Author Topic: runs not getting any better  (Read 6656 times)

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
Re: runs not getting any better
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2007, 16:26:19 PM »
ok , thank you all for your advice

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2007, 16:02:52 PM »
I had 5 go down with food problems each one a few days after the other, which is why 4 vets were all looking for an infection. It can happen.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2007, 22:45:13 PM »
he said to leave off the i/d has it hasnt made a difference and to put them both on chicken for 10 days to give there tummys rest then he hopes to have the cultures back and see some improvement on the light diet

i have gone on the advice of 2 vets so i think they know better

Sacha, to be fair, thats what a lot of us have been saying all along, about trying them on plain chicken, so I don't see what you mean about the vets knowing better.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2007, 20:09:41 PM »
appreciete that , but i think your situation was different to mine
its obviously a bug
luna has had dicky tum from day one on and off , mango has never had a prob
they use the same tray and although i keep it spotless im sure shes caught summat off luna cause now they are both bad
whats the chances of getting 2 at different ages from different places both intollerant to food , no i,m sorry mango has had her probs but i think most deffinetly its a bug

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2007, 20:05:38 PM »
I saw 5 vets for stomach upsets until i got one with some knowledge of digestive trouble.
Practical experience is often better than a theory based one.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2007, 19:51:21 PM »
dont be so rude .....
i went to see peter my vet for the best think to do and he said he doesnt think they have a food intollerance or allergy as they both have it , he said that the normal cultures came back ok but there is a bug he thinks they may have and that culture takes a little longer to come back
he said to leave off the i/d has it hasnt made a difference and to put them both on chicken for 10 days to give there tummys rest then he hopes to have the cultures back and see some improvement on the light diet

i am not chopping and changing there diet at all

lets just leave it at that , i wont bother asking anymore advice

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2007, 18:22:34 PM »
If your changing them again you will NEVER get them better. I give up!!

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2007, 21:19:43 PM »
they play together , sleep together and use the same litter tray so yes they are very close

i,m sticking to the chicken and seeing how that goes for a week

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2007, 10:51:13 AM »
Are the 2 cats with the problem close? As in are they friends?

Only a week, dont give up yet

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2007, 10:44:08 AM »
what do u meen are the 2 probs close  :shy:

they have been on i/d just over a week

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2007, 10:27:15 AM »
Wise idea about the show, stress can also upset stomachs. Are the 2 with problems close? Maybe all the tooing and froing of shows and mangos appointments could have upset them.

How long since you started the i/d?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2007, 22:30:14 PM »
is it ok do u think to give i/d and chicken or would you stick to one or the other ?

Your'e not gonna know if anything works or not if you mix - just stick to one thing.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2007, 20:50:35 PM »
i,m really not sure what started it , it may have been a show although i always wash the cage down and the only people handling are the judges

its very sad cause luna has done so well at shows winning most in her kitten open class and we got to go to the supream , i have paid for it too and now i have decided not to take her  :( she has only 2 wk for her runs to clear and thats not enough time she has already had it for approx 6 wk and even if they do clear the upset might make her worse again or she may pass something on

i am very dissapointed but her helth is more important

hahah mango is feeling well enough to kick mimzy the dog out of her bed so she can get in   :evillaugh:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2007, 20:45:49 PM »
I meant to say that our vet told us that the Purina delicate biscuits are as good as the prescription ones - lots cheaper too.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2007, 20:44:19 PM »
Sorry that your babies are still not well, the Probiotic from the vets is totally different to Lacto B - the one that our vet gave us made both of our kittens a lot worse.  We had blood tests done and all came back clear, the vets seemed to be at a loss so thats when I tried the grain free diet.  I know how upsetting this can be and it really is a case of trial and error until you find a food that suits.
Another thing that might sound mad but is really true - if I give the Bengals tap water instead of their normal bottled water they both get the runs - honestly.
Maybe you could get a friend to buy the Lacto B for you online and give them the cash?
Could your little one have picked up a bug or something at the show?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2007, 20:42:35 PM »
ok so i will tell the vet that i am going to try the diet for a little  longer before the test, the test come back the same day so i could play it by ear

is it ok do u think to give i/d and chicken or would you stick to one or the other ?

i will also get them to order in the lacto b

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2007, 19:33:31 PM »
Lol i was 20 seconds faster  :P

Its important not to keep changing, as much as i hate prescription diets i/d does work well and if they havent been on it long keep them for now. Minimum of 4 weeks.
Badly upset stomachs need time to heal themselves.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2007, 19:18:06 PM »
The paste from the vet - Protexin Pro Kolin right? Isnt the same as Lacto B,

Snap MM! must have been typing at same time  :briggin:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2007, 19:16:23 PM »
keeping her on chicken longer before , then i was going to but the vet said the i/d was almost gardenteed to stop the runs and to come off the chicken

and if you meen the lacto b then that hasnt been a option cause i dont have a credit card to buy online
i have tried the prebiotic from the vets which is the same

Lacto B isnt the same as the one your vet gave you. It is recommended by Richard Allport, the holistic vet who writes for Cat World - thats how I first heard about it, and have used it with great results, as have several peeps on here. If you can't buy online - your vet CAN get it for you, they'd probably just have to order it in, its perfectly acceptable to ask your vet to get something in stock for you.

As the i/d hasnt worked, I would definitely try plain cooked chicken. Just feed that for a couple of days at least and see if it does the trick. Some people reccommend plain cooked fish too - but just go for one or the other for the time being.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2007, 19:16:01 PM »
The paste from the vet - Protexin Pro Kolin right? Isnt the same as Lacto B, it is based on soya oil which for a cat with grainy related problems may not work. Protexin make their version of Lacto B called Pro Soluble, your vet can certainly order this for you.

How long have they been on the i/d? I would do it for 4 weeks min, it would take atleast 2 to get anywhere.

What are the bloods for? They are young generally healthy cats so i wouldnt do these until a proper exclusion diet has been done.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 19:12:50 PM »
I dont know what your originel thread was called but right at beginning I asked a number of questions...........I have lots of compassion for sick animals.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 18:23:48 PM »
gill , your not been helpful
i am upset and if advice cannot be given i think a little compassion could , i look after my cats very well and love them very much  i have answered all  questions asked
please tell me what i havent answered ,

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 18:07:21 PM »
I think what I wrote is self-explanatory...............I am confused!

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 18:04:58 PM »
what do u meen gill , if you meen regarding keeping her on chicken longer before , then i was going to but the vet said the i/d was almost gardenteed to stop the runs and to come off the chicken and use that
and if you meen the lacto b then that hasnt been a option cause i dont have a credit card to buy online
i have tried the prebiotic from the vets which is the same

i have tried everything everyone has suggested , i think its unfair to say i havnt listened
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 18:08:43 PM by COSMIC CREEPERS »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 18:01:33 PM »
To be honest people have given you advice but you havent taken it, also I asked questions on the original thread and the answers would have helped better advice but you didnt answer.

You have now had a second opinion from a vet but are asking us what to do...............I am sorry but I confused.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 17:53:39 PM »
right , the results are back and at the cost of £70 theres nothing showing up
i got  little upset on the phone with the nurse cause she said that it could be allergy - i said dont even go there , mango has had all tests under the sun , and they know her well so i felt quite insulted at the remark
she said that the vet wants to have them in tomorr morn for full bloods and it will be a day job and it can go on the insurance after spending anouther £65 for luna excess

I AM SO FED UP I,M SURE THEY ARE RIPPING ME OFF I HAVE SPENT LOADS THERE IN THE LAST YR .

i asked her " as they both have the same thing then can i just have the bloods done on luna as poor mango has been through so much  :(  and she said - wel NO the vet said he wants to test them both  :-[ she made me feel stupid

They havnt even rung to see how mango is after her nose job , 7 wk ago and i had to insit they take out her stiches 3 wk later

i have just rung anouther vets for a second opion and the nurse said afer trying chicken for 3 days , antibiotics, poo sample, i/d dry
she said she wouldnt go down the blood tests yet as it was a bit extream just yet  and that she would try chicken for a few wks as like you all said it might be the grain or fat in the jwb

what do u all think ? have the bloods done or try chicken for a couple of wks ?

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 20:09:31 PM »
I have to agree Gillian, my Bengal babies dont get any food that contains grain and they are almost "normal" - as normal as a Bengal Poo can be ! :sick: -
When I changed them onto the grain free diet it took about 2 weeks before there was a noticable improvement but we persevered and Im glad that we did. They still have the Lacto B twice a week aswell and they enjoy raw meat once a week.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 16:42:11 PM »
My concern about people just putting their cats on probiotics is that it might be hiding an illness that needs dealing with by a vet.

The probiotics wouldnt work if there was some underlying problem causing the runs. I would rather use them first, after all, they won't do any harm.

Sacha have you tried the Lacto B anyway? and have you tried feeding just the plain cooked chicken as I suggested before? Like MM said, cats can be intolerant to the cereals in the dry foods and if you remove those from the diet completely, at least then you'll be able to see if that makes a difference or not.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 15:49:03 PM »
If the id doesnt work i would think maybe its grain thats causing them issues.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 09:28:30 AM »
it is really gettng me down now , i rang the vets sat to see if the sample was back but they said no it will be wed/thur
i am sick of it , mango is constantly wet from showering and i am sick of cleaning runny poo
 :'(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 16:22:05 PM »
Stick with it, i broke my lots 40g into several "meals" to try and help them feel happier.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 00:17:17 AM »
Might be worth trimming the fur around their trousers so it's easier to clean.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 23:42:01 PM »
well there on strick i,d diet dry only a set amount a day but there not happy at all and crying in the kitchen for something eles
they are not tucking in to it

i have to stick with it though

i took the poo samples in to the vets today and they could take 5 days , they still have runs and i have had to shower them both twice today  :sick:
oh no i have to go mangos done it again  :(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 16:53:44 PM »
They really need to be stablised on one diet and kept on it for a good amount of time. Its also important not to overfeed and to give them small portions so the stomach can cope.

Kittens last year had chronic runs for several months, the vets gave them different foods, pastes, potions, antibiotics and stool tests and nothing worked until one day a different vet gave his input.
Restricted diet right down to 40g of prescription bix (i gave a little wet as well cos they were soooo hungry) 2 weeks later the formed poos had arrived  :)
They were used to pigging and i felt so mean giving the rations but it worked.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 09:23:53 AM »
I know how frustrating this can be Sasha, we had the same problem with the Benglies, had every test in the book done and all came back negative.  The Lacto B has really helped and they are on Purina Delicate biscuits with Bozita meat.  Good luck - hope your babies are better soon xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 07:55:42 AM »
I was only thinking of you last night and wondering how Mango's nose was getting on!! I am sorry to hear they still have poorly tums, I hope the poo sample shows something. My concern about people just putting their cats on probiotics is that it might be hiding an illness that needs dealing with by a vet. Do you think it could be food related - do they both eat the same?
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 00:07:49 AM »
Seems like there is a lot of this around cos have seen the posts coming on on another site too.

I thought that Luna must be OK again as you had her at a cat show last week?

I know lacto B was mentioned to you before but you did not respond last time and seemed to be still using kaolin?

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 22:55:33 PM »
Sounds like something infectious if they've both got it.  I hope you get it sorted soon  :hug:  Can't be much fun.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 22:54:22 PM »
Just wondered as some vets will do routine bloods just to rule stuff out.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 22:51:51 PM »
Oh Sasha I can't offer any advice but just want to send you lots of  :hug: and hope that you have a better night  :hug:

Link to CatChat