Author Topic: advice on cutting claws  (Read 1507 times)

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
Re: advice on cutting claws
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 00:45:09 AM »
Bertie is a regular visitor to the vet for claw clipping (I've just got a "thing" about using clippers, even on my own nails) because he has strange claws that grow little bobbles on the end and he gets stuck to things.  We usually know it's time to take him to the vet when he ventures across the carpet and get stuck halfway and has to be unhooked  ;D ;D

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 13:46:15 PM »
I do Max's now, its just take a bit of practice!

I also do it when he's tired, o/h puts him on his lap and plays with his feet to extend the claws, then I  just take the very tip off with a pair of human nail clippers, which I find much easier than the 'proper' animal ones.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 11:42:07 AM »
With Mosi I do them a few at a time while he's sleeping, but with Jaffa I sit him on the floor facing away from me.  I sit down on my heels with him wedged between my knees.  I then put my arms around him and lift one paw with my left hand, pressing the toes to extend the claw, and clip with my right hand.  Best thing is probably to get a vet or groomer to show you how to do it the first time.

Offline LittleLijah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 11:25:36 AM »
I take Louis to the vet....soooo much easier as he hates having them done!
I did used to clip my last cats claws but I would only take the very end off because I was worried about taking too much off. If they stay still long enough you can see where to cut them though.

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
advice on cutting claws
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 11:22:34 AM »
Hey all,
i was just wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to actually clip my broods claws, Gimley uses the scratching post quite a lot so his arnt to bad. Phoenix on the other hand is a different kettle of fish she plays with the mice in the scratching post and thats the only time her paws go anywhere near it and then she stops playing when she realises what shes doing with her paws. Hers are getting long and since i've never cut claws before i was just wondering if someone can give me some pointers as i don't want to cut to much of and hurt them.
 :thanks:
Helen

Link to CatChat