Author Topic: Ideas with feeding please  (Read 978 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Ideas with feeding please
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 19:13:16 PM »
Could you feed her 2 small meals before you go? and again when you get in. Wouldnt be fair to shut her out for the day, its best for them to come and go as they wish.
If she was really hungry she would eat more than a third in one go

For greedy guts you could try putting his food into treat balls to make him work for it and take some time up, as at 8 months he should be zooming around still!

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
  • My beautiful girl is my world :)
  • Slave to: Millie Rose
Re: Ideas with feeding please
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 17:42:47 PM »
Hi there, my advice would be to feed your cat on raised surface, when we bought a puppy my cat was 5 years old, she has always eaten on the kitchen floor, but as the puppy would eat the cat food and then end up being sick (as its got too much protein in for dog), we had to move the cat food, however if you kitten can jump up there its a bit of problem, what about feeding your cat outside, so they can come and go as they please and keep the kitten indoors for the day, then when you get home from work let the cat in and the kitten out? if not that you might have to feed them both a low fat diet or buy expensive bowls which open at a certain time but even then you cant be sure that your cat has eaten it all! Hope this gave you some ideas or inspiration to some more ideas!!! xx xx
Kymberley and Millie xxxx
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
Ideas with feeding please
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 09:50:44 AM »
I have a female cat who is about 6, she loves exploring the outside world, and I think is quite active.  She has 2 felix poches a day - am & pm, and she eats a few Hills dried food in the evening.  I have been concerned about her weight in the past and I have taken her to the vets - she weighed 3.22kg (2 months ago) a good weight according to my vet.  Over the past 2 months I have changed where I feed her to the hall of all places and she much preferes her food their, and now does eat the vast majority of her food.  When she comes in I put down her food bowl and when she has finished I pick it up - otherwise my kitten would eat it all. She does not eat her food in one go but usually 3 sittings over a space of 2-3 hours. She has got her appetite back.

The upset in this equation is i have a 8 month old male neutered kitten, (half Ragdoll) who is massive.  He is bigger than my cat already.  He would eat all day long, has always loved his food, which I give him Hills kitten dried food at the mo.  I do not leave the dried food down all the time, its picked up during the day.  He is much lazier than my cat.

Very shortly I start a full time job, hence I will not be in during the day to put down/pick up my cats food.  This morning I left for work with my cat eaten a good third of her pouch, but because I am not in to put down/pick up food I have left it down and so my kitten was tucking into it and looked like he was going to finish off the food.  So he has had 2 breakfast's and my cat a bit.

My kitten is getting so fat which I do not want, I know he is half ragdoll and will be large but his tum is very large.

How do I mange a cat who likes to take her time eating, she enjoys her wet food much more than dried, and who has had periods in her life of hardly eating.  Coupled with a kitten who is lazy, obsesed with food, fat, will eat anything in fact he has eaten the bird seed I put out he's that much of a gluton.

Idealy I want 2 cats the right weight who are happy and heathy, idealy eating the same food.

Any ideas please....

Link to CatChat