since christmas. It has been terrible. The histopathology report on his removed eye showed that it was caused by a sharp penetration to the eye which left no mark on the surface of the eye, which they thought could have been a cats claw. It had introduced an infection which resulted in an immune response which completely damaged the eye. I have no other pets and he hadnt been out of his safe room when all this happened so it is most likely it occurred when he was at the breeders and was playing with his litter mates (not that the breeder would have known at the time). His eyes looked perfect when we collected him and of course there is no concrete proof as to exactly what caused it or when. Im so disappointed that the breeder hasnt contacted me since I told her that he was having to have an operation (2 weeks after taking him home) - it just shows that she doesnt care at all. I have a feeling that she would blame it on me anyway if I contacted her now, especially after suggesting to me before that - did we drop him or open the door on him and that we should request a brain scan as it looked like a knock to the head. I suppose for all the breeder knows we could have done something to him as she doesnt really know us, but I got the feeling she was worried we were going to ask her for our money back (he is a pedigree so we paid a lot) and the £700 in vets costs.
So thats my story! - when i read my first post i remember how excited I was and feel so embarrassed and sad about if only I had known. Love him more than anything but do you know what I mean?

and the latest update posted today:

Thank you! Well, been back to the opthalmologist as is good eye seemed poorly and turns out he has mild conjunctivitis..But the worse thing is that he could see a cataract in there. So now have to go back in a years time to see if it has progressed and will need operating Sad ! Investigations are still continuing with his removed eye so not sure if the conditions are related, but at the moment the cataract isnt affecting his eyesight. The opthalmologist told me that at his age at 4months, he would have been born with it. Am hoping the vet will put it in writing for me, as now I really think I should contact the breeder. What would you do?

Poor little mite has been through so much and he looks adorable there is a such a lovely picture of him :)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 18:21:48 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 23:39:04 PM »
Glad you found it, thought II would remember a british blue.

The link doent work for me cos itsays u need sign in

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 20:18:16 PM »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 19:17:59 PM »
ummmm I wondering if it might have been on thehovel  :evillaugh: will investigate on there.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 19:08:49 PM »
Sorry dont remember that one although I think Dawn had a cat with bad eye but dont remember a british blue......was it in Purrs time or CC do you think?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Can anyone remember .....
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 19:04:07 PM »
.... the title of the thread about the young cat/kitten who hd to have it's eye removed after it becaome infected and ulcerated from a possible puncture prior to being homed from the breeder.

I was wondering how the little fella was ... I thnk it was a british blue.

Link to CatChat