Author Topic: Gunky eye  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Gunky eye
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 23:07:38 PM »
pleased the eye is improving  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 22:02:24 PM »
Thanks - me too.  It seems to be a wee bit better each day which is encouraging.  we're back at the vet tomorrow for a check.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 07:48:10 AM »
Glad the eye is better, hope it continues to improve quickly.

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 22:11:00 PM »
Millys mum - that's vile, but really funny!  :naughty: It's Fucithalmic we've got which is fine with Sam's suggestion - doesn't seem to have quite such adhesive properties as bogies!
Sam - thanks for the tip for using fingers instead of the tube.  Why is it that simple solutions like that are always furthest from my mind?  Probably something to do with being blonde...
Anyway, Silvie's eye is looking somewhat better today.  Much more thanks to the antibiotic jag she got yesterday rather than my efforts at getting the opintment in, I should think!  I think this morning's went mainly on her face instead of in her eye - I'm rubbish!
Oh well, guess I just need to keep trying...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 19:35:40 PM »
Sam that would depend on what you have been given, aureomycin would stick on your finger and never come off, its like bogeys in a tube lol

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 19:53:49 PM »
Hope she feels better soon. I know that when we've used them, the drops clear the eyes up really quickly.  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 19:28:47 PM »
aww poor thing, hopefully her eye will feel better soon x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 19:26:23 PM »
Ahhh poor baby ... I have always found the best place to administer eye ointment is in the bathroom where I can close the door.  There is nothing worse than chasing a kitty round the house if you don't manage to get it right first time.

When Foxy needed eye ointment I found the easiest way to get it into her eye was to:

1.  Thoroughly wash your hands.

2.  Squeeze the ointment onto your middle finger.

3.  transfer from your finger directly into the eye - like you are fitting a contact lense (if that makes sense) .... this is less scary for the patient and also if they are wriggly there is less danger of sticking the tube in her eye  ;)

Good luck  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 18:44:19 PM »
Thanks guys.
As she's had it for a couple of days and all my wishing hadn't made it go away, we went to the vets this morning - he had a look at her 3rd eyelids which were awfy red - she has an infection.  Got an antibiotic jag and some ointment (ugh!)  I hate having to put stuff in her eyes!
I've also now bought some cotton pads so I can give it a wee wash later on.
I'm not going to be her best friend tonight after I've wiped and ointmented her eyes! :-:  Needs must though, poor wee Silvie...

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 10:17:24 AM »
Polly has blocked tear ducts as a result of having cat flu before she came to me. I just wipe her eyes with a tissue. There are other causes, such as chlamydia, though flu related problems seem to be the most likely. If this is the case, it may be a permanent condition. Talk to your vet though.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 07:10:15 AM »
a couple of my cats have had that and as others have said I've jut wiped with damp cotton wool, sometimes thinking it may be conjunctivitis starting but thankfully it's usually gone after a day, I think only once needed treatment.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 22:52:49 PM »
Watery, not gunky? OK, less worrying. One of my lot has watery eyes from time to time - she hates having her eye wiped too but will let me if i'm persistent!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 20:26:29 PM »
I'm trying just wiping the eye lightly with a dry tissue at the moment and she's not even having that!  Not easy with just one pair of hands.
It's watery rather than gunky I guess, until it dries in.  Sometimes it looks bteter than others and I think its gone, but then its all manky again.  Fairly sure its just one eye though.  Looks kind of like she had when she had the flu last year when the vet thought it was infected which is slightly worrying, but hopefully at least easy to treat.  She might be just a wee bit subdued - hard to tell though, when its cold and dark 24/7 I'm subdued so can't blame her!
Will see if she'll have the warm water thing later on and if its not cleared in the morning then off to the vets.
She's 6 by the way.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 19:01:08 PM »
How old is Silvie? Gunky eyes could be conjuntivitis. I'd seriously consider popping her to the vets for a check up.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline firstforpets01

• Kitten
    • First for Pets
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 14:12:47 PM »
I agree, try warm water with a cotton pad, if it gets worse or doesnt go away phone the vet and ask for some advice, although im sure you know that already.

I believe it is pretty common for older cats to have this problem without it being too serious.

Hope this helps,

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 00:20:27 AM »
Just plain warm water -
Have you got any cotton pads rather then cotton wool ?
Sometimes the fibers of the cotton wool can get stuck in their eyes.

If it hasn't cleared up in a couple of days I would take her for a check up
xx

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
Gunky eye
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 20:54:42 PM »
Hello
Silvie seems to have gunky eyes, although thankfully not seriously.  One is a bit gunkier than the other. No idea what might be causing it.  Just noticed it this morning.  :-:
Do you guys bathe gunky eyes or leave well alone?  If you do bathe, what with?
Thanks

Link to CatChat