Author Topic: Cat not settling- bad reaction to house move  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Cat not settling- bad reaction to house move
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 14:50:03 PM »
THE QUIETEST VILLAGE IN THE WORLD..........................I WISH AND DONT THINK WE HAVE THAT MANY PEOPLE!

SORRY CANT ADD ANYTHING BUT HOPE HE SETTLES DOWN AND FEELS AT HOME SOON  :hug: :hug:

Offline Cherry24

• Distinguished Cat
  • Work from home which means 24/7 cat cuddles
  • Slave to: Freya & Gobi
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 12:25:14 PM »
Thanks everyone. I will take all your advice on board. We pretty much only have our old things in the house which helps. I use pet remedy as feliway seems to do nothing for them.
We are getting used to it to. A move from a big city like Sheffield to a village of 700 people is quite a culture shock but I'm sure we'll all be fine in time.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 12:06:58 PM »
I'd try adding some zylkene to his food too, and using pet remedy spray on some of the furnishings, especially if you've replaced any with new.  He will be feeling like the house is not his old familiar territory and needs help to adjust to his new surroundings.  Scent is one of the most important ways to do that, and having their bedding, toys, cat trees or scratching posts etc from their old home will be a comfort.  So will items of clothing of yours left in the new rooms, so they dont smell so strange.

Food and play are the other two really useful ways of settling a cat into new surroundings.   

Sounds like your move to the cottage has gone well, otherwise.  You must be so pleased to have made the move.   :)

Here's wishing you everything you hope for and more in your new home.   :beer:  :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 10:45:19 AM »
Poor kitties. Have you got feliway on to help settle them?  The only other thing I could think of was to confine to one room initially with all their beds and toys until the house begins to smell of you and your belongings.  At the moment it must be really confusing as everything will smell different as well as being in different places.

Hope he settles soon.

Karen
x

Offline Cherry24

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 08:56:15 AM »
Haha, yes. The noise is quite something. We have moved to what I have nicknamed the quietest village in the world and our cottage has single glazed sash Windows so I've been stressing myself about annoying the neighbours.
I feel really sorry for him as it's such a big change and as well as bellowing his lungs out, he keeps doing what I call  his frustrated meaow which is half shout, half growl.
Amazingly he was quieter last night (I wrote this post before bed) so hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 06:06:25 AM »
Just reminded myself of a few of your earlier posts and assume your cats are in fact indoor as orientals.  I can imagine the noise and sending  :hug: :hug: :hug: Don't know what else to suggest other than try and distract in any way you can think of

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 05:58:58 AM »
Is he used to going outside but you are (quite rightly) keeping him inside whilst he settles?   If so that's perfectly understandable and whilst upsetting is just a question of time.

I think I would try playing with him as much as you can to distract him.

Offline Cherry24

• Distinguished Cat
Cat not settling- bad reaction to house move
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 01:08:18 AM »
We moved 50 minutes away this week to the countryside and to a very different type of house. One of our cats (the one that I thought would hate it) has actually settled really well.
However, our other cat Gobi is not happy at all. For the last two nights, he has cried all night and in the day, he seems petrified and sad. We are trying our best and are using pet remedy. I know he will probably settle in time but it's starting to worry me. Any suggestions?

Link to CatChat