Author Topic: Frustrating phone call  (Read 1050 times)

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Frustrating phone call
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 10:24:16 AM »
No, you didn't.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 07:07:49 AM »
Sorry if it sounded as though I was being unsympathetic Desley. I've had entire toms sneaking through the cat flap and spraying on the washing machine  :sick: One night I locked the cat flap so that he could get in and not out, had saucepan of cold water at the ready, heard the rumpus downstairs, found him trying to get through the flap and drenched him (the weather was warm). He started doing it again. I locked the flap again, and he broke the flap getting out before being drenched :P Teach him for peeing on my washing machine.

Wouldn't have dreamed of trying to put him in a pillow case and having him carted off by a rescue! He belonged to someone (I surmised) and they love him (and his little marbles). So I have some idea how frustrated you must have felt about the guy.

I still think that a visit and a chat might be wise. Maybe you could get through to him, or discover that there's more to this.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 08:47:02 AM »
But people lie....  :(

Yours could have been the umpteenth phone call. The first would have almost certainly been to the RSPCA, because to the unwise and unknowing, that's who you call when you're stuck with an animal you don't want. The cat may even have been his own - after all, for a cat to waltz in the door and set up camp in a house that it most certainly isn't welcome in is rare. When they do, they usually get a bucket of water over them or get chased with a broom - not trapped with a pillow case. 

By the time he got to you, he will have got the phone book out, and figured that no one could take the cat unless he were prepared to keep it while a foster placement is found. That's why he asked you about other rescues - 'cos he'd run out of numbers... He'd have made up any old malarky to get you into the car.

Just my thoughts.

Jxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 08:18:54 AM »
Hippy - he already had the cat, I can't say I have been happy in teh past wehn neighbours cats have come in and sprayed in my house, but I chase them out, I dont tend to catch them and expect a rescue to take them away. Certainly wasn't an old fruitbat though.
Please spay your cat

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 09:06:10 AM »
That does sound worrying. I suppose it's good that he phoned you and didn't harm the cat, but I wonder how he trapped it in a pillow case  :scared:

My in-laws-to-be don't like cats on their garden, but they certainly don't go around putting them in pillowcases. They've got one of these sonic cat scarers, not sure how good it is, but if it doesn't harm them then it's got to be better than the things some folks do.

ren
A cat can purr its way out of anything!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:57:38 AM »
Sounds worrying. He may not have been entirely truthful with you. Perhaps he's a fanatical gardener and hates the neighbours cats getting onto his flower beds so he's nabbing them! Or he could be an old fruitbat. How did he sound? Was he confused? Angry? Could be worth paying him a visit and having a chat, maybe gently sussing the situation and explaining things to him before he nabs a cat.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Frustrating phone call
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 08:08:47 AM »
Had a phone call from a gentleman last night saying he was having issues with cats, and one had walked into his house and peed in it, so he had caught it in a pillowcase and could I go and pick it up? I explained that we can't just go and pick cats up when there is a chance they have an owner, so to ask around and see if there is an owner before we could do that. He didn't think so as the cat didn't have a collar on, so I told him that isn't an indication they are a stray. He wanted to leave his address so if it came again, could I pick it up, so I said that just seeing a cat in a house twice doesn't mean it is a stray (Ginger was found in someone elses house daily!!), and we couldnt get involved. He then asked if I could give him any other rescue's that would go and pick it up, so I told him not even the RSPCA could get involved as it could have an owner and therefore could get into trouble.  He wasn't very happy with me, and I just hope he did the right thing and released the cat, it is still on my mind now.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat