Author Topic: Friends cat killed by dog  (Read 4658 times)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Re: Friends cat killed by dog
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 14:10:24 PM »
Even if it wasn't fast asleep, it might not have had a chance regardless whether it was alert or fast, or not. As I said, it all happened so fast. I don't know any details whether everything happened in the same place, or if there was a chase. I didn't want to ask anymore, he was upset.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 14:06:06 PM »
From what I gathered, the cat was asleep and it all happened so fast I don't think the cat stood a chance. Remember these were greyhounds, who were trained in chasing!

If it was fast asleep, then fair enough. But cats that are alert, fast, awake and fit could probably get away from a greyhound, if the space was confined and hindered, which I imagine a garden would be. Now if it was an open field with no obstructions, then the greyhound would win every time. In any case, I digress.

It amazes me that a person can have a dog on a leash and then let go of it so easily. Whats the point in having a leash if you are going to let go, when the dog tugs at it?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 14:07:11 PM by sunama »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 11:04:37 AM »
Only just caught up with thread .... shocking!!!!!!

Please pass on my sincere condolences to this gentleman ... I really can't imagine what I would do if this happened to me but I have a horrid feeling I would probably end up getting into alot of trouble.

RIP little kitty xxxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 09:40:33 AM »
From what I gathered, the cat was asleep and it all happened so fast I don't think the cat stood a chance. Remember these were greyhounds, who were trained in chasing!

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 03:00:26 AM »
Poor cat and poor man.

The woman is scum  >:(

Right - cats are regarded as property. She has damaged his property and needs to be sued! - it won't bring the cat back but will teach the scum a lesson. He can donate it to a cat charity in her memory. The woman will think twice in future.

I agree with this. The woman, who had the dog on a leash clearly wasnt strong enough to walk it or to look after it. To simply say that she couldnt hang on, is just wrong.

Didnt the cat try and make a run for it or was it lethargic/old. I know that if a dog came near any of my 2 cats, they would make a run for it.

Whatever animal you have - from the smallest to the largest - you have to take full responsibility for it. If you have a dangerous animal capable of doing damage, then you have to be totally aware of what it can do. Unfortunately, most owners have the attitude that, "My alfie wouldnt do that". Animals, by their very nature are unpredictable and have to be kept an eye on.

I feel sorry for the cat and its owner.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 10:44:48 AM »
Woowoo and jamesonsmum, both these situations are terribly sad and both could've been avoided by people controlling their dogs properly.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Woowoo. I don't know how recent it as but with things like this I would imagine any reminder is painful. And jamesonsmum, please pass on my condolences to your friend. What an awful thing to happen.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 10:41:05 AM »
That's the trouble with these thuggy types, everyone is scared of upsetting them so they get away with everything. 

Offline woowoo

• Senior Cat
    • Four paws pet rescue Cumbria South
  • Slave to: Basil,Fred,Molly,Trevor,Pepe,Mabel, Odin(RIP) and the four dogs.
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 22:48:02 PM »
That's what I was told. They said they couldn't prove that he shouted "Get it" to the dog. My neighbours were understandably worried about reprisals as this man is a very vicious thug. He was/is one of the local badger baiting set. Get the picture? True B**TARD!

ccmacey

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 22:44:04 PM »
The woman let her dog off lead because it was pulling too much!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! What a complete and utter idiot.

What if it was a child!

You know stupid people like this dont know the pain till they feel it themselves  >:(

Poor kitty

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 22:35:13 PM »
How can there not be enough evidence when it had witnesses?

So sorry about the mans cat Jameson, this is so terrible.

Even if the cat had gone into the neighbours garden that is not illegal in this country and the dog should still not attack cats, although they could argue that the dog was defending his territory I guess but would still be a pretty lame excuse.

Trouble is it costs money to sue and many cant afford it, rather than not wanting to.

Offline woowoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 22:27:11 PM »
It was horrific really. The RSPCA couldn't prosecute as there wasn't enough evidence. I've since heard it wasn't the first time he'd done it either. Sorry if I've hijacked someone elses thread.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 22:14:02 PM »
That's awful woowoo.

Offline woowoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 20:03:41 PM »
I agree that the dog should be muzzled. Nearly all of the Greyhound rescue societies recommend this for a retired Greyhound. My sixteen year old cat was attacked and killed by a Lurcher that was taught to hunt. The B**tard actually set his dog on her. It broke her neck in two places and the postmortem discovered that she was still alive for sometime after the breaks. He then got the dog to return her to him and then laid her in the road to make it look like she had been knocked down. The whole incident was witnessed by my neighbours. I never ever blamed the dog it is the owners responsibility to ensure that it is properly controlled at all times. The saddest thing was she lived with two huge Lurchers and she totally trusted them. They were always curled up asleep together. :(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 19:17:09 PM »
Sounds like the dogs should be muzzled if she can't control them  >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 19:05:15 PM »
How dreadful - as others have said, if the dogs were out on the street the owner has a responsibilty to keep them under control. If she is unable to do so, she should either train them better or not take them for walks unless she has a strong adult with her who can back her up. He would be well within his rights to sue them but I can understand if he were to choose not too.

It would be different if the cat had strayed onto the dog-owners' property as the cat would then be in the wrong. But in this instance, the dogs' owner is well out of line ...

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 17:57:46 PM »
What a terribly sad story :(  That's rubbish the owners saying they couldn't do anything about it - of course they could.  They should have the dog under control at all times.  But I can understand the cat's owner not wanting to make waves.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 17:00:54 PM »
Yes - I think his worry is to cause any beef between him and the neighbours. He just want a quiet life.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 16:41:45 PM »
trouble is if he lives alone and wants a quiet life he might be a bit scared of reporting

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 16:41:08 PM »
That is so very sad.  If the woman knew her dog was after the cat she had a right to keep hold of the lead, no matter how much the dog was pulling.  The law says you have to keep your dogs under control and she clearly didn't.  I would report her to the police, to the dog warden.

Your poor neighbour must be devastated.  This happened to a little girl who lived near me a few years ago.  Her three legged cat was ripped apart by two wandering dogs in front of a bunch of kids.  It is devastating.
Luckily it's not my neighbour, this man lives near the parents in law, on the countryside. If it was my neighbour I would really push him to report it, or maybe do it myself as my Jameson boy would also be in danger then.
Poor little girl... as if it wasn't enough the cat was 3 legged!! I bet she had got him from a rescue?

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 14:25:58 PM »
That is so very sad.  If the woman knew her dog was after the cat she had a right to keep hold of the lead, no matter how much the dog was pulling.  The law says you have to keep your dogs under control and she clearly didn't.  I would report her to the police, to the dog warden.

Your poor neighbour must be devastated.  This happened to a little girl who lived near me a few years ago.  Her three legged cat was ripped apart by two wandering dogs in front of a bunch of kids.  It is devastating.

MBll

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »
Very sorry to hear about this poor cat  :(  poor man.   This should be reported

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 12:33:28 PM »
Thats very very sad  :hug:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 11:29:10 AM »
I agree Mark, and I will talk to him next time I see him, to encourage him to do so. It had just happened when we spoke to him so he wasn't in the right frame of mind for it.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 11:26:18 AM »
I know you can't push him but if he does something, he could be saving another cat from the same fate. The woman needs to pay for her actions. Obviously it is her fault and not the dog's.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 11:22:42 AM »
I said that too, but he doesn't want to take actions right now. He's just trying to move on and get over the loss.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 11:23:53 AM by jamesonsmum »

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 11:19:08 AM »
what a poor excuse,if the dog was going to go for the cat she should of taken the dog away from the situation,SIMPLE! 

Sometimes I wonder if people have a brain >:(
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 11:15:10 AM »
Poor cat and poor man.

The woman is scum  >:(

Right - cats are regarded as property. She has damaged his property and needs to be sued! - it won't bring the cat back but will teach the scum a lesson. He can donate it to a cat charity in her memory. The woman will think twice in future.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 11:10:16 AM »
I know, I was very sad to hear it too. He's retired, and very quiet and gentle so wouldn't start any arguments etc with the neighbour. The cat wasn't insured either - they live on the countryside so he felt it wasn't neccessary. He knew it wasn't the dogs fault - it's a greyhound who had been taught to chase rabbits etc while racing. Then he said, ''so... i have a big load of catfood that you can have for Jameson''... it broke my heart!!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 11:04:23 AM »
OMG THAT IS SO SO SAD  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
YOUR POOR FRIEND - DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY XX  :hug:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 11:03:14 AM »
I know!! My friend told her that she shouldn't have dogs can't keep on a lead - and she got p'd off for him saying that. Didn't apologise though!!!!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 11:00:56 AM »
The woman let her dog off lead because it was pulling too much!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! What a complete and utter idiot.

I'm so sorry for your friends loss  :(

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 10:56:14 AM »
that is horrific, poor man

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Friends cat killed by dog
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 10:54:42 AM »
A friend of ours - a lovely gentleman- just told me and OH that his cat has been killed by a dog. While he was away on holiday!! This man had someone catsitting for him while he was away. The catsitter - a friend of his- called him up while sobbing hysterically. He said to her ''is she dead''? He just had a gut feeling. The catsitter told him that one of the neighbours dogs (they have two retired greyhounds) had gone for the cat, while the cat was sleeping outside in her garden. The poor cat had no chance. Our friend is obviously very upset - she was his best friend.  The neighbours wouldn't even apologise, the woman just said she had the dog on a lead but he was pulling to much and she had to let go off the lead!!! It makes me so angry!! And sad, for him, as this gentleman is the most kind, humble man you'll ever meet! He was living on his own with the cat and had her since she was a kitten, she was 14 so I told him at least she's lived a long happy life with him.

Link to CatChat