Author Topic: Looking for Mouse toy pattern for cats.  (Read 18000 times)

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
Re: Looking for Mouse toy pattern for cats.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 14:17:20 PM »
Hi we have volunteers that knit toy mice for us and we fill it with catnip (which proves very popular, my cats have left theirs very soggy!). I've copied the pattern below.

CATNIP MOUSE KNITTING PATTERN
MATERIALS:    Use double knit or similar yarn, anything thinner will be torn apart too easily, much thicker will be too stiff.  Two different colours, one for main body and contrast for nose.   Nice bright colours, please – the cats don’t care, but the customers do!  Size 2.75mm/10 needles (use 3mm/11 needles if end result is too small).  Standard abbreviations used.   
TENSION:  Ideal length approx. 5”/12.5cm, width approx. 5”/12.5cm at widest point.  Stitches should be fairly tightly worked.  Work in stocking stitch throughout.
BODY:  Cast on 9 sts. for tail end of body.
Row 1:  Increase in every stitch knitwise.  (18)
Row 2:   Purl.
Row 3:  (k1, incr. in next stitch) to end. (27)
Work 3 rows.
Row 7:  (k2, incr. in next stitch) to end. (36)
Work 11 rows.   
Row 19: (k2, k2tog.) to end. (27)
Work 9 rows.
Row 29:  (k1, k2tog.) to end.  (18)
Work 7 rows.
Row 37: (k2tog.) to end.  (9)
Work 3 rows.
Leave approx. 12“ of main colour for sewing
Last row – using contrast colour for nose – knit. 
Draw yarn through loosely, leaving approx.  12-15 inches for eye embroidery.

EARS:   (make 2 in either main or contrast colour)
Cast on 18 stitches, work 2 rows.
Last row:  (k2tog.) to end (9).
Draw yarn through loosely, leaving approx. 5-6 inches for sewing.
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline perrywalsh14

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Ginger
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 16:01:17 PM »
you can make by your self that by joining some different small toys and colour them make it like mouse its done .....!!!  ;-)

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 13:28:19 PM »
Thank you so very much for that JaneyK I have found some very easy to follow patterns.  I have managed to get several patterns for the mouse.  All toys are tested on my own animals first time around for any defects that there maybe so it maybe adapted to last longer.  So yes they get the first toy as have not knitted for over 20 years, lol.  Then any subsequent ones are for the rescue.  Ah well the baby whale has stood up to my 7 cats putting it through the mill and that was the first thing I have knitted in 20 years.  All mice and other toys will have sewn eyes rather than safety eyes.

It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:35:03 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs Ellen.

What a lovely thing to do  :)

I've just googled mouse toy pattern and it seems that you can download free patterns, would that help?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
Looking for Mouse toy pattern for cats.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 12:10:56 PM »
Hi

I have just started knitting and crocheting toys and blankets for both dogs and cats for a small local rescue (one person run).  The only thing that I seem to be missing is a pattern for toy mice for the cats.  I do not expect it for nothing and would be willing to pay for it.  Also I would be grateful of any spare wool or toy stuffing that people are able to donate.  If you can help me in any way I will be eternally grateful as I know the animals that go through this rescue will also be.

If you are also able to help with making toys and blankets we would also be grateful of any donations you wish to make.  All money made from these toys goes to the rescue to pay for food, veterinary cost and transportation to new and loving homes within the UK.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Link to CatChat