Author Topic: My Mango is overweight!  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: My Mango is overweight!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 08:17:09 AM »
The hard part with dieting indoor only cats is making sure they get enough exercise though, you can monitor the feeding, but like humans, you need to increase the exercise levels too. I would increase the wet, decrease the dry and change the dry to a premium food.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 21:02:12 PM »
Yes I suppose thats true- (trying to type with a grooming glove on my hand!)

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 19:39:51 PM »
It is also easier to diet your cat if it is an indoor cat. Chances are if it is not getting enough food at home it will simply free-load off other households. Indoors you get to control their access to food and regulate their intake.

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 13:40:27 PM »
If you improve the quality of biscuit she must eat less as the better foods are higher in calories  ;D

I dont free feed mine as they are porky as it is let alone if they could scoff as they wanted. Set meal times are not practical for everyone but works if you can do it.

The other thing is exercise, da bird and ping ping balls are good. Maybe you could play chase with her dry food, throw it up the stairs for her to catch etc.

The dry foods i would recommend are James Wellbeloved, Nutro, Orijen & Eagle Pack.

Mango eats everything put down in front of her-but prefers the wet stuff. Am going to buy a puzzle feeder for them so they have to work for their food :evillaugh:

Chutney eats when its on HER terms. If i give her dinner to her she wont eat it. But if I leave it down for her to eat at her leisure then Mango has it. If only she could tell me when she wants it! Mango also does not "play" as well as Chutney. Rarely jumps for Da bird or chases the laser, she just watches Chutney playing. She likes Ping Pong balls but they only last five mins before going under the sofa   :innocent:

As the dry is put out for longer (eg when we are at work) then it has to be quite low fat. The wet is only given in the morning and when we get back from work. Should I leave a decent dry food down whilst we are at work (eg JWB etc) then give a cheaper wet food in the evening and not too much of it?

Argh!! toooo confusing!

Add Glitter to Pictures

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 13:34:15 PM »
If you improve the quality of biscuit she must eat less as the better foods are higher in calories  ;D

I dont free feed mine as they are porky as it is let alone if they could scoff as they wanted. Set meal times are not practical for everyone but works if you can do it.

The other thing is exercise, da bird and ping ping balls are good. Maybe you could play chase with her dry food, throw it up the stairs for her to catch etc.

The dry foods i would recommend are James Wellbeloved, Nutro, Orijen & Eagle Pack.

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 13:20:15 PM »
I think it was more of a precaution from the vets-watch it now while they are young as it could give problems later. I will look at changing the biscuits me thinks  :shy:

Add Glitter to Pictures

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 13:18:02 PM »
Our 'Trude is 5kg  :-[ and shes lost weight  :(

Little man is 4.9kg but seems heavier, I think cause he is more muscley. I think Trudy is down in weight though as we have been trying to limit the portions (and stop both of them trying to eat Cheese's food) she seems to look slimmer anyway :)

Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 13:13:22 PM »
The problem with go-cat & whiskas dry is that they are mostly cereal which cats aren't designed to eat and the carbs turn to fat. Pets at Home own dry food is something like 26% meat or fish compared to 4% meat in the others Its on special at the moment - 2 x 4kg bags for £20.00 (they do a light one as well  ;D ) - although its more expensive, if you gave them that and say Tesco own brand wet. It would probably work out about the same but would be a better quality diet.

Having said that, I am struggling with Kylies weight - her last weigh-in she was down to 6.85kg from 7.01kg! - she has been on Hill's obesity for 2 months and doesn't seem to be losing any more weight yet - I have caught her eating willows food a few times so now its up on cabinet where she can't get to it but little willow can  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 13:19:49 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
My Mango is overweight!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 13:02:05 PM »
Well....

after the visit to the vets on saturday for their boosters, I had the girls weighed. I had an inkling that Mango would be a bit tubby, but I now have it confirmed.

Chutney- 3.8 Kilos

Mango- 5 Kilos.

I am currently feeding them on felix and Go-Cat indoor. The vet suggested hardly any wet food (but I know I read somewhere that its the dry that keeps the weight on as its sprayed with oil to make it palatable??)

Any suggestions? mango has always been the lazier of the two, and LOOOOOOVES her food. She usually trires to nick Chutney's food as well, but we watch out for that.

I have a fat cat!!!!  :'(

Add Glitter to Pictures

Link to CatChat