Author Topic: Plant extracts and Cats  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Re: Plant extracts and Cats
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 18:52:08 PM »
Is he laying on something hard? Thats how pressure sores start

I'm just trying to think - I don't think he does. It is always carpet, soft furnishings/clothes/people. Even if he is on the carpet I usually get the dressing gown out for him which he will move on to. I've even got a towel on the dining room table for him to snooze on.

He does sit on all the wooden furniture  :scared: but doesn't spend a massive amount of time on them.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 18:45:57 PM »
Is he laying on something hard? Thats how pressure sores start

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 16:02:51 PM »
It's more the fact that it is very noticeable and wasn't there before. It is on one side and not the other and there is a patch of dry skin. It isn't anything to worry about I would just like to clear up his skin so it doesn't get rubbed raw. It definitely isn't anything like ringworm  :evillaugh: It simply looks like your bog standard dry patch. He has been snoozing very close to the mid-landing radiator lately which he's never done before. I'm leaning towards the central heating drying his skin out - my own skin has been very dry lately.

I like the sounds of the essential fatty acid so will give that ago, and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 13:21:57 PM »
I think like Helen says it is quite normal - I took Raffiki to the vets because of this problem (I had visions of Ringworm and all sorts of horrible things) and she said that it is where he sits and then "launches" himself.  She laughed and told me it is definately nothing to worry about.

TBH most of my 6 have got this baldy patch to some degree
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 23:17:53 PM »
Vet trip might be a good idea to rule out anything more serious, but an essential fatty acid supplement might help the dry skin.  I give Jaffa viacutan.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=343

Jaffa is a bit of a baldy on his back legs in the same place, but he's always had thin fur and it's just been a gradual thinning of the fur there over the years. 

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 23:04:40 PM »
Thank you for the information Gillian. It's just so hard to know what to believe when there is so much conflicting advice. There are numerous products  supposedly for cats which contain tee tree. I'm actually glad I went with my second choice of the ottodex, especially since he didn't lick or even try to lick it off  :wow: He is such a good little boy!!

If there are any suggestions on how to clear up his dry skin patch I'm all ears.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 22:27:35 PM »
Tea tree shouldnt be used on cats. Aloe is actually recommended by some holistic vets, but to be honest any cream that you put on a cat is soon going to be licked straight off again so there will be little or no benefit anyway!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 22:20:04 PM »
It's the joint on the lower leg, the bit they sit on. Like the ankle bit  :scared:

On his back right there is a thin covering of hair, but his left one is really bald. You can see it from the other side of the room. Its not normal for him. Just routing through photobucket and yup not normal.

His back left leg is all black there but where his joint its not that colour any more (I'll see if I can get a picture in the morning). There is also the unexplained dry flaky skin too  :scared:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 22:20:58 PM by Den »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 22:08:18 PM »
No idea about the plant extracts but I think it's normal to have a bald/thinly covered area around the bony part at the back of the foot, is that the same as the hock?

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Plant extracts and Cats
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 18:39:46 PM »
I noticed that Memphis has a noticeable bald patch on one of his back legs. It is around the hock area. I had a look and saw that he is missing hair and there is some flaky dry skin .. have no idea how he got it and I don't think he realises, I've not seen him licking/biting the area.

Anyhoo, I was going to put a bit of herbal skin gel which is for use on horses and pets .. it contains Marigold, Comfrey,and Aloe Vera extract as well as Rosemary and Tea Tree Oil. It is used for maintaining healthy skin, solving dry skin and promoting hair growth etc. It says use on pets but doesn't say anything about excluding cats. The only warning is to keep out of the reach of Children.

I had second thoughts after remembering Aloe isn't good for cats (which is why Memphis gets a stern talking to if he tries to munch the plant in the kitchen). I did a quick google and there are actually a number of creams labelled suitable for cats which contain Aloe Vera  :scared:

I ended up putting some Otodex cream on his little flaky patch but was wondering if the gel is something to use in the future or exclude in case he ends up licking it. I'm confused and don't want to poison him  :scared:

Link to CatChat