Author Topic: COMPLAINT  (Read 4143 times)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Re: COMPLAINT
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2007, 21:37:59 PM »

maybe he would like you to pick a selectiion to take to him,so he could pick one out in the comfort of his own home

That is the only thing I can think of. Very occasionally when someone housebound has wanted an older cat and the have full support in caring for one after a home visit and if we have one that we think is suitable we have taken it to the house. In every case it has been a purrfect match.

Other than that, if he cant even be bothered to come visit, does he have the time to spend with a cat at all? Sounds totally senseless to me Ela, and I agree you do a fabulous job from what I read on here  :)
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 16:52:54 PM »
Fair point, Beth. There are a variety of reasons surrounding these situations. I had a housemate who left a cat with me for months, and then her mum(who lived in the middle of nowhere) decided she wanted a cat, so the little one who was with me was taken to live with her. It got hit by a car and was killed and that was in a rural area, where traffic is extremely sporadic.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Beth (Mouse's Mum)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 15:17:21 PM »
That's just stupid, if my cat was in an RTA and they survived I wouldn't let them out again! I would thank my lucky stars that they were still with me.  Some people eh? You would think this would make them realize how dangerous it was for their animals  to go out.

You don't know what you would do until you're in that situation i guess.

It's not right to say people are stupid if you don't know the circumstances surrounding it.

I had one of my cats killed in an RTA a few months ago.  I still let his brother outside and we now have a new cat who also goes outside.

One of the shelters we visited wouldn't let us take a cat as we'd lost one to an RTA so we just went elsewhere.

However you can't really say we're stupid as you don't know any of the circumstances, where we live, how close to the road etc etc.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007, 11:41:42 AM »
mmmmm...dodgy pet shops should be illegal to buy them like that full stop !

I agree, unfortunately they get a licence from their local authority, I can't remember if it is Trading Standards or Environmental Health  (i rather think the latter) who inspect the premises, unfortunately often the inspector has no idea how to look after any pet so why they should be allowed issue a licence is beyond me.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 11:25:25 AM »
it sounds like you wouldn't want this sort of person adopting a cat anyway

10/10

maybe he would like you to pick a selectiion to take to him,so he could pick one out in the comfort of his own home

That is the only thing I can think of. Very occasionally when someone housebound has wanted an older cat and the have full support in caring for one after a home visit and if we have one that we think is suitable we have taken it to the house. In every case it has been a purrfect match.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 11:24:49 AM »
mmmmm...dodgy pet shops should be illegal to buy them like that full stop !
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline bagpussarah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 11:12:43 AM »
To be honest Ela,
it sounds like you wouldn't want this sort of person adopting a cat anyway. I have been racking my brains but can't think how else a prospective owner could view the cats, maybe he would like you to pick a selectiion to take to him,so he could pick one out in the comfort of his own home. :Crazy:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 09:32:59 AM »
The owner of a pet shop a few miles from here was actually breeding pups and kittens herself and when people gave the shop kittens to sell the owners were told that they would go to good homes only as the homes were all vetted by CP and that many of the people came from our list of people waiting for kittens. Of course this is not true we don't have a waiting list. I wrote to the shop owner and advised them that if I hear once more about their lies I will put the matter in the hands of the CP legal team.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 23:30:44 PM »
I have to admit that i was tempted Ela ..thing is that it wont get me anywhere and there is a pet shop down the road that sells kitten..sure she probably ended up going there and getting them ..

Although saying that one bit of good news is that the current pet shop owners have 'had enough' perhaps that is something to do with my constant complaints to the council LOL hoping that it will either stop being a pet shop or they next owners wont sell live animals ..I just think it is cruel and encourages people to breed their animals/buy from pet shops !

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 23:26:13 PM »
asked me if Yumi was avaliable for breeding as she would love kittens for her little girl

Perhaps you should have replied,  would your little girl like to see the vet putting  cats and kittens PTS because there are too many.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 22:36:29 PM »
What a stupid complaint i know that if i was doing a homecheck for cat around here i would recomend an indoor only as the idiots decided that the 30mph speed limit is an excuse to do at least 40-50mph ...and I know how that most of them probably see cats as a fashion accesories or toys , I know that a few months ago a lady in the vets waiting room asked me if Yumi was avaliable for breeding as she would love kittens for her little girl ( only 2 years old !!) and Yumi would be a perfect mother grrrr i did politley say no but felt like ripping her head off !

Anyway off my soap box now sorry a little fed up today !

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 22:27:13 PM »
The man has written to HQ who passed the letter on to our RDM who sent a copy to me. Even before I replied she said not to worry we will just send out a letter saying that each branch decides who and where they home. They also allow us to advertise as we wish and surprisingly would not approve of us taking out sample cats/kittens to his home for him to chose one.
I am just anoyed at the pettiness of it alll and all because he wanted a kitten (the four on the site had just been chosen so he would not have had one anyway, then again he obviously had not seen them as he wrote to HQ our site did not feature kittens) and he lives in flat in an area where I would not home a dying flea.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 20:01:30 PM »
Is this the kind of complaint you can ignore Ela, or do you have to answer to someone over it? I dont see he has a valid reason for complaining to be honest, the cats welfare has to be first, and as for how to view the cats, how does he expect it to happen??? We dont feature kittens on our site unless they are 3 months + and have been with us for a while, as kittens dont' tend to stay with us long enough!! When I fostered for CP, they made the decision not to put them on the rehoming page due to the fact they got homed so quickly, so maybe you could use that?
As for some cats saying 'only cat', there are sometimes valid reasons for that, and I would have thought that most rescues will only put that on if either the owners said they dont get on or it is proved while they are in the rescue's care - I know all the fosters I have had that have been rehomed as only cats have been because it has been proved while here.
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 15:27:52 PM »
That's just stupid, if my cat was in an RTA and they survived I wouldn't let them out again! I would thank my lucky stars that they were still with me.  Some people eh? You would think this would make them realize how dangerous it was for their animals  to go out.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 15:08:38 PM »
We have problem areas and sometimes people refuse to home a cat in a certain area outright, which is a shame as some of the people that live in these areas loved and pamper their animals to bits and as long as there is not a problem with animal abuse in the area I, at least, will do a home visit.

I agree there are many wonderful people living in areas that are not a safe environment, however to us no matter how nice a person is  unless they want an indoor cat we will not home. A couple of weeks ago a lady wanted a cat lived on a very busy roads and had foxes living in the garden next door. She had 2 cats one had been run over and the other killed by a fox. Yes she still wanted a cat to go outside. I expect she will get one for somewhere but not from us. I think I relayed another story on CC (most certainly it is on our site on the indoor/outdoor debate page) about a cat who  lived in an area which is notorious for RTA's  and was involved in an RTA s I said  'I would advise you to keep your cat in we only home indoor cats in your area'. A few months later I received another phone call about the same thing and recognized the voice  and said 'I bet you will keep your cat in now'. she replied 'oh! it's alright it was the other leg this time.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 14:55:16 PM »
There are certainly some idiots out there Ela, can't believe the bit about viewing the cats!! I think you do a fanatastic job.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 14:53:41 PM »
[One thing I don't get is when rescue sites say the cat should be rehomed as the only cat, I think this makes people not take that particular cat into consideration as many of us cat lovers have already got more than 1

I know we do put on some cat info to be only cat and that is because they have come into care because it has been proven they they don't get on with other cats or some spray when in a home with other cats, so I personally fully understand why a rescue would say  'to be homed as only cat'.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 14:56:17 PM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 14:49:10 PM »
Ela, where is this article? I'd be interested to read this mans point of view, especially the part about viewing methods!

It is not an article but a letter of complaint.

The writers words are:-  The only way to view animals  on offer are to visit the shelter or look on the website. The website never seems to feature kittens.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 07:02:32 AM by Ela »

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 13:48:43 PM »
I totally agree with what you are saying Ela, you have to make sure the cat will be safe and well looked after. One thing I don't get is when rescue sites say the cat should be rehomed as the only cat, I think this makes people not take that particular cat into consideration as many of us cat lovers have already got more than 1 cat at home. I feel maybe they should be given a trial to see how they get on with the other cats the person has already got.  I just think this lets some of the Kitty's down where they could be in a loving multi cat home instead of being stuck in a rescue. But if there are reasons for the cat not being able to live with other cats, eg easily bullied or constantly fighting,  I think that its fair enough to say they have to be rehomed as an only cat.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 12:59:11 PM »
Ela, where is this article? I'd be interested to read this mans point of view, especially the part about viewing methods! :rofl:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 12:44:06 PM »
People will always complain.
With us the fosterer has the last say about rehoming - after all it is them that has been looking after/bonding with the cat in question and it would be cruel to override their decision.
Having lost a cat to RTA last year on a very quiet road at the front of my house (and a 60ft front garden leading up to it) and seeing so many other cats with great road sense its no always easy to make the right decision.
We have problem areas and sometimes people refuse to home a cat in a certain area outright, which is a shame as some of the people that live in these areas loved and pamper their animals to bits and as long as there is not a problem with animal abuse in the area I, at least, will do a home visit.

If someone is too lazy to go visit a cat then will they be able to summon up enough energy to look after the thing - the only exceptions being older/infirm and then they need to have a support network to be able to cope with taking the cat for treatment when required.

The harderst part of cat rescue is the people - from the down right mean, indifferent, naive or just plain stupid!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
COMPLAINT
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 12:35:24 PM »
Recently we have been accused of not allowing enough cats out for adoption and only homing indoor cats to areas we consider unsafe. When I say we I include the fosterers in this as they have the final say not me. I would never push them into homing where they were not happy.  I know of no fosterer who feels that is it in a cat’s interest to have a few months as indoor/outdoor than stay a little longer in a pen and find a home in a safer environment. I do know some people think this but believe me if you were a fosterer, took in a cat nursed it for weeks sometimes months back to health and strength, or a mother cat had kittens, you watched their little eyes open and their first steps, there is no way you would home to an area you thought or knew the ‘little one’ stood not much of a chance. I appreciate that in any environment accidents happen, however we like to give the ‘little ones’ the best possible chance of a purrfect life. A few years ago before I was Co-ordinator there was a fosterer who would home to areas all other fosterers considered not suitable for outdoor cat, so many of those ‘little ones’ did not survive very long or suffered horrendous injuries. The pens nowadays are not small cages but cost over £3000 each have heated beds radios, toys & outdoor runs.  Because we take in all types of cats and not just young healthy cats, many we take in have conditions that means it is in their interest to have an indoor home.  We consider no cat unhomeble and do not hang on to them, in fact during the last 4 years we have homed and helped more cats than ever.  The writer also complained that the only way to view our cats on offer was to visit the shelter or look on the web. Apart from fosterers taking all the cats to his house to view how else does he think they can be seen?
Another complaint was that we never seem to feature kittens, at the time he wrote the letter there was a picture of 4 kittens on the site with their mum, so where he got that from I do not know. As nowadays most things are possible if you try hard enough, if anyone knows of a way we can take pictures of kittens we do not have and put them on our site,  please let me know.

Link to CatChat