Author Topic: Didnt take long - i have a newbie.  (Read 4600 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Didnt take long - i have a newbie.
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 08:18:13 AM »
Aww, bless her. I can't find the piece of paper I was writing on while talking to the breed rescue, cos i think they mentioned a type of food they have had success with. If you go on CC, there are some telephone numbers of breed rescues though, that is where I got mine from, and they are very nice and helpful. i am unsure why they would withhold worming, in case that is contributing to it, but I am glad it doesn't seem like she is pregnant.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 21:01:46 PM »
Lucky girl - her own box to play with!
Marmite does the same twitchy back thing before running away that my milly does. I always hold my scalp when she does that  :scared:

Good luck for the poops, could it be hormonal?

Offline woowoo

• Senior Cat
    • Four paws pet rescue Cumbria South
  • Slave to: Basil,Fred,Molly,Trevor,Pepe,Mabel, Odin(RIP) and the four dogs.
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 20:48:07 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv: SHE IS GORGEOUS! LOVE MARMITE!

Offline FreeToGoodHome Helper

• Adult Cat
    • Helping Free To Good Home pets find responsible homes. x
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 20:31:00 PM »
hiya,

She's hit and miss really not completely sorted (which is annoying!  :sick:) and is still having vet treatment. The vet is withholding her spay/worming and vaccs and doing nothing else but getting her tum sorted at the mo. Pro-kaolin and Royal Canin Sensible is the order of the day at the moment (with some Applaws thrown in for good measure)
And it looks like shes not pregnant after all.  :yayyy: although we have to go back next week to confirm.

Here are updated vids.  :)

Jodie x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 19:20:41 PM »
Hows Marmite doing? Is her bum better? :wish:

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2008, 14:56:25 PM »
Awww what an adorable picture of her all cuddled up!!!  :Luv:

She is seriously growing on me, although i still maintain she's like a little ET.... amaaaazing!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 13:46:51 PM »
I used to not like them but now think they are so sweet!  I'd love to know if she licks her skin as much as a furry cat and if they can overlick so to speak and get sore skin?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2008, 15:04:42 PM »
We had that prob with the Sphynx and Devon Rex we took in, according to both breed associations, it is a common issue, we had them on RC Sensitivity for a few days for them to be normal, and they could then eat some normal food. If you go to Vet UK(there are about 4 charities on here who have a link to it, if you use one of them, the charity gets 5% commission), it is cheaper than the vets (or it was when I bought it, our vet had just put the price up, but VetUK hadn't, so it was £2ish a box cheaper, and we bought 6 so it was free p & p).
Please spay your cat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2008, 13:12:01 PM »
thank you Desley.

She definitely needs a vet visit. She's been loose since she has arrived but has been 'going' lots, already 4-5 times this morning.  :doh: She's no longer my friend as i keep having to wipe her or it gets all over  :sick:
Jodie x

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 11:13:18 AM »
Good luck on Tues.
Please spay your cat

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2008, 23:43:23 PM »
What gorgeous eyes!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2008, 20:21:06 PM »
Bless her, she really looks like she cant believe her luck! Nice tat too  ;)
Good luck for the vets

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 20:10:26 PM »
I'm taking her on Tues to my vet (she was seen by my friends) and i will go ahead with the spay even if pregnant i think - she's not very far if at all. I dont want her having to raise anymore babies, her teats have rough circles around them - from tiny mouths, and so i dont think its been long ago she had a litter. I was told she was 3 years old.
She's done with breeding, enough is enough now. She could very well have had many litters, we're just not sure....

She's not really feeding at the moment and has loose bowels too  :sick:

She's a lovely natured - if not a bit funny looking  :innocent: - little girl who loves her cuddles.  :Luv2:

Jodie x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 19:44:33 PM »
Aww bless her, im not a bald fan but she looks like she has a wonderful character!

Im with Desley, if your vet cant tell if shes pregnant then you could still spay, the next litter may not go as smoothly. How old is she? Has she been having 2 litters a year?  :(

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 07:03:58 AM »
She's very sweet, love her ears.

Offline hels

• Adult Cat
  • george tink jap connie riley morgan josh perkins
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 23:33:09 PM »
i have a sphynx cat, Connie and you really need to do your reading on them (if you've not done so already)! Desley is right to extent about the bathing but it really comes down to the cat and its skin. i dont use baby wipes on connie as they make her skin go red and seem to irritate her and it got to extent that she'd run off when she heard the baby wipe packet. for connie it's a bath every week with johnson's baby wash, it's essential you dont use anything scented on their skin. i use a flannel to clean her and before putting her in the bath, i put ear drops in her ears so they can work whilst she's in there. i usually have to wash her twice cos of the dirt. then i clean her ears with cotton wool, i do this a further 2-3 times a week.

sphynxs eyes are natually dirty because they dont have eyelashes to protect them, i clean connie's daily.

sphynxs skin can feel quite oily at times and thats because of the lack of fur to absorb it. this is turn leads to digestive problems from all the oil/grease they ingest. to get clear it up i use prokalin from the vets and sensitivity control food.

Sphynxs can be pretty non stop and when i got connie i wasnt expecting this overactive cat who is quite happy to sit and meow to herself for an hour. but she is very affectionate and craves human and feline attention. her favourite thing to do is get in the bed and then lick my arms.

also with regards to heat, this time of the year its not so bad cos the weather is ok but in the winter you'll need to get some big fleecy blanket she can get completely under. if you consider a cat's body temp is higher than ours then sphynxs feel the cold even more. connie also has a heat pad. but sometimes in the winter she just refuses point blank to get out of bed all day

just do lots of reading online, im part of a sphynx group on livejournal and on yahoo groups too where you can get lots of advice etc.

connie and her pal Jap and between them is connie's toy mouse which she plays fetch with, she'll even carry her mouse around meowing with it in her mouth until she find her and play with her
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 23:37:05 PM by hels »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 23:10:12 PM »
I would recommend getting her in to be spayed regardless, to be on the safe side. We recently had a Sphynx in, and I spoke to a lovely lady at the Sphynx Association who said it is a myth they need weekly bathing, it can actually cause skin issues, and she recommended baby wipes - there is a link to their site on CC, and you can get their phone number from there, if you want any more advice, I can't find the piece of paper. She could be a black Smoke. I have met one in the person, and afraid I am not swayed into liking them anymore, but then I am not an Oriental fan (yet when I go to the rescue lady's house, it is her HAvana that makes the biggest fuss of me!!). Good luck with her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 21:33:28 PM »
Ahhh she is even better close up  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: ... We have another member of Purrs (Hels http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=48  ) who has a a little sphynx girl called connie ... I'm sure if you drop her a pm she will be able to give you lots of advice on how best to care Marmite and get her back to 100%.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 15:28:54 PM »
Having a sphynx is a bit like having a baby by the sounds of it then.  She is stunning, a breed I have always been fascinated by.  When I worked at the Vets we had a client who had shpynx cats and chinese crested dogs - they obviously liked the bald look.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 15:22:37 PM »
I'm not a fan of Sphynx cats, but have to say from the video footage I think she looks lovely.

Don't like Marmite, DO like this Marmite. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 15:10:58 PM »
Here are a few pics...

Marmite has 'bad' skin, its dry and oily if that makes sense - yes they do get greasy - she hasn't been bathed for a while and they do need it weekly, baby wiping - both ends  :sick: - and feet/ears cleaning - you can see in the last pic they're dirty. She is my first Sphynx but i have wanted one for SUCH a long time i'm absolutely made up. Marmite came from a breeder who let her cats roam in the house (males and females), and so there is a chance Marmite is pregnant  :-[ The vets say it is too early to tell, and what would pop out we have no idea.  :innocent: It doesnt bear thinking about what would happen to an unspayed girly like her - believe it or not this little lady was given away (thankfully to someone very nice!).  :Crazy:

Also, we were told she's a Black, but i don't think she is.... she's more Seal/brown if that makes sense... Any ideas?

Jodie x

Offline Cathryn87

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 12:39:34 PM »
Oh my!! What a lovable kitty you have there. She looks like a complete ball of fun!!! So strange looking but i think that makes her seem more special  :Luv2:

What mess by the way!? You'll put me to shame lol...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 12:40:26 PM by Cathryn87 »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 12:33:40 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: Have to say I love Marmite and I love Marmite (the brown stuff).
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 12:24:51 PM »
She is gorgeous  :Luv2: she looks like she can't believe her luck in finding such a fab home  :Luv:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 12:14:49 PM »
She is gorgeous, I am definitely a Marmite fan :Luv2:.  Is is true they are a little greasy?
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 11:38:30 AM »
Now that is one affectionate pud....she is gorgeous!  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 10:22:42 AM »
awww thanks all.  :Luv:

she's a bit of a nutter!  :shocked: she was soooo quiet there, she's almost like a different cat LOL. There was another ex breeding Sphynx there though who was bullying her i think.

She has a bath to look forward to later, she needs her nails trimming and she still smells a little funky, but she's a real sweetie.  :Luv2: (more pics will come later)

She's not totally hairless, has a fuzzy face ears and hair on her back which kind of reminds me of well, someones shaved head but she's very wrinkly.  :Crazy: :rofl:

I'm in South Yorkshire.
Jodie x

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 10:00:16 AM »
Oh my goodness, she looks like a little 4 legged alien what an amazing looking cat.... bless her little heart!

Looks well and truly at home, I remember when I brought my fred home we did it all wrong opening his carrier in a room full of people and he loved it going from person to person sharing the love and she reminds me of him, really generous with the love  :Luv:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 10:01:38 AM by kris »

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 09:56:46 AM »
What a sweetie..................and I love Marmite! ;D

Offline Kenzi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 09:54:22 AM »
She is lovely, and looks very affectionate, congratulations x
A cat is a free spirit who will come to you for affection, but only on her terms. The quicker a devoted owner understands this the faster harmony will resume.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 09:48:04 AM »
I'm now a super cat  :yayyy: :yayyy:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 09:46:49 AM »
Can't say the breed is up my street but she has certainly won me over.  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: What a gorgeous girl. Well done you and hope you have many happy years together.

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 00:48:26 AM »
Where in the uk are you?

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 00:40:43 AM »
We're not a rescue, we just try and help find a rescue placement for the cats if they need help finding new homes or if they are neutered then we can look for homes directly (we are only a link between the owners and the rescues, if that makes sense...its getting late)

Marmite didn't come via me, or anyone asking me to help with her, she was an ex breeding queen a friend took and needed a home for that had not been kept in very nice conditions.
Jodie x

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 00:31:20 AM »
Aww love her, although I hate Marmite lol

Would you be taking all of the cats reported to yourself? Are you with a rescue? I dont understand.

• Adult Cat
Didnt take long - i have a newbie.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 00:27:25 AM »
Well,
I havent had a cat for a few years as my old girl was lost in an RTA and i vowed i wouldnt have another.  :'(
However, i admit. Tonight, i have a newbie.  :shy:

This little girl is a rescue and she's absolutely gorgeous. Her name is Marmite.  :Luv2: cos you'll either love her or hate her.  :evillaugh:

She was so shy and timid and scared when i went to collect, but boy is she making up for it, she doesnt like other cats, and so as we have none she's out of that shell - big time!
She's a little nosy, snuggle monster and mugs you for attention, she is an ex breeder and was dirty, smelly and not been bathed for a while. She has a bit of a sticky eye but should clear up okay.

Well, which side of the fence do you sit with Marmite?? Excuse the mess this was 10.30pm and we'd just got back from a looooong journey.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 00:28:20 AM by FreeToGoodHome Helper »
Jodie x

Link to CatChat