Author Topic: Call received today - GOOD NEWS  (Read 14322 times)

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
Re: Call received today - GOOD NEWS
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2008, 18:46:27 PM »
Great outcome
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2008, 18:40:06 PM »
That's fantastic news, so glad it was a positive outcome!

Hopefully now the owner will get himself a proper vet (not a superstore Vet) and some insurance!
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2008, 23:37:58 PM »
Fab news  :Luv:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2008, 20:43:33 PM »
Glad there was a happy ending to this.
Please spay your cat

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2008, 18:45:41 PM »
What a relief. I was wondering what was happening and couldn't get the poor cat out of my mind.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2008, 18:08:06 PM »
Wow so pleased , thanks for updating us  ;D

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2008, 18:00:34 PM »
Great news - Glad commonsense finally prevailed on all sides ... ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2008, 17:41:38 PM »
I was in PAH today and realised I hadn't heard an update. Called Sharon and she said the latest was they were writing to him last weekend. I said I will ask the vets. She said he came in this morning and paid most of the money so they gave him the cat  ;D

The VN said he was a lovely cat and she would have kept him herself if she didn't have her own cats  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Call received today
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2008, 21:13:48 PM »
She has as good as been abandoned (carpark or vets, not much difference!) and if hes slamming down the phone it would be worth contacting them for advice.

Im sure they would be pleased to get shot of a black cat to CP  >:(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2008, 20:21:08 PM »
As the cat is being cared for by the vets, I am not sure that the RSPCA , even them!, have the pwoer to do this unless the vets ask them to.

The question also would be , would they sign the cat over to CP.

This is such a stupid mess and wish we knew the reason why the owner is being so uncoperative with Cp who are trying to help.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2008, 20:17:23 PM »
I know we generally hate the RSPCA but in this case they would have the power to sieze the cat. If they serve notice to the owner by visiting him and he doesnt respond within x amount of days they can take the cat and sign him over to CP....
I think contacting them is the only way forward or the poor cat is gonna be caged for ages  :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2008, 18:11:03 PM »
Afraid I agree with you PB and I cant believe that the cat is being made to suffer due to an arguement between the owner and this vet.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
I really worry about this poor wee puss - I used to worry about my wee man being couped up for a day when he was in for treatment! This poor kitty is being left all the time - and no doubt overnight!! Oh dear!  :tired:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2008, 12:03:30 PM »
I have a feeling this is not going to end pleasantly.  :tired:

Poor cat!!  :'(

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2008, 11:48:59 AM »
What a sad situation for the poor puss, I do hope there is a good outcome to this.
Please spay your cat

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2008, 11:42:20 AM »
Our co ordinator rang up today.. They contacted the owner who promptly put the phone down on them. They are putting debt letters in the post in the next few days, but they go through a system of three warnings first. This can take weeks if not months.

At the moment our only resourse is that the vets know we are able to take this cat on should things change...

She is a black puss, 2yrs old, well cared for in the past, spayed etc...No name..

Not as we hoped but legally our hands our tied.
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2008, 09:15:42 AM »
This is such a difficult one. If only it was as simple as doing a whip-round to raise £200, what happens the next time the cat needs any treatment? - will that person be back asking for it to be paid for them again - or worse, will they just deny the poor cat any vet treatment? - I thought most people were aware of PDSA for genuine cases.

The vet must realise this needs to be resolved as they can't keep the cat like that indefinitely.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 09:17:55 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Super Cat
Re: Call received today, cat at the vets still for non payment of bill
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2008, 08:50:21 AM »
Okay i  am going to talk to our co ordinator today who hopefully can give them a call and speak to the vet and not a nurse.. We however, just cannot pay the bill,  when we first started this branch we were niave and helped out occassionally but it brought so many problems to us that its our policy not to do that again.. The fosterering idea is good although we still need the permission of the owner... Even then where do we go from there, without permission to rehome we are little better off.

The only solution it to explain about the rehoming route, or put pressure on PAH to decide on what they intend to do or say in the next few weeks if the cat is not claimed or any bills paid...

Will let you know if we get anywhere, but i wondered if PAH have sent a letter to the owner there must be an address if not a tel number...

Although i sympathise with the owner i do think reading through the lines that he has been given ample opportunity to contribute towards the bill payment PAH. But i stil think its illegal of them to keep the cat in if its not receiving any form of vet care now just because of this... So there must be a few other issues we are not aware of...

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2008, 01:08:03 AM »
I'm sure we won't leave this drop until the cat is sorted one way or another. Sharon is like a rottie with a bone on issues like this.  :evillaugh: We just have to wait a few days to do things properly.

But if worse comes to worse, I'm taking names for a jail break crew...  :boxer: :car: :ahh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2008, 23:52:37 PM »
I am sure the Canterbury crew will read this all tomorrow Ron and any news will be posted. thanks  ;D

Offline ronandcats

• Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2008, 23:45:17 PM »
Hi Gill, if the bill was paid could it not be fostered until things were sorted with the owner the only one suffering is the poor little cat there must be some way round it and then the greedy vet would get his money people make me sick letting a poor little cat suffer for there greediness.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2008, 23:32:48 PM »
Ron I am sure there is a way to do this if Sharon and crew could find away to get there paws on the cat but at present the vets will not let it go to them cos they say the owner would not allow it.

If you have any ideas how the cat can be resued from the vets and possibly its owner , or even for a while till it can go home, we would love to hear.

The whole blooming thing seems to be at am impasse and the cat is suffering as a result.

It seems that the vets just want to get their greedy hands on loads of money and I bet would suddenly allow the cat to go to anyone if they got loads of dosh.

Basically it seems to me that the cat is being held to ransome!

Just wondered Pink, what the vets would say if someone offered to pay the bill..........would they release the cat to the ones who paid, or suddenly be able to contact the owner or what  :shify: :shify:

Offline ronandcats

• Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2008, 23:26:32 PM »
cant we all club in and help this poor little cat and let P.B hold it till its sorted, i am willing to help for the poor little Babes sake.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2008, 22:15:50 PM »
I am sure that PAH vet has not been in this situation before and they must have procedures to cover this.

I think you are right brinkmanship is involved and the poor cat is suffereing as a result, they sound pretty incompentent to me as they must have the address of the owner.

I seem to recall that a certain cat whose name I forget was rehomed very quickly by RSPCA in Hillingdon and the owners had to fight to get him ]back but in another case the owners where not successful but certainly RSPCA seem they have the right to rehome in two weeks or less, mind you I expect they do at the time know who the owner is.

Why cant someone from PAH go round to this guys house and deliver a letter saying that the cat will be put into fostercare.

I can understand why I see this  :pressie: :brick: so often in some posts  concerning people and their cats .............sigh

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2008, 22:06:43 PM »
I gather from speaking with the nurse today, that the owner was offered a payment schedule and so far hasn't honoured it. Don't know the reasons why. It's a straightforward case of brinkmanship and neither side seems capable of backing down. We were only contacted on the hope we could pay the bill, which of course we can't, but now we've said no PAH don't seem to working to resolve this is another way. As was said previously, they do get puss out for a play and a bit of exercise once in a while but this is a million miles short of adequate care, IMO.

The situation is compounded by the fact that PAH can't contact the owner as his phone is unobtainable, so they have to wait til he makes contact, which might be tomorrow or never... But the nurse is fairly sure he will not sign puss over, even though the option hasn't been fully discussed with him. So it may be a case of going along the animal abandonment route and this would mean RSPCA involvement.

I was also a little concerned that the nurse I spoke to today hadn't thought about the psycological and physical impact of keeping puss in a vet cage for this long. She says she thinks puss will probably be there for at least another couple of weeks even if the owner does start paying now.

We're thinking on the situation over the weekend, but probably the next move will be for our Coordinator to speak to the vet involved personally. We would like to at least make sure the rehoming option is put to the owner and he's aware we're here wanting the best for his cat.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2008, 18:16:44 PM »
from another forum on a post about Vets Now (Yes 'm doing a bit more - my petition has found another 40+ sigs in the last 3 days (can't think why lol))

"yet they STILL charge existing clients £100 just to walk through the door, and were full of all kinds of nasty threats like 'if you cant find it then we wont treat your pet at all' and 'if you dont pay up tomorrow when you come to pick your pet up, we will keep her and charge you for kennelling until you do'....both of these things are actually illegal, so i moved! "

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2008, 17:13:31 PM »
Sorry Gill, I read it wrong  :tired:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2008, 17:09:47 PM »
If the vets agreed to a payment scheme with the owner then the owner could have the cat back.................if it was my post you are referring to I think it was explained quite well.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2008, 16:59:27 PM »
or maybe they could return the cat and sue the owner for payment and go through the proper channels like everybody else does.

• Super Cat
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2008, 16:56:10 PM »
Absolutely nothing we can do unless the owner signs the cat over or the vets thinks its neglet and cruetly and then the RSPCA can sign it over..

If the cat has finished treatment then the vets have no right to keep the cat anyhows.....

Perhaps the vets should send a letter of debt to the owner with a date of action and if that isnt followed then the cat is considered abandoned.

Did i miss the point, why want the vets agree to installments for this bill anyhows.....?

Wish we could get both sides of this story, but until we do or something happens then we are stuck.. One thing, we cannot pay the bill if the cat is returned to the owner, a  recipe for disaster for the future.

Makes me wonder why they didnt refer to PDSA anyhows in the first place. Barton is very near PAH in Canterbury and is a PDSA vet
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 17:01:02 PM by canterbury_cats »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2008, 16:50:55 PM »
Reading between the lines, I think the VN's are telling you only half a story.  If the owner didn't care, he wouldn't have took the cat in and he would just sign her over.  I really think this needs to checked out properly because in my eyes, people are always complaining about a certain rescue barging in and removing animals without any proper evidence, and I'm sorry but I think this seems the same sort of thing.  Okay, he's not been to visit but we don't know why and as mentioned by Gill, he could be scared if they've been threatening all sorts, we just don't know what's going on and are assuming.

The fostering idea is a good one and you could work it that once he's paid, the cat is returned but if he can't afford the bill, what happens then?  I would mention to them about him contacting his local RSPCA to help, I know I've said this before but chances are they will help in this situation, our branch has done this numerous times for people on Benefits who have been stung by a large bill.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 16:55:17 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2008, 16:37:36 PM »
They can be given out if the owner agrees

• Super Cat
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2008, 16:36:43 PM »
Due to DPA i doubt the owners details will be given out to us..

• Super Cat
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2008, 16:35:10 PM »
i am going to call CP Legal dept to get some advice on this one...

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2008, 16:20:33 PM »
I would definitely be trying to get both sides of the story before I acted, and Gill, that is a good idea regarding contact ...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2008, 16:14:16 PM »
What a horrible mess and well done for trying to help.

I still feel after reading this for the first time that there is a bit of the story missing. The owner doesnt visit but will not sign the cat over, took the cat for traetment and got stung with a £200 bill.

I know that I have been ill for a week now going out today for first time in the car whicxh is parked outside my door and I shouldnt have cos just wasnt well enoughmand couldnt have gone out anytime this week. If the ownere ill and on benefits, may not have a car, cannt afford transprt, is agrieved about the bill, sees the cat as a barginning point............as dawn says who knows what the situation is.

Suspect PAH vet cannot give out details of the owner cos of Data Protection but am sure that all vets must have been in this position before.

As the vets are in contact with the owner, maybe a way round this is for them to tell owner that they cannot board this cat any more cos it is getting unwell being in a cage all the time and therefore unless an arrangement, say post dated checks, is made then they will be forced to put the cat into a foster home ie yourgoodselves in canterbury, and the owner should permit the fosters to contact him.

Dont know if any of that sounds resonable or would work but it may allow you then to be at least able to talk to the owner and get the otherside of the story. Could be owner has been threatened by PAH with legal action over unpaid bill and is scared to visit cat, or they have said he is not allowed to visit cat?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2008, 15:51:58 PM »
I think it would be better dealing directly with the owner if that's the situation at the vets.  I hope and pray that a solution is sorted for the cats sake  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2008, 15:48:30 PM »
It sounds like the vet and the customer are stalemate and we are just in the middle. Just waiting to hear what Sharon & Gillian want to do then Julie will phone the vet again. Julie said there are so many staff there that it's difficult to get the same person twice. One of us may pay them a visit early next week  :(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2008, 15:45:36 PM »
Poor baby  :'(  Is there any way the vet would give the customer Julie's number and maybe she could have a chat with him?  At least this way she can suss out the situation without it coming via 3rd party.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2008, 15:42:44 PM »
Julie spoke to the vet today. They have spoken to the customer who has refused to sign the cat over. We are going to suggest a fostering arrangement as we don't know what to do next. Obviously the cat's welfare is the only thing we are concerned about. The VN told Julie that they take him out of the cage every now and then for a play but it must be awful. Vet's cages aren't much bigger than a carrier  :(

Link to CatChat