Author Topic: Any Maine Coon/Norwegian Forest Cats looking for a new home?  (Read 18090 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Any Maine Coon/Norwegian Forest Cats looking for a new home?
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2007, 20:47:36 PM »
What great news about Tom so pleased his treatment has gone well and I bet he is pleased to get the frame off early.

Good luck with your MC/NFC search ... I have been keeping my eye out for any but nothing has turned up as yet.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2007, 18:29:06 PM »
We never did find out what happened to the missing Rocky... I still worry about him.  Still.  One has to move on.

Tom's foot is fantastic.  If only we had a Maine Coon to go with it!  Mind you, then Tom would be uncontrollable, he'd be bouncing off the walls he'd be so happy.  It's his birthday on Wednesday, and we can't think of anything to get him.  We did consider a kitten, but know he will always hanker for his Maine Coon, and we'll not buy from breeders.  They have to be rescue cats.  So we will continue watching out for one, and will buy him something else instead for Wednesday (not like there's anything he hasn't all ready got!).

Here's a photo of Tom and his new foot (click on it to enlarge)--the right one is the one that's been treated, it was three sizes smaller than the left when treatment started in April, and all bent round.  Now it just shows up how affected his left foot is too!

Thanks again for your kind words.  It's amazing how much it helps. 

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2007, 18:10:20 PM »
Thats great news. hope he gets his maine coon soon

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2007, 18:07:29 PM »
Thanks for updating us, any news on your missing kitty?

Offline west0405

• Senior Cat
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2007, 17:24:39 PM »
 :clap:

Brilliant news!!!

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2007, 16:29:36 PM »
Still no Maine Coon cats here, although we're still looking.

The best news, though, is (for those of you who remember my son's foot surgery) that Tom's frame came off his foot on 12 July, which was far earlier than we expected; he had a cast on for six weeks, which came off ten days ago; he's now wearing a removable splint; and (brilliant) his new foot is the same size as the other one!  There was a difference of three sizes before. 

He's walking fine with the splint; we're all VERY pleased with his foot; and a lot of the pain he had before his surgery has gone.  We went to the sea last week, and he managed to play on the beach and had a paddle, at last, and got his splint very nicely soaked.  I cannot begin to tell you how relieved I am that it's all over, and he has a fabulous foot at last.

Right, now all we need is a Maine Coon for him to cuddle and we'll be set!

Thanks to all of you for your kind and thoughtful messages.  You helped a lot, far more than you'll realise. 

:hug:

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2007, 17:51:12 PM »
Now we've finished turning we have to wait for the broken bones to heal--10 to 15 weeks, depending on how much he walks on it (he's moved from Zimmer frame to crutches today).  I'm in at school every day now, each break and lunchtime, making him get up out of the wheelchair and walk.  Nasty mummy. 

We're hoping that his feet will be roughly equal at the end of all of this.  The procedure might make his foot stop growing so it's a bit bigger than his other one now.  We hope they'll be roughly the same when it's over, and then grow at the same rate, but it's difficult to predict what will happen.  However, the fact that it's now bigger than the other one for the first time ever (was three sizes smaller when we started all this) is amazing. 

Fingers crossed.  And thanks for the kind words.  You have no idea how much they're appreciated. 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2007, 18:39:30 PM »
Glad to hear Tom is doing so well now fluffy, He's a trooper thats for sure.

Once all the "mecanno" is removed will the foot grow as per or is the idea for it to be longer and the other one play "catch up" natually ?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2007, 20:00:03 PM »
 :( lets hope so.

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2007, 19:50:40 PM »
Not a whisper, I'm afraid.  Sad.  But I hope he decided Tom's op was causing him too much stress, so he went off to find himself a nice new home.  Fingers crossed, eh? 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2007, 19:43:25 PM »
so pleased Tom is doing well, any news on Rocky?

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2007, 19:31:34 PM »
I've been asked by a couple of you for an update re Tom's foot. 

We stopped having to adjust his foot-frame last Wednesday, just five weeks after his surgery, which is brilliant--very quick.  His foot looks fantastic, and is now bigger than his other one! Stopping turning has vastly reduced his pain levels, and he's now not medicated at all.  Now all we have to do is get him up on his feet and walking, to increase his bone growth and healing.  Frame should come off in 10-15 weeks, depending on healing, then a plaster cast for 6 weeks, and after that, a splint for 6-12 months.  He's doing great: took his SATs last week without complaint, is now managing to sleep OK at night, and I am a rather proud mum. 

Still no Maine Coon, but still--things are looking up and we are all so very pleased.

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2007, 10:43:52 AM »
hope you find your cat soon. I found this that might interest you.
Maine Coon Full pedigree, 10 months old, male cream tabby. Neutered, vaccinated and wormed to date. Litter trained. Pleasant and outgoing nature, very sociable. Has been kept as a house cat, looking for a permanent, loving, secure home. Reluctant sale due to allergy. Tel: (07005) 990362  I think they want £300 for him. hope this one is better than the last one I found.

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2007, 22:31:12 PM »
Fingers crossed for Rocky's safe return, I hope he finds his way home soon.

Good news that Tom is doing well.

Thinking of you all

x

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2007, 17:45:30 PM »
Thanks for that.  I've all ready done most of it, but some of the stuff you suggest is not possible here as we're on the moors, with no nearby houses.  The closest are a mile away, and we've asked there, and searched with the owners, just in case.  No luck. 

There's a village across the moors about seven miles away, and I've put posters up there, as well as along the footpath that's half a mile away.  No luck.  If there had been any cats discovered on the roads nearby I'd have known, as the only road is a dead-end one which I drive along a few times each day--and everyone there knows us and our cats. 

I'm not giving up hope, though.  I'll keep searching.  And I will let you know if and when we find him.  Thanks for your help.  It was a very thorough, useful post.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2007, 13:31:52 PM »
Hi Fluffy please to hear Tom is doing well. 

Sorry to hear your furbabe has gone AWOL.

Here are a few things to try:

1. Posters, Posters, Posters with picture and details with contact number.....hand out to neighbours and anyone you see. Put up in local shops, pubs and supermarkets. Stick to all local lamp posts. (If it rains go and collect them and replace - the neighbours and council don’t mind you putting them up so much that way). Also put one in your and friends cars - it amazing how many people see them this way. Make smaller flyers and push through every letterbox on your streets and the surrounding area.   It is a good idea to offer a reward … of course this doesn’t have to be money … a box of chocolates or a bunch of flowers is just as good.

2. Knock on doors and ask neighbours to check their sheds and garages WHILE YOU WAIT … it's surprising how many people say they will check but as soon as the door is closed they forget.   Knock on 10 doors either side of your house on both sides of the street.

3. Register him lost at all vets/catteries/rescue homes within a 20mile radius.  Follow the link and click on the map to find rescues in your area http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html

4. Leave food out and a toy of his

5. Leave out an unwashed item of your clothing

6. Put the contents of your hoover bag on your garden - it’s full of smells that they will recognise and if doesn’t bring him directly to your door will at least hopefully keep him in the area. Alternatively if you have a litter tray that has used put some of the used litter on the garden as this will have familiar smells in it.

7. Contact the local fire brigade and see if they have had to rescue any stuck cats

8. Ask the local children to look - they are great for knowing all the local hidey-holes and love helping. Also have a word with your local post-person and milk man if there is one that delivers in your area.   Also try and enlist the help of people walking dogs as they tend to go “off road” in the fields and parks.

9. Ask the local radio station to announce he’s missing and give out a contact number

10. Put an advert in the local paper

11. Contact your local environmental services dept (bin men) they keep a log of all animals picked on the roadside ... I know this is not a pleasant call to make and hopefully it will come back as negative.

12. Go out after dark when it is quieter with a friend / partner and walk round the local area gently calling every so often (give him a chance to answer you). Keep talking as you walk round that way if he is in the area he will hear you.

13. When you talk to vets and rescues, ask them about any known local feral colonies and where they are based. If Kitty has been missing for more than a few days s/he might have wandered further afield and might be “hanging round” near a colony for security (safety in numbers) and company. If vets/rescues know locations of colonies, these might be useful to get some ideas of where to start looking.

Finally have a look at these sites - they are all EXCELLENT

http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php (this is a new forum created after the CatChat forum closed down.  There are loads of members and full of cat rescuers and carers)

http://www.mymoggy.com/  contact Sue at mymoggy.

http://thehovel.com/bb/index.php?f=28&ppage=20&sort=lastpost&order=DESC

http://www.soyouhavelostyourcat.co.uk/#1

http://www.petsearchuk.org.uk/

http://www.amissingpet.co.uk/

http://nationalpetregister.org

http://www.animalsearchuk.com/

http://pet-rescue.org.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=308

http://www.lostmycat.org/index.php

http://lost-found-pets.vivastreet.co.uk/lost-found-pets

http://www.animalrescuers.co.uk/html/lostfound.html

Good luck and stay positive.

Hopefully your little one has just got itself shut in a shed somewhere.

And finally ……. IMPORTANT NOTE: When you get your furbabe back remember to remove ALL the posters and inform all vets / rescues / websites etc that they are home.

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2007, 12:58:41 PM »
Sorry not to have visited lately.

Tom's doing OK: pain is still a problem and we've all got a horrible cold now, but apart from that we're fine.  His surgery was on 12 April and the night before, we measured his foot at 19.5cm long.  I just measured it and it's now 23.5cm long.  No wonder it's hurting!  It's been stretched 4cm in three weeks and two days.  My word.  For the first time in his life his right foot is bigger than his left, which only measures 22.75cm long.  Walking is still difficult but he's doing very well.

We've had one sadness: one of our cats has disappeared.  We've not seen Rocky for a week now, despite searching and calling.  Rocky was a very disturbed Siamese who sprayed and hid and faught with anything when he first came: with Wizz'z advice Tom sorted him out, using Feliway, clicker-training (Rocky could open boxes and climb ladders, and do all sorts) and lots of play.  He became a beautiful, affectionate, happy lap-cat.  And now he's gone.  We are all very sad.  I do hope he turns up somewhere but he's been gone since Thursday of last week so we're not too hopeful.  Funnily enough he woke me up in the middle of the night, and cuddled up, the night before he went: he's never done that before.  But at least I have that nice memory of him to keep. 

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2007, 18:12:32 PM »
I was just about to email a get well card to you for Tom from the cats but your email is hidden, any chance you could pm it to me so I can send it to you. Thought it might cheer him up a little bit
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2007, 17:50:07 PM »
Aww bless him I hope he gets his maine coon soon looks like it would really cheer him up at the moment

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2007, 14:31:01 PM »
He's torn more than one set of sheets in half since he's been home.  All you need is a tiny little cat-scratch hole and one of those pins gets in it and whoosh!  A great big tear.  He's getting very good at turning over in bed without clunking his other foot; and he's also good at running around on his hands and feet and bottom, a bit like a crab.  He does all sorts of stuff he shouldn't.  Crutches remain impossible, because of the pins in the ball of his foot, but as the swelling subsides he's getting better at using his zimmer frame.  Bless him. 

Oh, and yes.  He is extraordinarily handsome and no, I'm not biased at all!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2007, 14:18:10 PM »
Looks like Tom's a handsome lad as well as a brave and caring one.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2007, 13:37:13 PM »
jeezo poor lad, must be nerve wracking for him everytime he want to try and move for fear of hurting his leg.

Good luck with that new suggestion.

Offline alexgirl73

• Adult Cat
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2007, 13:34:57 PM »
aww, poor lad! but what a head he has on his shoulders from what you have said about him! He's going to grow up to be one of the good uns!!! Hope he finds his maine coon soon!

ETA - Have you tried giving this lot a phone and seeing if they can help you!

http://www.maine-coon-cat-club.com/rescue/
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 13:38:33 PM by alexgirl73 »
A home without a cat is just a house!

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2007, 12:47:57 PM »
Thank you--I'll have a look at Many Tears now.

Meanwhile, here's a photo of Tom so you can all have a look at his big Meccano set.  Not a close-up, as I don't want to upset the more squeamish among you.  But I thought it was time I showed you what he's having to put up with!

Offline Catswhiskers

• Adult Cat
  • Tabby, Franco and Willow
    • Fibro fighters
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2007, 00:32:14 AM »
Hi I have to say what a brave lad you have, I do hope he feels better soon. I have only just refound this site after loosing it for ages lol and saw this ost and thought I would mention many tears have a maine coon there.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change....

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2007, 21:15:34 PM »
Yes she has settled in with all my lot but I feel that she would be better having a home with maybe just one other cat as she demands a lot of attention. We have a couple of possible homes for her now too thanks to everyone who has asked about her.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2007, 19:46:47 PM »
Oh I got the impression from the hovel post that Chase would be happy with other pets etc:

....  Chase has settled very well into her foster home and is now living alongside other cats, a dog and also children, very happily.

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2007, 17:58:21 PM »
I'd noticed Chase all ready, but realised she had to be an only cat.

We'd certainly consider a Ragdoll.  I'm a sucker for a blue-eyed cat!  It would have to be happy with other cats, with two elderly, cat-friendly dogs, and two boys--as well as with me.  I'm home most of the time.  Let me know if you have any suitable cats and I'll suggest it to Tom!

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2007, 16:59:21 PM »
Thats Chase I am fostering her and she needs a home with no other pets really or maybe just one other cat. So I wouldn't say she is suitable really but if you are interested in having a ragdoll instead let me know as we are always getting them in.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2007, 15:03:27 PM »
Jane,

I have just been on the hovel and there are quiet a few Ragdolls that need a home ..... this one in particular caught my eye:

http://www.thehovel.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7954

Chase is an 11 year old female Ragdoll x Chincilla and she needs a new home quite urgently. She is very much loved and has always been very well cared for but, due to personal circumstances, her owner can no longer keep her.

I know she's not a Maine Coon but I thought you might be interested in her.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2007, 13:56:07 PM »
Sorry to hear Tom is in pain  :'( but he certainly sounds like a tough little cookie and is obviously trying to take his mind off things by looking after Mabel.  If Mabel is anything like the Siameses I was brought up with she will be loving all the attention and the chance to be snuggeled up in bed all day with Tom.  (Love the pic of her BTW  :rofl: )

All the best to Tom and fingers crossed the pain starts to ease soon.

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2007, 20:09:24 PM »
Gald he is doing well. I hope your kitty is feeling better soon too

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2007, 17:27:54 PM »
Jane, I know nothing about Maine Coons or NFCs so I hadn't caught up with this before now.  :(

What a brave little boy you have - I hope the pain eases quickly for him. It's lovely of him to nurse little Mabel when he is in such pain himself.

:hug: to him and to you too.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2007, 17:24:16 PM »
My, Cody looks dignified...!

Tom's on all the painkillers he can have, I'm afraid--if there were any more I'd be ladleing them into him.  The only thing we can do is to give him morphine now, but that would mean going back to hospital so we've decided against that.  But he's holding up, and is doing fine.  I'm just glad he's so fit and strong--it makes a lot of things much easier. 

Here's a photo of Mabel so you can see what we're dealing with.  I showed this one to Wizz ages ago and she threatened to take her away from me.  Can't imagine why. 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2007, 17:00:10 PM »
You'll have to get tom to post a piccy of his lego masterpiece jane  ;D

sorry t hear about mabel but it sounds like she has an excellent nurse to look after her.

so sorry tom is in pain the poor mite, can he get stronger painkillers from the docs or something ??  Wish there was something we could do to stop the pain for him..i just imagine it being one of mine and the thought alone in unbearable.

Heres a couple of pics to cheer him up, cody waving to say hi and cody with his little feathery luv heart  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2007, 16:56:57 PM »
Hi Jane. Wow Giant Lego sounds brilliant!  I hope the pain starts to ease off soon for him. He sounds a fantastically brave boy  ;D

Let him know that we're all thinking of him and my 3 NFCs send loads of huge fluffy cuddles to him.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2007, 16:52:12 PM »
Thanks for asking!

Tom's doing OK.  He's in a lot of pain at present, and has had to give up crutches for now and try a zimmer frame because his foot is so tight.  But he's not complained once and I am very proud of him. 

He finished the giant lego set in about 48 hours, despite my taking it away from him several times in an attempt to make it last longer!  He's been looking after Mabel since Saturday, our rescue Siamese who managed to lacerate her belly in two places, don't know how.  First thing I knew about it was when she jumped on my lap, rolled over and showed me two big septic lumps on her tum.  Took her to the vet on Saturday morning, who said she probably needed a GA to lance and drain it but he was willing to have a go if I was: she didn't complain apart from two tiny, non-Siamese meows when we were squeezing the swellings to drain them.  Can't believe how good she's been.  Since then Tom's been bathing her belly, giving her her capsules (again, with no complaints from her) and making sure she doesn't over-exert herself by tucking her up beside him in bed.  What with Mabel's belly and Tom's foot we're a pretty sorry lot here, I'm just glad they're both on the mend and that Tom's a better patient than Mabel is, as she keeps on trying to lick her scabby bits and we have to distract her.  She'd kill herself if she had a lampshade on her head (remember, she's a bonkers Siamese), though, so we have no option.

Anyway.  Thanks again for asking.  IT's very kind of you all to show so much concern.  And my name's Jane, by the way. 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2007, 13:55:52 PM »
hows tom getting on fluffy (sorry dont know your name lol)

I hope he has mastered that lego set (my almost 7 year old son isnt terribly into lego much to my frustration)

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2007, 17:58:33 PM »
Thats great news. hope he just keeps getting better and better from now on.

Offline Fluffy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2007, 17:48:19 PM »
Thanks all, for the posts here and the PMs.

Guess what:

TOM CAME HOME TODAY!

He's managing to walk on crutches; he's off morphine and diazepam, just on paracetamol and codiene (sp), and is very happy to be back here (the giant Lego set we bought him has helped).  I'm off to spend some time with my lovely family, both cats and humans, but did want to let you know that he was home.  Hurrah!

Link to CatChat