Author Topic: Blip scared of fireworks for the first time  (Read 5237 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Blip scared of fireworks for the first time
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 14:46:34 PM »
I found this rather interesting-looking text on homoeopathy too, although I haven't had time to read it all properly, which may be of interest to believers and sceptics alike

http://www.accampbell.uklinux.net/homeopathy/homeopathy-html/biblio.html
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 14:36:05 PM »
I think a desensitiser might be a good idea if poor Blip is upset again tonight.  I have just discovered there is a big public display in the park near us at 20.00  :scared:  The odd thing is that she has never been upset before so I was wondering if it was the sound of a particular firework that upset her yesterday evening.

I also had a few minutes and found this on Rescue Remedy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bach_flower_remedies
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 13:40:38 PM »
Aww, poor Blip  :hug:  Jaffa says he wont' let those nasty fireworks hurt her.  He's a big, brave boy and not at all scared of fireworks (although he is scared of just about everything else  ;D)

I used rescue remedy with Jaffa when I took him up to my mum's a couple of christmases ago.  I dont' know if it helped or not, but I reckoned it wouldn't hurt and just might help.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 13:14:47 PM »
I think its a good idea to invest in a de sensitiser CD too late for this year but get one around Easter time and start by playing it very quietly building up to loud by October time,next year should then be better.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 13:06:47 PM »
[
Yes.  Many years ago my then boss bought me a phial of Rescue Remedy   I dutifully used it - and did not change my mind.  But if anyone can point me in the direction of a double blind, peer-reviewed clinical trial which demonstrates anything other than a placebo effect, I will publically  :scared: and humbly :-[ eat my words on this very forum.

Placebo effect? - in cats? I don't think so. For a start cats don't think (if at all LOL!) 'oh I'm having a pill, therefore I might feel better after it'! or 'oh, they've just put some rescue remedy on my ear, I might not feel frightened of the fireworks anymore'! In fact you could say, the complete opposite might be the case - we all know how many cats hate to take pills etc!  :)

You need clinical trials? -  I don't, because I've seen the results in my own cats using homeopathic remedies (in consultation with a homeopathic vet),  and if something is going to work that is safe and gentle, with no harmful side effects, then I would far rather use that than some of the drugs these days.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 10:17:17 AM »
It has been very quiet on the firework front this year, so far no more than we hear the rest of the year. I expect that will all change very soon. Although I have noticed that the shops are only sell huge boxes and the single fireworks  are the very big ones that are £20+
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 16:28:59 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 09:38:15 AM »
Oops, more importantly, Blip is fine today  :thanks: but I am fully expecting more fireworks tonight and over the weekend.  >:(  I shall make sure I am home very early tonight and on Monday.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 09:35:48 AM »
Ah.  I am going to have to declare a complete, absolute and utter disbelief in Bach Flower Remedies (as I think they may be called?) as well as homoeopathy and similar. 

Have you tried them?

Yes.  Many years ago my then boss bought me a phial of Rescue Remedy to try and dissuade me from my opinion.  I dutifully used it - and did not change my mind.  But if anyone can point me in the direction of a double blind, peer-reviewed clinical trial which demonstrates anything other than a placebo effect, I will publically  :scared: and humbly :-[ eat my words on this very forum.

:Luv:

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 23:36:53 PM »
aww bless her,

There hasnt been any fireworks going of around here yet but i dread to think how the kittens are going to react as if i drop something and it goes bang they hide under the bed for hours  :(

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 23:05:15 PM »
We had some fireworks going off nearby and thankfully no loud bangs which frightens Archie. He seemed OK with these. Scruffy came in as she did not like them. Will have to shut the catflap earlier over next few days.
Hope Blip is OK, poor thing :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 23:05:08 PM »
We don't Have gardens adjoining ours so they  are safe  :Luv:

Blip only goes into the enclosed back gardens and the one at the back of ours belongs to a minor celebrity who, by nature of her day job, has to be well-behaved at home  :evillaugh:

Got me thinking now - but I know you can't tell us who it is. There are so many "celebrities" now it could be anyone  :evillaugh:

We have our share of them here but mainly 2nd homers.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 22:49:39 PM »
Ah.  I am going to have to declare a complete, absolute and utter disbelief in Bach Flower Remedies (as I think they may be called?) as well as homoeopathy and similar. 

Have you tried them?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 22:40:43 PM »
I thought I had lost Tiger earlier, and wondered if she had sneaked out of the house. Then I realised she had been petrified at the fireworks last year, checked behind the settee I found her behind last year and she was there - it was Gingers favourite spot during fireworks too, I dread to think how bad it must have been for him living outside with his reaction inside. None of the others seem that bothered, they look, but Tiger hides, bless her. Think I might get out the RR tomorrow.
Please spay your cat

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 21:28:07 PM »
Oh poor Blip  :hug:

Hope she is feeling much better  :Luv:

We've just had a massive display on the field next to us and neither Nina or Kiki are bothered at all, my little sister on the other hand is terrified of them  :(

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 21:10:25 PM »

Blip only goes into the enclosed back gardens and the one at the back of ours belongs to a minor celebrity who, by nature of her day job, has to be well-behaved at home  :evillaugh:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 21:08:00 PM »
In that case my friend may I prescribe a gentle healing hug from me
Tx

You most certainly may  :Luv: and I have administered it to Blips advantage  :)

DD, Zak has my sympathy as I remember how much the companion of my childhood, a labrador, hated fireworks.  They should certainly be banned from general use.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 21:04:55 PM »
Kylie isn't the least bit fazed by them and is in the garden now - she is more interested in guarding us from the tortie  :evillaugh:

Clapton who is scared of everything has been fine. Willow sits on the back of the sofa upstairs in the kitchen and watches them  :Crazy:

None of this is proper cat behaviour  :evillaugh:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 21:06:35 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 20:59:25 PM »
In that case my friend may I prescribe a gentle healing hug from me
Tx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 20:53:00 PM »
Do you have any Rescue remedy Christine? a spot on her ears may help.

Ah.  I am going to have to declare a complete, absolute and utter disbelief in Bach Flower Remedies (as I think they may be called?) as well as homoeopathy and similar.  I hate to disagree with someone whom I respect as much as I respect you, Teresa, but we are going to have to disagree on this one  :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 20:50:24 PM »
I hate the fireworks, roll on the day they are banned for Public use  >:(  >:(  I've just trapped my outdoor ferals so I can keep them indoors until a few days after Bonfire night, they started with the fireworks last week and they've drove me mad ever since  :sneaky:  The cats haven't been too bad with them but Zak, one of my dogs hates them with a vengeance  :tired:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 20:46:38 PM »
Do you have any Rescue remedy Christine? a spot on her ears may help.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 20:44:05 PM »
 :cuddle: for Blip. Bless her. Hope she has a restful night.

Lexy is fairly undisturbed she usually hates the hissing fireworks more than the loud bangers.

I dread the work up to next week and Monday. I won't be here, worried sick about how she will handle the noise.. Sometimes travel for work just  :censored: if you pardon the expression.  >:(

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Blip scared of fireworks for the first time
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 20:39:31 PM »
Poor Blip has reacted badly to (quite distant) fireworks, for the first time ever  :scared:

I have her locked indoors, obviously, and have switched on the television to give aural and visual distraction (although, goodness me, the output is rubbish  :evillaugh:).

Just another reminder about the stress for puddies and other animals at this time of year...

Link to CatChat