Author Topic: Sorry not a nice topic to discuss. Why do cats go away to die?  (Read 2744 times)

Offline fluffycloud123

• Distinguished Cat
  • monkey and jaspers mummy xx
Re: Sorry not a nice topic to discuss. Why do cats go away to die?
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 23:27:15 PM »
maybe they dont want any fuss and bother and dont want to upset you?

i dont know i just hope that my two go to rainbow bridge with me and that they dont wander too far :(

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 19:56:53 PM »
If you think about it, if you are feeling ill, the last thing you want is hordes of other 'people' thronging around and making a racket. I think they just feel off colour, take themselves off to somewhere nice and quiet to have a bit of a peaceful rest and then nature takes over. A nice way to go in my opinion - my poor dad dropped down in the middle of a busy shopping centre and was surrounded by dozens of peeking busybodies. Much rather go quietly and alone than in those circumstances.

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 19:38:27 PM »
I just think they want a bit of peace in their last moments, like when they are ill they will hide away under beds and hard to reach places. When I found my cat she had tried to crawl into a hole in the kitchen.

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 19:36:51 PM »
I think sometimes cats/dogs have a need to somewhere peaceful to die or just do not want you to see his happen. Its their way of trying to not let you suffer or see thier pain.
Ofcourse sometimes animals just wonder off and are found dead due to an accident and the 2 are coincidental but animals sometimes just need to die in peace and alone.  :'(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 18:54:35 PM »
I always worry when mine dissapear under the bed....  :scared:

I've had three cats die at home and all three times, they crawled under the bed and wouldn't be coaxed out. When Jumpy did this to me a couple of weeks ago, it put the living creeps in me!  :owwww:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 18:07:48 PM »
I keep hearing of ppl who have lost cats when they are elderly or young and just never come back so they presume they go away to die.

I hear it occasionally when people phone to say they have lost a cat and that perhaps it has gone away to die. I personally feel it is an old wives tale. Yes, cats do go missing and are perhaps found curled up somewhere dead, however, perhaps it was their time at the time when they were on walkabouts. Alternatively they could have been in a RTA made there way to safety then just curled up and died. Very often in RTA cases there is not a mark on the body. In truth we will never know for sure.

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 17:26:31 PM »
Ive seen some people on here totally dismiss this but personally i think sometimes animals do do this even though they are loved and cared for at home.
I have had personal experience with a family dog who did it, he had been under the weather for a couple of days, nothing to pin point but left my fathers side one morning (farm dog always at his masters heels) and was found lying dead in a quiet over grown area he'd not normally go to later that evening.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
Sorry not a nice topic to discuss. Why do cats go away to die?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 17:03:26 PM »
I keep hearing of ppl who have lost cats when they are elderly or young and just never come back so they presume they go away to die.

I have never experienced this personally as the two cats we have owned died at home Medrus died under the chair and Pwt died under the table. 

Is it true that cats generally go away to die and why is this so? :(

Sorry about the question :(
Love me,love my animals.

Link to CatChat