Author Topic: Pet Insurance (Again!)  (Read 5172 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Pet Insurance (Again!)
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 13:47:18 PM »
THANKS I HAD A FEELING THAT WAS THE CASE :(

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 21:19:19 PM »
Gill, I don't think they take on older cats. Molly and Toby were both 9 when I took out the original insurance with them and I've just stayed.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 22:31:25 PM »
I DONT KNOW IF I HAVE EVER LOOKED AT AVIVA AND THEY ARE MY CAR AND HOUSE INSURERS.........WILL GANDER COS ITS COSTING ME OVER £80 FOR MISA AND SASA............15 AND 18 BUT SURE I TRIED MOST PLACES A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO.

I JUST KNOW THAT I DARE NOT HAVE INSURANCE AGAIN AFTER NAPOLEON.

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 20:39:41 PM »
Sue, both of mine are insured with Aviva. Even though they are both now 14 I still only pay just over £20 for both of them. When Molly had her cystitis they paid up very quickly. I've been with them four years now and I wouldn't dream of changing.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 08:43:48 AM »
In the end I was so disheartened with shopping around - some Insurers insist you can only use their preferred veterinary franchises, and others wouldn't cover referrals etc.  I've stayed put for the time being.   :doh:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 08:41:44 AM »
I wouldn't go with anyone other than petplan now after the Axa debacle. Co-op are underwritten by same and sometimes a bit cheaper. Petplan give good, lifetime cover and include dentals. Increasingly you get what you pay for with pet insurance

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 22:31:36 PM »
I WOULD GO TO PETPLAN WHILE THEY ARE YOUNG AS THY WILL NOT GIVE PROPER INSURANCE TO CATS OVER 9 OR IS 8 YEARS. LUPIN IS WITH THEM.

THE OTHER TWO COST ME A FORTUNE WITH ARGOS BUT DUE TO THEIR AGE I COULDNT FIND ANYWHERE ELSE THAT WOULD TAKE THEM ON.....THANKS AXA!

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 18:24:40 PM »
I have no complaints at all about nci and it is straightforward. I was concerned as they took over my original AXA policy but so far I cannot fault them.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 18:07:24 PM »
Sky is with PDSA but I can't comment about how they handle claims as we haven't been down that road (touch wood).

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 14:43:48 PM »
Thanks treasure.

I've never had an issue previously with Healthy Pets, I just dislike the way there are now so many exclusions and increases of the excess.

I want something that will be relatively straightforward, and one where there is little fuss in the unfortunate event a claim is made.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 12:51:41 PM »
I am with NCI insurance.  They aren't the cheapest out there but I have had several claims with them and so far, touch wood, there have never been any issues even when I half expected there to be.  We'll see when I am claiming for follow up appointments but other than the expense they have been great.  No issues with getting through to their call centre (who are based in UK if that matters to you) and have been quick to pay - claims have been settled within 5 days of receipt, money usually about 5 days after that.

The excess does increase over 9 or 10 but that is quite standard - I pay a £70 excess and 15% of any claim.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Pet Insurance (Again!)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 07:10:58 AM »
I know this has been asked often in the past, but ours are due for renewal shortly.  I've insured for years with Healthy Pets, but they've recently began to impose "co-insurance" once a pet reaches 5 and 9.  Whilst none of ours are near that age yet, I find their insurance now is becoming more and more complicated with exclusions for this and that, and their excess increasing.

At present, I pay less than £7.00 each for the girls, and £8.00 for Moray, but now have an excess of £100 and the cover is for less than £4,000 (not lifetime)

I've had good quotes from Direct Line and from More Than for cover in the region of £8,000, but I've heard bad reports about More Than when people have tried to make a claim. 

Anybody got any recommendations or suggestions of who to avoid and why? 

Link to CatChat