Author Topic: Mums cat lost then found  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Mums cat lost then found
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 22:23:04 PM »
Agreed but as far as I know they don't have a centre and my mum is quite neurotic, especially since my dad died. She was out at 5am looking and I just think calling  during "office hours" is quite reasonable - especially when I hear that some of the rescues get calls at all hours. I get calls as early as 7am and the latest was after 11pm. Then again, it is for business (I am usually rude when people call at silly times  :evillaugh: )

The good thing is, Shelley has chosen to be an indoor cat since the incident  ;D
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 15:13:00 PM »
Glad Shelly's home safe,  :hug:  when I was to collect Max from CP I was told to phone after 11am.  This was because the staff were  busy feeding and cleaning out the cats boxs, but I could leave a message and someone would get back to me when they had completed their rounds, not an unreasonable request, me thinks.
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 15:04:10 PM »
I think its a bit harsh to say don't phone CP before lunchtime really. I'm sure the vet hasn't been told what hours the phones are covered and was just guessing. Even if she called and somebody called her back. I know she was frantic at the time. She told me this morning that what she thought was cobwebs in Shelleys fur (she is tortie) was milky coffee  >:( so I can only guess that some horrible scumbag threw a cup of coffee at her. Mum has checked carefully to make sure she wasn't scalded.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 15:04:43 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 08:36:37 AM »
I think "any reasonable time" should be OK. Otherwise they shouldn't be doing it.

We don't often disagree I know and usually sing from the same hymn sheet ;D but this time I think you are being a little harsh.  It is difficult enough to get volunteers and to say if you can’t answer the phone at such and such a time you can't help would be stupid. Some volunteers for instance may work nights and they can only help in an afternoon.  Also some branches are so thin on the ground for volunteers that dealing with the cats they have rescued takes much of their time and they can only spare a few hours a day answering phones. If more people volunteered to help and carried out that thought instead of just thinking I would like to do that, but don’t get round to it, things may be very different.

Often CP have an answer phone where you can leave a message.

You are quite right, in fact every branch in the country should have one as they are provided by HQ when a branch is set up if they don’t have one already.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 22:43:04 PM »
Often Cp have an answer phone where you can leave a message.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 19:59:57 PM »
I don't think the vet should have said Luchtime, I think "any reasonable time" should be OK. Otherwise they shouldn't be doing it.

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 17:50:02 PM »
When I telephoned my local CP on Friday about Sam, it was before lunchtime and I had no problem with them answering the phone.  The RSPCA had a recorded message however saying opening hours were 12-4.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 15:21:05 PM »
They also said don't bother phoning CP until lunchtime as it is volunteers and the won't answer the phone til lunchtime

Although we in Chesterfield  answer our phones 24/7, we  have to remember that many CP volunteers have  full time jobs, foster cats, do other things that are necessary to keep a cat rescue going, have families to attend and it is not always possible for all branches to be able to man the phones 24/7. It is not always a case of won't but can't.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 14:20:49 PM »
sounds like Shelley had an adventure in a potting shed!!! Not good to hear vets saying stuff like that, but at least SHelley is safe home now and your mum can catch up on her lost sleep...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Mums cat lost then found
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 13:42:35 PM »
My mum called this morning in tears. Her cat Shelley escaped out the front door last night at 8pm. She was out til 1am looking for her. she was up at 5am again and started knocking on nieghbours doors etc. She rang the vet who gave her numbers of other vets in the area. They told her not to bother calling the RSPCA til Monday as they will only advise knocking on doors, searching sheds/garages etc  >:( - They also said don't bother phoning CP until lunchtime as it is volunteers and the won't answer the phone til lunchtime  >:( >:( >:(
Anyway, after calling me, she carried on knocking on doors etc. She was talking to a neighbour when Shelley went zooming past. By the time she got home, Shelley was at the back door  ;D covered in cobwebs and a bit dishevelled. Scoffed 2 pouches and now asleep  ;D

Link to CatChat