Author Topic: cat proofing garden advice  (Read 8938 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: cat proofing garden advice
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 18:59:42 PM »

Great idea for your fencing Anne.

Bamboos are great for cat gardens, and ornamental grasses always go down well coz they can clamber right into the middle of 'em (and make 'em all flat, little s**ds!!) - think they like the rustling sound they make.

Offline lotsamoggies - Anne

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 18:27:29 PM »
Hi Tiggy's mum,
                        My fence went up about 18 months ago and yes I have one little soldier who found all the loopholes but after watching how he escaped solved the probspretty quick. He found his way up into the cherry tree and  also found a launching pad from a woody shrub at first, so I wrapped some of the spare perspex like a collar around the tree trunk so he couldn't scramble up to the lowest branches. and I used some plastic roof edging, the stuff that goes under the bottom row of roof tiles which extends into the gutter, It's shape has an incline,  I slotted it behind the perspex so it leaned into the garden a bit, which added just enough extra height and incline to stop him attempting to get out. The garden sheds aren't a problem because they can't jump high enough to either scramble up or jump directly on to the roof. Window ledges etc are far enough away for them not to be able to launch themselves over the top of the fence so everything is now fully catproofed.
I had to enlist my brother with his drill (I'm rubbish with a drill) to drill holes in the concrete posts and the iron posts and bolted the wooden batons to those posts, Then drilled (carefully) holes in the perspex. Using rubber washers, to cushion the tightened screws and just screwed the perspex to the wooden batons. Each panel was overlapped a few inches, drilled and fastened together with plastic garden ties.
Dead simple really... even simpler with wooden panel fencing, due to not needing to drill and bolt concrete and iron... lol

P.S.   Perspex can be a dog to cut, especially the corrugated stuff (flat perspex is very expensive) I think my brother used a very fine jigsaw blade to cut the piece for behind the gate, a course bladed saw will crack and break it, drilling also needs to be done slowly and carefully so not to shatter it. but it can be simply overlapped to fit so cutting wouldn't necessarily be required, apart from maybe behind the garden gate

Ideally you can't have anything close enough to the fence to allow them to gain any height and subsequently launch themselves over the top. but if you have a tree that you don't want to fell the only solution is to put a collar around the trunk and make sure the lowest branches aren't low enough for them to jump straight onto them from ground level, otherwise some low branch pruning would be required.

I used some spare perspex for a collar for my cherry tree and wrapped it round the trunk, extending 2 feet down the trunk from directly under the lowest branches and fortunately it was enough to stop little Woody (pic attached) escaping.. If any trees you have a smallish trunk, the biggest buster collar that vets use could be used to wrap round the trunk or you could make a collar from wire coat hangers fixing netting  or fan shaped segments of perspex to it so it looks like a big plate, with a big hole in the middle so it fits round the trunk. It needs to have a split from the centre to the outer edge like a buster collar, in order to wrap it round the tree. it can also be suspended with string or wire from higher branches so it doesn't flop down. If you can't picture what I'm trying to explain I'll have to try and draw and photo something then post it.

Purrlishious... Thanks for the catnip/catmint suggestion, it's about the only one I actually know of..  and grass of course... lol

Thanks
Anne

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 17:07:32 PM »
Hi Anne
Fencing look great. Well done.
Nepeta ~ catmint plant is a good herb to grow as the babes go mad over it. Rub it in your hands to release the smell or they may roll over & over in it languishing in extasy.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 17:01:04 PM »
 :thanks: lotsamoggies, that's great.  Would be interested to know your fixing method as I'm looking to cat proof my garden when I move but have very limited DIY skills and some of the other DIY methods are a bit fiddly for my limited capability! Would also be interested to know long have you had your system in place for and have you had any escapes or attempted escapes yet?

It might be an idea to start a separate thread asking about cat friendly plants, I have no idea myself I'm afraid.

:welcome: to Purrs by the way  ;D

Edited to add:  When you log in to Purrs it gives you an option as to how long you want to stay logged on for, it might be an idea to set it to longer than you had originally to save losing any posts you spend ages typing out!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 17:02:32 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline lotsamoggies - Anne

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 16:51:05 PM »
Hi, I just spent ages writing a rather long post regarding my solution re cat proofing and then as I posted it it logged me out and I lost it all so brieflyhere's my solution..
I  bought 3 metre lengths of corrugated pesrpex from Wickes DIY (onhalf price offer so cheap) and fixed it to my existing fencing and gate. I have attached 2 photo's to show both types of fencing .. concrete panel and chain link.

6 feet high wooden panelss would be easier to work with, as the perspex can be fixed to the top couple of feet of the fence so it doesn't extend above and no-one else can see it from the outside this also protects it from high winds.
If you would like more details regarding the actual fixing method I'd be happy to explain, meanwhile are there any gardening experts out there who can give me a list of cat friendly plants/ herbs etc for my little darlings to enjoy. I can find plenty of lists for poisonous plants but not many useful ones. All help gratefully received.
Thanks
Anne

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 07:27:42 AM »
Thanks for that.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 23:01:20 PM »
Have scanned the relevant bits instead....

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 22:06:21 PM »
If anyone is interested in doing a DIY cat proofing system I bought a magazine ages ago (Your Cat) that has a step by step guide to enclosing a garden and details on what bits to buy( ie it suggests clematis support mesh). 

I'm happy to photocopy the article and send it to anyone who is interested in it.  I have the DIY skills of a weetabix so will probably end up getting one of the ready made systems when I move but it might be of interest to someone else.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 22:33:58 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 19:05:36 PM »
thanks for the links! i looked briefly into cat-proofing a while back but it was just as a general can it be done, as i didnt have a garden to plan it in! i think the main problems gonna be the wall (or space around it)- can i fill it in with mesh/wood/bricks? or will that not be cat proofed? ive measured the fence panels and theyre already 6ft so thats easily sorted, the walls about 5ft, so i was thinking maybe put a 6ft fence panel (or however many i need) behind it, then the wall is like the ledge system tan has? block the gaps and gate the back access thingy (before the shorter wall)

lucifer would be the type of imp to get himself into hot bother if you ask me  :evillaugh:
funny you say that.... hes already worked out how to get on top of the top kitchen cabinets- scared the  :censored: out of me late at nite. and this afternoon we were having a sniff round the garden and lucifer goes to eat something then starts frantically rubbing his nose.. then i notice the flying ants, so i think he may have been bitten- hes fine now though, hopefully it'll be a lesson learned.
you may not get to see that wall but... you will get to see little gorgeous Lucifer playing till his hearts content.

you are 100% right cc, if its either/or then lucifers getting his garden! just if i can have both, then id be blissfully happy

Offline Gemma H (Akandra)

• Adult Cat
  • Hestia & Bacardi
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 18:26:47 PM »
The only reference I have for Roz's system is the pictures on http://www.woodycoon.com/html/cat-proof_fencing.html and if it really looks like that, its way too big for my tiny garden.  For my wedding I brought a cheap 2.6m gazebo from B&Q in case it rained (my reception was at home - this was a budget wedding) and part of that had to be constructed outside the garden.  Length wise, its probably ok, but width wise its likely a no go. 

I was thinking about using hanging basket brackets attached to wooden posts with some plastic costed mesh.  I got Purrfect fence to send me their brochure and a sample of their fencing, so I could take that with me and match it as closely as possible.  My fence is probably not quite high enough, but I could just make the posts talller and mesh in the gap?  I need to make it so I can take the whole thing down again easily when I sell the house.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 10:19:14 AM »
The problem with twiweld when cat proofing is they can climb the fence panels and then the wire because it's rigid and secure. Netting wont take their weight if they manage to reach it.

Many people have it round here including a fosterer and no one seems to have any problems. Although I appreciate as with any catproofing there is always one who may at some time work out a way.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 10:16:09 AM »
The problem with twiweld when cat proofing is they can climb the fence panels and then the wire because it's rigid and secure. Netting wont take their weight if they manage to reach it.
Twiweld is good if your thinking of putting a 'lid' on your garden.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 09:39:45 AM »
Twilweld from places like B & Q and www.users.zetnet.co.uk/spr/page13.html  is very strong and lasts many years. We when we first had Badger over 11 yrs ago we had a fence with gaps in, so we (that is the Royal we, in fact it was one of us who shall be nameless had to put it up when there was snow on the ground and snowing heavily) put Twilweld round the fence so our boy could not get out when a pup. Last year we had a new enclosed fence, but until then the Twilweld looked as good as new and (if we could have been bothered to remove it) it could have been used again.

I personally do not like chicken wire type of mesh. I have seen it used but it seems too giving and although galvanised I have seen so much that has rusted and pieces snapping making the holes bigger.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 09:45:52 AM by Ela »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 09:26:33 AM »
Gemma you can buy netting from here www.zooplus.co.uk  and maybe Roz could sell you the supports if you havent got a local metal works place.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 07:20:56 AM »
my garden is too small for Roz's system.

Are you sure it is too small? Our Shop manageress has a tiny garden no bigger than our lounge and she has it.

Offline Gemma H (Akandra)

• Adult Cat
  • Hestia & Bacardi
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 22:54:39 PM »
Gillian - your cat proofing looks fab.   Can you tell me a little bit about how you made yours and where you got the materials from?  I can't afford to buy the kit Tan used and my garden is too small for Roz's system.  Its approximately the size of your patio area, but the fence is not the most sturdy thing in the world so I was going to put in posts of my own to support whatever I use.  I'm stuggling most with how to make/find the brackets to produce the overhang, so any suggestions would be very welcome.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 17:13:14 PM »
Hi Snarf and of course the gorgeous Lucifer  :Luv:

I've been looking into catproofing gardens for when I move, have found these links which might be of use to you.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fencing/info.html

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fencing/info2.html

http://www.pets.info.vic.gov.au/community/attachments/catprooffencingandcatenclosures.pdf

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 15:22:35 PM »
If lucifer is as bad as his name then im not sure right angles would be safe enough!
Netting is better than wire as it will make them feel less secure if they do manage to reach it.
Theres some great pics on this thread http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=5761.125 a catty kingdom me thinks  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 13:24:20 PM »
great pics snarf and congrats on getting into your new house.

hope you get the catproofing sorted, lucifer would be the type of imp to get himself into hot bother if you ask me  :evillaugh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 13:17:53 PM »
I reckon it would be easy enough to attach brackets to the fences you've got all the way round the garden and fix twilweld, chicken wire or suchlike to the brackets, either at an upward angle or right angle. The safely fenced parts of my garden has both, right angles and upward angles. My right angled area looks a bit bare, because its the patio area, and only got one narrow flower bed in there, but the upward angle area looks much better, because I've got large flower beds with lots of climbers etc which have virtually covered the wire.

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 11:45:04 AM »
I would 6ft fence the garden all the way round then start from there, you may not get to see that wall but... you will get to see little gorgeous Lucifer playing till his hearts content.

I have 6ft fence panels in my garden (they cost around £16 each) and Im soon going to put the cat proof wire up  :)

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
and just cos i cant post without posting pics of my beautiful boy

top one is lucifer passed out after a catnip frenzy
middle lucifer was actually asleep in that position for about half hour before me picking up a camera woke him up
bottom one lucifer in his tent- he growls if you try to move it  :evillaugh:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 11:28:24 AM »
the rest of the garden
(it will have actual plants in it eventually too!)

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
cat proofing garden advice
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 11:25:26 AM »
hello! lucifer and i have finally managed to move house (took 5months in the end!! >:() and silly internet companies got its act together and hooked up my internet so now im trying to plan possible cat proofing.lucifers been out a few times on a harness (hes learnt that harness means he gets to go outside so he purrs while i put it on now  :Luv:) and he obviously enjoys even short excursions. im not really comfortable with allowing him free roam, the areas nice and only busy roads are about 1/4mile away (not sure if thats close??) but there are dogs in a few gardens and some big cats about so id like to cat proof if i can.  gardens about 9meter by 2meter so not huge but its awkward because the bottom of the garden has a 17th century wall. theres a fence behind it (with a gap) and access to the front along the side , pics hopefully attached.  ideally id like to keep the wall as its one of the things i loved about the house.  basically id like some reassurance that it can be cat proofed!

Link to CatChat