Author Topic: Bigwig Broken Pelvis, Kent, Is Looking for temporary fosterer carer for R&R  (Read 4041 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I will call them. I found 2 of the numbers today and Kylie's is in the car  :evillaugh:

We always thought clapton was chipped but he wasn't and was done here last year so no need to update.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Not too sure, on the first lot of paperwork I got through Petlog listed about 20 different 'brands' of microchips thet they register on their database.   There was a thread on here the other day about another petlog style database that were pretty poor to deal with.  If you can find the paperwork I'm sure it'll say who they're logged with.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Do I need to find out who they are registered with or will petlog sort it regardless of comapany? - I'm a bit confused  :Crazy: (What's new  :evillaugh: )

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Tut, tut, tut  :evillaugh:  If you need to change anyway it's going to cost you £7.50 so you may aswell pay the £10 for Petlog premium then you have unlimited instant changes for just £2.50 more  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I will look into that - I'm ashamed to say I moved 3 years ago and haven't updated yet  :-[  - I will make it high priority. Especially as willow got out the front today  :scared:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
What a happy ending  :)

To change an address with the chip company is £7.50 each and every time and as you've found out the change is done at their leisure  >:( When I got the boys done you could 'upgrade' to Petlog Premium for just £10 (instead of the normal £15).  This means I can change any of the details instantly online myself, I can also add holiday carer details etc etc and I have unlimited changes.  Seeing as I hope the boys are with me for at least 20 years I think I've got a bargain there  :)

See this thread for details:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=7148.0

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Very worrying that it took the chipping company 8 weeks to update an address. I can only assume they take changes on a form and they are entered on the system "as and when" - not good enough  >:(

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Blimey, what a story!! I am glad he will be safe and looked after by whoever ends up with him, and it does show the importance of microchipping. He also sounds like a very lucky little man to only have that injury after so much travelling.
Please spay your cat

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Further update on Bigwig.. Both me and Mark we abit suprised that this lady was not overjoyed at hearing that Bigwig was okay.. It turns out that Bigwig has a sister that had just been involved in a RTA and died a few days ago.. She felt the road next to her was too busy for him now, but her daughter that lives in Oxford is going to take him..

They are going to give him another few weeks of TLC and confiment before he is moved up there.. We were wondering why she had not rang Isobel straight away after we made contact with her, and it was because she was contacting her daughter to see if she could take him..

We thought she didnt want him back...!

Isobel was in too minds to keep him, and i am sure if the plan falls apart and she dosnt pick him up on Tuesday as planned then she might.. he was such a lovable, affectionate puss that seemed to be okay with other cats...

I am amazed he managed to get where he was found without being fatally injured.. he must of crossed a duel carriageway.

Bigwig is 9yrs old and dosnt look a day over 6 i would say..

The hold up in the chip details must of been caused by the post i reckon although i doubt it if the vets tried really hard to trace owner...

Just shows you the value of microchipping..

Lets hope he has a anotehr few years of love come his way...

But Bigwig deserves someone who really does appreciate him...

Originally he was from RSPCA shelter, another reason for us rescues to chip..

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
This is an amazing story but quite long. Sharon Called me this morning.

When Bigwig was handed in to our vet, he was checked for microchip. There was an address in Maidstone but no phone number. The vet wrote to the address but received no reply.

This morning Sharon said Isobel who is fostering Bigwig at the moment scanned him again and it came up with a Whitstable address!!!
Again, there was no phone number but Sharon had an address. I went to the address this morning - it was confusing as the address was "The cottage opposite 24 xxx street. There was a cottage opposite 24 so I knocked, the old lady that answered said she didn't have a cat but the lady opposite did although it had died. I went across to number 24 only to find out the house was actually called "The cottage opposite"  :Crazy: Anyway, I asked if she had lost her cat. She said yes but it was on 3rd of August 9 weeks ago. It was her cat!!!  ;D - SHE HAD PHONED THE CHIP COMPANY ON 4th AUGUST!!! but only got a letter from them last week confirming the change of address!!  :( - She said she put the letter in the recycling as she thought she would never see him again  :(
I spoke to Sharon this afternoon and the lady was collecting him in the afternoon  ;D

I asked her who her chip company are so I make sure I don't use them but she couldn't remember the name.

Anyway, the main thing is Bigwig is home after 9 weeks.

It turns out her daughter let him out on the first day they moved  >:( - To get to where he was found, he had to go along about a Mile of motorway and across a major roundabout  :scared:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
will have to start buying tickets in raffles for cars lol. I agree, a local placement sounds much more sensible for BigWig simply because of the desirability to be close to the treating vet and also the potential complications of transportation ... No worries here, possibly relief, just thought I should offer as I had the space and the will.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Sorry BC - it seems really ungrateful but this time it makes sense all round. I was worred about moving him as it was.

Don't worry, your time will come soon enough I'm sure - too many problems out there. I took a call today from a lady. An elderly ginger Tom has been camping in her friends garden for ages. Suddenly it gets cold and they are worried about him  >:( . They were quite sensible and took him to the vet for a checkup. all we could do is put him on the waiting list and hope it doesn't get too cold before there is a space  :'(

I think  embarrassed her a bit as I told her its common to get this kind of call this time of year as everyone leaves it til the last minute and expects a space. I told her we don't have a cattery as such and she said "but don't you have a fosterer he can go to?" - worryingly, she is a member of CP.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 18:44:31 PM by Mark »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
sounds like a good solution - maybe one of these days I can be of use ............... :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I was speaking to Caroline this morning and she said Isobel is able to take Bigwig now. Handy as she is local and also a VN. Also she said Bigwig is getting really upset by the dogs at the vets and Isobel only has cats. He will be cage rested in her living room away from them though.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Seeing your name on the thread set alarm bells off  :evillaugh:

Just a bit concerned about a cat with a broken pelvis in a cage being wobbled around in a car - would maybe be safer on a train? - any ideas?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Hope bigwig gets sorted, seeing his name brought a huge smile to my face as that was one of my fave characters from my all time favorite book  :Luv:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
that can be arranged. I can work from home if I do not have meetings...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Or I can deliver but would have to be midweek

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
can catch the train with a box if that makes it easier.

• Super Cat
Will be in touch Blackcat after i have spoken to the vet tomorrow. I seem to remember you are in Chatham but dont drive? So we may need to work on a plan to get him to you if need be..

Will be in touch.!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
he is more than welcome at my place and can be kept in a spare room without intrusions from the family. I am at work during the day so if his antibiotics are multiple then that could be a challenge but I am always happy to provide him with care otherwise. The room has central heating so a comfy temperature can be maintained. You can email me, my email is on my profile.

• Super Cat
Bigwig Broken Pelvis, Kent, Is Looking for temporary fosterer carer for R&R
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 22:51:22 PM »
Hello all
Just sending this email out as a general plea to anyone who may be able to help us.. We have just recently been contacted by a local vet regarding a lovely black and while puss that is called Bigwig.. He was found in someones garden in a poorly way and was taken to a vets to be looked at.. It was discovered he had a broken pelvis. This has now been fixed and he  has been at the vets recuperating. However, Bigwig isnt too happy there and we are trying our best to find him a temporary home for 6 to 8wks where he will need to be kept in peace and quiet to allow his pelvis to heal properly. This means he would be best confined to a small pen and be allowed only restricted movement.. Other then his pelvis he is a very healthy puss and may just require one visit to the vet in the next few weeks, but really he just needs time to heal.. Unfortunately, this has come at a very bad time for our branch is that we are overloaded with kittens, pregnant cats and poorly cats and just have no where to put him.  He needs to be confined to a small space so most of our pens are not suitable, he really needs an indoor temporary fosterer, but we are completely out of them.. They are like gold dust to us and at the moment they are overburdened with poorly cats that it would be so unfair to give them any more to care for..

Is there anyone out their who may consider taking Bigwig on a temporary fosterering basis, we can supply a kitten pen, food and litter, all you need is time and be able to take him to the vet to be checked out once or twice.. He isnt keen on other cats or dogs and therefore would be best suited to a home that has no other animals or at least had a spare room where he can be placed away from other resident cats, while in your care..It would be nice if he had some daytime company but it isnt really essential, as Bigwig would not be allowed to much excercise. After he has healed up we can then go about rehoming him.

I am unsure if he is on antibotics still, but the vet did say he was a good patient, fairly laid back kind of puss, loves fuss and affection.

If anyone can offer assistance please get in touch, at the moment we are scratching our heads as to what to do with him for the next few weeks and staying at the vets for all that time isnt going to be very good for him.

Give me a ring on our rehoming line 01227 360432 (this goes to answerphone when i am at work) or email me if you want to know more.. Bigwig is currently in Whitstable, Kent area but we could transport him if need be..although we wouldnt really wish to transport him miles away and we would need to sort out aftercare with a local vet to you if our vet isnt convenient.
Thanks

Canterbury & District CP
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 22:56:19 PM by canterbury_cats »

Link to CatChat