Author Topic: Modified title - Sky's diabetes / Hind leg weakness  (Read 40819 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Vet trip for Sky :(
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 19:48:01 PM »
I'm so glad you persevered with this rather than believing the first vet! Am really hoping that this turns out to be nothing serious  :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 19:01:38 PM »
Different vet. Immediately said that her going up stairs wasn't right - like she drags herself.  When he felt her back legs he was harsher than the vet last week and she really reacted - worse on the rear left.

She is to go in tomorrow for xrays. He suspects it is a problem with both knees but could be hip.  Xraying all 4 legs and see what happens.

If there is a problem I will be very very angry with the vet from last week.  I didn't say anything to vet tonight but if there is a problem there will be trouble.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 16:43:43 PM »
I hope that they can find out the problem and find a course of treatment for the very lovely sky. :hug: :hug: :hug:. Good Luck :crossed:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 14:02:44 PM »
Adding my thoughts and hugs for tonight's visit.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 13:47:38 PM »
Sending loads of good wishes  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 13:44:01 PM »
In tonight at 6.30.  Now manages 3 or 4 steps and stops for rest.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 21:22:33 PM »
Sounds like xrays are needed.

Do hope Sky will be Ok cos this is definately not normal  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 15:00:59 PM »
Poor Sky - and poor you!  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 09:53:27 AM »
No, I think you're right to be concerned.   :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 09:48:50 AM »
Her claws aren't overly long she just gets them caught occasionally. :)

Anyway I've called the vet again.  Last night when she jumped she wouldn't put her back left leg down as she landed.  She moved forward on it but wouldn't put down as she landed.   This morning on her way upstairs her back left gave way under her. 

The metacam is not doing anything.

I can't accept that this is normal.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 08:40:16 AM »
Except when I got home and she was led on my bed and got her claws caught. I had a blinding flash of remembrance that about 10 days ago she did the same thing

You might want to consider clipping claws?  :shy:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 06:47:12 AM »
Sky is absolutely gorgeous.   :Luv:

It's a strange one, and no mistake, but I'm inclined to agree with Gill, that sometimes it's not always immediately obvious to someone who doesn't live with the cat to detect any changes and abnormalities.  I'd keep a good eye on her, and if things don't improve, maybe ask for X-Rays to be taken.

Susanne's Mosi injured his tail a few weeks ago, and a vet inspection couldn't pinpoint the problem, but thankfully it's healed now, and he's back to his usual bouncy self.  Moray had an intestinal infection earleir this year, which lasted three weeks.  Again, our vet couldn't put his finger on what it was, but we knew he had a temperature, was off his food, throwing up and had the trots.  Luckily, it cleared up after a course of meds, but we just can never predict.

It's good that you know how she should be, and how's she's been, and also that you have the video footage, which may help if you need to go back.  Am hoping however that she won't need to, and will recover steadily.   :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 00:07:17 AM »
Misa also was a total mystery and showed no sign of pain and was pushed and pulled but it was there, just hidden and he now cant groom properly and lies with his right leg straight out and does not come upstairs any more.

So please keep an eye on her cos I didnt go for xrays etc  to start with and two vets couldnt find the problem until the xrays.

It might be a muscle strain causee when she got caught and it can take a while for things to improve.

Also Ducha broke a bone in his foot jumping off the sofa and being 3 legged caused him huge problems, again xrays shoed the break and he needed 6 weeks cage rest to allow it to heal. A 4 legged cat maybe would have got around  so would not have been so noticable.

Sending best wishes to Sky  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 22:59:02 PM »
Very good news that Sky has been given a clean bill of health!  ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 21:17:50 PM »
She's a mystery!  Been given a clean bill of health - had a very thorough check and the only things that were even slightly  wrong were a tiny bit of resistance in her right rear leg and a tiny reaction when her spinal check was done.  She was pushed and pulled like a rag doll and barely reacted to anything. Temperature, eyes, kidneys ...all fine. no pain reactors anywhere.

She's home with some metacam - if it works then they will look further. If not then I can either take her back or just keep an eye on her. The vet said her cats go upstairs like that - I said that that may be the case but it is completely abnormal for Sky - in 6 year she has never ever hobbled up stairs.

So a mystery. 

Except when I got home and she was led on my bed and got her claws caught. I had a blinding flash of remembrance that about 10 days ago she did the same thing except got her right front leg caught in something in my wardrobe. I tried to free her by pulling her towards it and did have hold of her right leg quite tightly. She then yanked it free. 

So, I'm now wondering if it's that - although I would expect after 10 days for it to have shown improvement and she doesn't show any sign of pain when you touch the leg and no limping on it.  On the videos though she does stumble on the right front paw and in some it seems like she ccan't lift it high enough at times.

So, we'll have to see how it goes.  Good news though - she is now a mere 5.3kg - last weigh in ws 7.2kg  :Crazy:  It has been a couple of years since weigh-in so it's not been sudden!!!

Poor Misa, if only he knew that the metacam would help him :( 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 22:57:35 PM »
Misa no longer comes upstairs and wont have his metacam........sigh but other than not being able to jump and lie without his bad leg straight out he is getting round OK at the moment.

I think he doesnt like the taste of it but I kept him in all winter but he is out right now.............sure warmth helps.

Forgot to say the Sky is gorgeous  ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 21:29:08 PM »
I'm surprised she can jump though and run downsttairs with no problems. I did wonder if it was something in her back end as when she has been to the loo for a smelly she flies out of the litter box like something hurts her.  She's fine for wees.  Soonest I could get an appointment was Tuesday night but there would be emergency appointments if she gets worse. 

The metacam helps but it is clearly only disguising what's wrong so I'm not prepared to treat with metacam without knowing what's going on.  I know they will say some of her problem is weight related but the stairs issue isn't about her weight - she gets around and jumps fine.  It's simply going up them that's causing her a problem.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 21:13:51 PM »
Looks like she has a problem at tail end, maybe bottom of spine or one leg.

Misa has arthritus badly in one back leg and across spine and not so bad in other leg.

On xray showed he had a pin in bad leg from hip to knee, nobody knew so happened before I got him.

He went from normal to not being able to stand or walk.

I should have gone for the xrays and tests at start cos he was given a metacam jab but 1 or 2 days later he was worse.

Please get her to the vet asap...............two vets couldnt find any pain in Misa and all his rections wee fine but he couldnt walk.............she may even have a dislocation.

I now know why Misa has always walked with funny little steps for a giant cat but he now cant groom from the waist down.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Modified title - Sky's diabetes / Hind leg weakness
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 20:48:55 PM »
Thought she may have pulled a muscle but hasn't improved.

Last Sunday she took ages getting up the stairs, had been sick a couple of times (watery), didn't eat breakfast (honestly, this is a *huge* thing for her - in 6yrs I don't remember her missing any meal) and was walking very strangely - her back legs splayed out and she was unsteady.  The unsteadiness shifted and she ate again.  she just hasn't managed to get upstairs easily - down is no problem at all, jumping is no problem she just struggles going upstairs which isn't normal.

I thought it would clear up (gave her a tiny bit of metacam which seemed to help) and for a couple of days she seemed to get better but she's back at 1 step at a time.  Nothing seems to be hurting her so a little confused.  I've videoed a few examples for the vet. 

This is tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amK_9T3I8zw&feature=share

This is a couple of days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvdwO0wlao&feature=share

And 4 days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AKaXwCCT8w&feature=share

Bless her, she is determined to get to her goal even when can see she really is struggling.  As I've watched them back she does seem to stumble on her front right paw when she is bounding.  Glad I can show the vet properly what she is like so he can see - better than trying to describe it!

She's in on Tuesday unless she recovers!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 19:54:31 PM by Sootyca »

Link to CatChat