Cat Health & Behaviour > Health & Behaviour General

Long-term Metacam for arthritis

<< < (13/13)

Frances:
As some of you may know James went into rescue after being hit by a car which has resulted in some long-term problems on his right hand side – he has a wonky eye and has lost quite a few teeth.  While he was sedated for a dental in 2012 I had his right front leg and shoulder x-rayed which showed early signs of arthritis.  His then vet was also trained in homeopathy and he has been taking Symphytum and Rhus tox for the last five years.  This has appeared to work as he stopped “worrying” at the leg and where he had lost hair it grew back.  More recently I have been giving him Yumove although it’s been harder to tell whether or not this has been effective.

He went for another dental at the end of last month and as it had been five years since his last x-rays I had another set done.  This time there is considerable arthritic damage to his “elbow” joint which I believe is causing him pain.  This is borne out by his behaviour immediately after his dental when, full of Metacam and Betamox, he was livelier and more energetic than he’s been for a while.

I’m okay with the idea of him taking Metacam on a long-term basis – his bloods are spot on normal for kidney function and I don’t want him to be in pain.  My vet has suggested I use it on an as required basis and adjust the dosage according to how he reacts while taking it.

I know some of you have cats on long-term Metacam – in your experience what is the best way to approach this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version